AOPA / Meigs Field new developments

SteveC

"Laconic"
Staff member
Hot off the press from Aero-News Network:

AOPA Takes Over Ownership of Meigs Field

Sat, 01 Apr '06
Startling Turn-About In The Meigs Saga To Be Announced Shortly

04.01.06 'Special' Edition: In a breathtaking change of scene for the Chicago landscape, ANN has learned that AOPA will shortly announce their legal ownership of Meigs Field. This masterstroke, coming just three years since Chicago Boss/Mayor Richard Daley bull-dozed the field under the cover of darkness and deception, signals a tremendous turn-around in one of the most hotly contested issues in civil aviation history.
The details surrounding this breathtaking news are a bit murky at the moment, involving a series of lawsuits, some insider information from a former Daley "confidante" named Lola, and a late night "Winner Take All" poker game ultimately won by Phil "The Shark" Boyer in which the title to the field was placed in the pot when Daley blew a few bad bluffs and came up with little more than a pair of deuces.
AOPA has been quietly seeking partners for the restoration of the field, and inviting industry businesses to move to or enter into new business operations at the airport so that its future will be assured for a long time to come. While the ownership of a major GA airport is a new venture for the widely respected organization, AOPA sees the acquisition as a "trust" to be maintained on behalf of the entire GA community.
ANN contacted AOPA for comments and got a guarded response from AOPA's EVP of Communications, Jeff Myers, who was surprised that ANN has already confirmed this story. "Obviously, there's a limited amount that we can talk about at this time, Jim, and I can't talk at all about how we actually got title to the property, but I can tell you that AOPA plans to open a major field office at Meigs, that the FAA has already planned to set up a new regional office on the field--and promised funds for runway rebuilding, that a number of businesses are already signing on to conduct operations at the airport, that we plan an annexation vote in order to remove the airport from the city limits of Chicago, and that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can pull off a Straight Flush like Phil Boyer..."
ANN will have more to report on this story shortly and expects to offer an Aero-Cast with Phil Boyer as soon as some of the legal details are cleared up.

They're gonna have a lot of work to do. What I saw of Meigs Field the last time I flew over, I wouldn't have even known there was an airport there.

As much as I would love to see Meigs return from the grave, it's not going to happen!

Read the article closely, a poker game, come on guys.............

Daley is a despicable example of humanity, but nothing is going to bring Meigs back.

That is a really bad joke. Oh wait I get it. They are going to resurect an airport that was loved by many people and was illegally destroyed by some •. Just kidding.
Not funny

Toonces said:
That is a really bad joke. Oh wait I get it. They are going to resurect an airport that was loved by many people and was illegally destroyed by some •. Just kidding.
Not funny

Bitter, party of 1, your table is ready. Bitter, party of 1.

hmmm.. I dunno Chris. That doesn't sound like it is that off the wall to be considered an April 1st blog joke.

Kidding. I saw the shot and I took it.:)

BobDDuck said:
hmmm.. I dunno Chris. That doesn't sound like it is that off the wall to be considered an April 1st blog joke.

Kidding. I saw the shot and I took it.:)

Actually, given my love life lately, it pretty much came from left field for a lot of people :D

Back