Anyone got insight for a fresh commercial pilot?

Coop0114

I'm sitting at 315 hours over 100 multi engine. I just want to know if anyone knows a good way to build time fast? I'm in Southern California and want to get back in the air in the worst way. I know "get your cfi" but I want a flying job like traffic watch or anything really so I can pay for my cfi training. Anyone that has some insight it's much appreciated.

Get your CFI! If you are in SoCal I would recommend American Flyers CFI program. After that you should have no problem finding a CFI job and build hours quick.
Yeah I know. But I need something now so I can afford to do my cfi.

I'm sitting at 315 hours over 100 multi engine. I just want to know if anyone knows a good way to build time fast? I'm in Southern California and want to get back in the air in the worst way. I know "get your cfi" but I want a flying job like traffic watch or anything really so I can pay for my cfi training. Anyone that has some insight it's much appreciated.
Air Cargo Carriers has 135 right seat ops.

It's been said before, and worth saying again - CFI. It is a great way to learn, reinforce what you already know, build hours, make connections, and get a taste of CRM.

Oh and you're in California.... aside from wild fires you could fly year round.

You can only work as a pilot? Go wait tables, deliver pizza, bag groceries..... something to bridge the gap, and keep working on finding a flying job. At your hour mark, it's going to be difficult unless you find a way to get your CFI certificates.
The way it is with aerial survey stuff I would say do that while you build time and can study while you are down in the hotel room. After a season there should be some money set aside and they'll be closer to the 1500 mark.

Drop skydivers, you build time quick. You won't learn much but it will put you in the position to work on your CFI.

What? You learn a ton flying divers! Such as the beer payment structure, pie tradition, and that the pilots seat gives you a great view of well endowed women who choose not to wear a jumpsuit on their tandem jump.

Very key components to your future success as a professional pilot.

Air Cargo Carriers has 135 right seat ops.
You can only work as a pilot? Go wait tables, deliver pizza, bag groceries..... something to bridge the gap, and keep working on finding a flying job. At your hour mark, it's going to be difficult unless you find a way to get your CFI certificates.
i understand where you're coming from but I didn't spend 70k dollars to bag groceries.

Welcome to the suck! By that I mean paying your dues for the next few years. Like many of us on here I wouldn't trade my job for anything but I also know how much it sucked to earn my stripes. Enjoy the ride my friend!

Survey or a SIC position are the best jobs in my opinion. You will get a gig eventually. Also try to stay current.

i understand where you're coming from but I didn't spend 70k dollars to bag groceries.

Neither did I, and I did what I had to to make it where I am today. I went from flying a Metro, to back to flight instruction and running pizza around at one point. You just have to do it. You want a flying job, but you don't have one, and you might go completely broke waiting for one. That was after being on unemployment for almost a year looking for that Metro job, and supplementing it with whatever I could find, flying or otherwise.

Welcome to becoming an adult, where you do things you have to instead of saying something is beneath you to reach your goals.

You came here asking for advice. First, I'd drop the attitude. Second, I'd listen to the advice you're given of taking any job to build the bankroll. Third, you already spent 70k and you want more stuff that costs money. Sit down with someone to figure out your finances.

Aerial Survey or Banner Towing (if you want to go that route, go get a tailwheel endorsement and a bit of time)... I was considering the CFI route, and while it's not a bad one, looking back I knew a WHOLE lot of nothing at 250hrs. Instructors should be experienced.

Back