Ameriflight PA-31 Accident - Arizona

I could take lightning strikes, 16 hour duty days, half working airplanes. But the damn Folgers in the lounge drove me nuts. I am guessing that crappy coffee attributes to the overal freight lack of QOL.

I could take lightning strikes, 16 hour duty days, half working airplanes. But the damn Folgers in the lounge drove me nuts. I am guessing that crappy coffee attributes to the overal freight lack of QOL.

I would say a significant factor... But it's motivation to advance your career quickly...

Dude. That Foldgers was one of the nicer things we got out at OAK. I'm surprised the Cooch even had the heart to squeeze that into his incredibly tiny budget. By all rights, we should have been drinking Kirkland Signature bulk coffee grounds under his regime.

Dude. That Foldgers was one of the nicer things we got out at OAK. I'm surprised the Cooch even had the heart to squeeze that into his incredibly tiny budget. By all rights, we should have been drinking Kirkland Signature bulk coffee grounds under his regime.

Dude I would take Kirkland coffee over Foldgers, well maybe I wouldn't I've never had it. Freaking tar water. Cooch pulled everything else after the move, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the coffee went away.

Kirkland is what we had in pdx.

Some of the Kirkland branded stuff is actually done by Starbucks if you look closely.
Could be, but it still tasted terrible. We also had some of that mix with water hot chocolate crap. I'd usually put a bit of that in to make it palatable. I know.... here's my freight dog card. :(

I mixed pepper in my Foldgers. Like a man. And because pepper, and Taco Bell packets were the only thing next to the coffee pot lol.

Could be, but it still tasted terrible.
What else would you expect from Starbucks?

I mixed pepper in my Foldgers. Like a man. And because pepper, and Taco Bell packets were the only thing next to the coffee pot lol.

Surprised it didn't burn a hole into your stomach. Who knows how long all that was sitting there before you arrived.

What else would you expect from Starbucks?

Surprised it didn't burn a hole into your stomach. Who knows how long all that was sitting there before you arrived.
True. Starbucks makes some pretty terrible coffee.

This is tragic. A friend of mine called the other night to tell me about the unfortunate accident, we talked about how we enjoyed amf when we were young but it's a high risk job. This accident really hits close to home cause I was trained on that run as well as did it for a month or two before becoming a perma floater. Back in 2005 it was a chieftain run called #300 and went phx-pay-flg layover -tuba city-flg-sez-pay-phx. The Flagstaff-Sedona-Payson part of the run was always trickiest especially this time of year cause it would be night and adding to this was the complicated fact of it being a VFR ONLY run, which at amf really meant anything from beautiful day vfr to ultra high risk mountainous night flying in marginal weather (mmh being another one that could be tricky at times). And due to this we didn't have portable oxygen on those runs, so he might not have had oxygen. Also I never thought the chieftain was great at high mea's in ice. The best advice I received at amf was from a bro pilot who told me if your indicated airspeed ever drops below 120kts in the chieftain it was time to do whatever it takes to reverse the situation. RIP buddy.

This is tragic. A friend of mine called the other night to tell me about the unfortunate accident, we talked about how we enjoyed amf when we were young but it's a high risk job. This accident really hits close to home cause I was trained on that run as well as did it for a month or two before becoming a perma floater. Back in 2005 it was a chieftain run called #300 and went phx-pay-flg layover -tuba city-flg-sez-pay-phx. The Flagstaff-Sedona-Payson part of the run was always trickiest especially this time of year cause it would be night and adding to this was the complicated fact of it being a VFR ONLY run, which at amf really meant anything from beautiful day vfr to ultra high risk mountainous night flying in marginal weather (mmh being another one that could be tricky at times). And due to this we didn't have portable oxygen on those runs, so he might not have had oxygen. Also I never thought the chieftain was great at high mea's in ice. The best advice I received at amf was from a bro pilot who told me if your indicated airspeed ever drops below 120kts in the chieftain it was time to do whatever it takes to reverse the situation. RIP buddy.

I've now had it all the way down to blue-line, handles like a champ, but it's a bit unnerving. With the VGs we've got, it's even scarier, the damn VGs will ice over (don't know why they certified it that way). Basically, I treat the PA31 like I treat any other airplane in ice - if I get into ice, I start working on getting out.

If your IAS was below 120, and you hadn't already taken steps, you've already put yourself in a really bad situation. Heck if your IAS is 10kts below normal and you haven't done SOMEthing about it you're dumb.
The fact that you didn't have O2 is stupid, at every AMF base I worked at, O2 was available for every run. If the MEA for a given area is 10k or above you're pretty dumb not to at least take it. Even if you don't have it. A reasonably healthy person can do 15-16k without problems. That clears everything in the lower 48. PAY has a GPS approach. AMF had a massive box of 430W's in bur 2 years ago. Why every aircraft doesn't have one, I don't know.

If your IAS was below 120, and you hadn't already taken steps, you've already put yourself in a really bad situation. Heck if your IAS is 10kts below normal and you haven't done SOMEthing about it you're dumb.
The fact that you didn't have O2 is stupid, at every AMF base I worked at, O2 was available for every run. If the MEA for a given area is 10k or above you're pretty dumb not to at least take it. Even if you don't have it. A reasonably healthy person can do 15-16k without problems. That clears everything in the lower 48. PAY has a GPS approach. AMF had a massive box of 430W's in bur 2 years ago. Why every aircraft doesn't have one, I don't know.

Woah bud bud. Didn't mean to anger a freight god such as yourself. Glad to hear that you now have portable oxygen tanks and gps equipment for all. Also good to know that all reasonable healthy people in all situations can go to 16k anytime with zero impairment. I'll ask my doc this year to give me the reasonable healthy stamp on my medical for unpressurized ops to 16k. Now lastly please reread my comment about 120kts. It is implied that if your indicated airspeed drops you will take some sort of action. It was my worldview that when it dropped below 120kts I would do whatever it takes to reverse the trend. Thanks for your opinions, you will have better results in life with less name calling. Im out.

Woah bud bud. Didn't mean to anger a freight god such as yourself. Glad to hear that you now have portable oxygen tanks and gps equipment for all. Also good to know that all reasonable healthy people in all situations can go to 16k anytime with zero impairment. I'll ask my doc this year to give me the reasonable healthy stamp on my medical for unpressurized ops to 16k. Now lastly please reread my comment about 120kts. It is implied that if your indicated airspeed drops you will take some sort of action. It was my worldview that when it dropped below 120kts I would do whatever it takes to reverse the trend. Thanks for your opinions, you will have better results in life with less name calling. Im out.
I think you're taking it the wrong way. With the 120 knots thing, you're already over 30kts below normal cruise speed. Why would you wait so long?
As for O2, lets be honest. Not