Any Entry-Leverl Jobs!!!????

izanti

Wow good thing I didnt quite my current job while I went to ADX school because since I got my certificate I hardly see any jobs posted. Maybe its the economy but at this rate ill be done with pilot school before I ever get a job dispatching. Anyone have any luck recently?

Did you try Pinnacle? They seem to be constantly accepting resumes. They're cool as long as you can stomach Memphis...dum dum dum.

Did you try Pinnacle? They seem to be constantly accepting resumes. They're cool as long as you can stomach Memphis...dum dum dum.

The reason you always see Pinnacle on the job boards is because the place sucks. It is run very badly, they treat the people like slaves, and you also have to do all the load planning as well as dispatching. The software they use is very archaic, and yes, Memphis does suck. Very difficult to fly out of there as well.

The reason you always see Pinnacle on the job boards is because the place sucks. It is run very badly, they treat the people like slaves, and you also have to do all the load planning as well as dispatching. The software they use is very archaic, and yes, Memphis does suck. Very difficult to fly out of there as well.

What is the hourly starting pay at Pinnacle? Do you know where the pay scale tops out at? I have family in Tennessee not too far from Memphis so for me 3 years in Memphis waiting for a better job isnt such a big sacrifice given that I am 23 right now.

I would be interesting in working for Commutair, ASA, Piedmont, PSA or ExpressJet because of their locations near family where I could say for free instead of paying rent and for ExpressJet because they hold a special place in my heart for being the first airline I ever flew as a youngster. Right now, these places are not hiring but with airline hiring of all kinds these things change quickly.

One thing I was curious about was Jetblue ADX pay. Is it enough to live on in NYC?

I applied to to Pinnacle a few months ago and I got a call asking if I could fill out more information about myself and why I would like to join them. After I sent it in I never heared back from them. Sounds bad I guess but my friend who also applied the same time as me never got a phone call or an email so I guess I made it further than him but not far enough lol. Ill give it another try I guess. I would love to work for them because they are in Memphis lol. I like it there but of course I have never lived there, plus the ability to jumpseat on any fedex plane you want is kick ass as well.

I applied to to Pinnacle a few months ago and I got a call asking if I could fill out more information about myself and why I would like to join them. After I sent it in I never heared back from them. Sounds bad I guess but my friend who also applied the same time as me never got a phone call or an email so I guess I made it further than him but not far enough lol. Ill give it another try I guess. I would love to work for them because they are in Memphis lol. I like it there but of course I have never lived there, plus the ability to jumpseat on any fedex plane you want is kick ass as well.

:yeahthat:

Memphis has a lot bad about it but also a lot of good things about it. Sure, crime is bad. But there are good parts to Memphis. Plus where else could you get on an A300, DC10 or even a 727 on shorter flights such as MEM-IAD, MEM-BNA, MEM-DTW? I believe at Fedex offline jumpseaters are treated very well unless the weight and balance doesnt work out.

Dispatchers cannot jumpseat on FedEx aircraft per their company policy.

As far as the job search, just keep your ear to the ground. I keep seeing Dx jobs popping up and going away pretty quickly so you have to be constantly looking at a variety of sources. I don't have any specific leads for you right now, but I can say that I've seen the jobs steadily (although not in massive numbers) over the past few months.

Re: Any Entry-Level Jobs!!!????

Ya I thought I was told by some dispatchers that they jump seat on them all the time. IDK maybe things have changed.

I hear you on checking the job boards often. I am online multiple times a day checking for jobs and the numbers are always going up and down. I just really want to get in with a 121 carrier. I havent bothered with 135 or 91 because I would like the ability to travel and get airline experience.

The issue I keep running into and the main reason why I started this post is because I feel like when there are jobs posted with regionals the market is currently flooded with so many out of work dispatchers with years of experience that I will never catch a break. Even with all my flight department internships, Bachelors degree from Embry-Riddle, 10 years of flying experience, teaching dispatcher courses at my local school and (Im not trying to brag at all) but my age is fairly young (23) that when I have been flown up for interviews the HR people have their mind already made before I get through the door because they interviewed someone with actual 121 experience.

I understand its probably how the economy set us up for this but I just dont understand how regionals these days can be asking for 3+ years of 121 experience when they are the starting line for it. They dont ask for 121 experience if your applying for a pilot spot because they know thats how you get into the business.

Even if I got a job over here with a 91 or a 135 op I kind of feel like it would be wasting my time because its not "121" experience. Maybe I am wrong but that seems to be the vibe I get when I have been interviewed and they dont like that I have never used any of the airlines fancy software tools.

I'm pretty sure they lifted the restriction not too long ago as I have a couple of co-workers who have jumped on them recently. Word was defidently "no" a few years back when I was with 9E. As far as KMEM, I never had an issue jumping in and out on different carriers. Flights seemed to be most of the time fairly open with plenty of destinations serving MEM.

How do some dispatch schools say they have a 100% job placement rate if the regionals want 3 years+ 121 experience for their jobs right now?

With Mesaba, Compass, Xjet all probably moving, I bet jobs will open up with people that dont want to make the move to the new HQ.

Another thing to consider is that alot of times a company will hire from within. Thus one may have to take a position somewhere else in the company and wait till a position opens up.

Another thing to consider is that alot of times a company will hire from within. Thus one may have to take a position somewhere else in the company and wait till a position opens up.

Yup. Common practice at a couple of the majors. First dibs go to current employees who 9 times out of 10 snatch it up.

Yup. Common practice at a couple of the majors. First dibs go to current employees who 9 times out of 10 snatch it up.

Hold on, so your saying the majors will hire from within with no dispatch experience at all? Maybe I should drop doing line service and start throwing bags lol.

I have heared FedEx and UPS doing this with their people but I thought the cattle carriers wouldnt go near people with zero experience.

Hold on, so your saying the majors will hire from within with no dispatch experience at all? Maybe I should drop doing line service and start throwing bags lol.

I have heared FedEx and UPS doing this with their people but I thought the cattle carriers wouldnt go near people with zero experience.

UPS likes to promote from within the company and they may have done this when the airline first started in the late 80's but now you need dispatch experience to work as a DXer in their operation as far as I know.

I friend of mine that lost his DX job when his company went belly up went to the Republic interview this past Feb.. he has 18 years of large DOM and INt'l dx'ing.. he told me when he got there they had over 35 applicants there with more than half having the same quality experience most with at least 10 years..

The starting pay was $13.57, he said he aced the test, interviews well, but was never called back with an offer..

Lots of competition out there for a few jobs.. just saying.. if older guys with that much experience are out there willing to start over somewhere, what does that say for the new students?? unless an airline wants only green dx'ers.. which has happened..

The starting pay was $13.57.

Doing the math, 13.57 x 40 hours/week = 543.8 a week, 2171.2/month, and 26054.4 a year.

How do people especially those with experience and with families survive on those wages? I can see a young person like me that lives with roommates or with parents doing it but how do guys with 10 years experience (at least 33 years old given the minimum for DX license) do it?

The problem with airlines is that there is no unity inside the companies. None of the individual unions is willing to do anything to help the other. The pilots wouldnt sick out to help dispatch pay and neither would FAs sick out to help ramp pay and vice versa all around. The union at GM is so effective because of how many different specialties it covers. When you deal with one, you deal with all. Airlines need those kinds of unions. The whipsaw isnt just between other airlines. It is also between employees of the airlines. If management can achieve cuts from dispatchers and FAs, it makes it easier to do with pilots and same as when the situation is reversed. Instead of ALPA, it should be ALWA ( Air Line Workers Association).

FedEx hires a lot from within, but mostly people who had 121 experience get the job. Lots of dispatchers by day, box throwers by night working around the system get in. I think (no real info) a lot of the Pinnacle openings in MEM are a result of this.

UPS has in the past hired a lot from within, but of late they require experience. Lots of box throwers have quit, gone and put some time in somewhere else, and rehired. However, UPS isn't expanding at the moment and has recently been threatening furloughs.

Haven't seen UAL postings in a long time. In he past they posted for a Assistants or Notam editor jobs, and you hoped to move through. AA also hasn't posted in quite a while, only recently (last year???) brought back the last of the TWA people who were on furlough there.

COA has some openings over the past few years and they seemed to go external, though now with the pending merger with UAL I wouldn't expect to see anything in the near term.

DAL almost exclusively hired from within. They even maintain and internal dispatch school to get candidates the licenses. So, conceivably you can have no dispatch license or schooling and get hired internally. Though, in the past that took a long while in other positions, usually some management time. They also preferred to train you their way. They have rarely gone external when not enough internal apps made it through the tests. Once in the late 90s (??), and again back in 2007. With the NWA merger complete, I haven't heard how they're staffed.

Jetblue and Virgin are rumored to pay well (i heard around $50K to start) but the cost of living in those areas so high it almost negates it. I heard Airtrans new contract is a big improvement, but not sure where it starts/tops at. SWA also has a pretty good payscale, and texas can be affordable, but they tend to lean toward internal candidates also.

Otherwise, I think everyone one else out there may start around the $30k/year range. Though maybe Hawaiian and Alaskan are higher??? Keep in mind that some of the charter guys pay pretty well, World, Atlas, Polar come to mind, but usually want int'l experience to talk to you.

My biggest advice is don't chase the money too much, if you find a company you can make ends meet and like to work, it may be better than running to the majors. Then again, it may not... try and find some god input beyond the smoke and mirrors the HR people talk. And also, remember, it's a small profession. Chances are some one at another carrier knows how to get info on you unofficially. If you have personality problems for instance, it'll come to light quick. And if you see a job that requires experience or strongly requests it, apply anyway. You never know...

Back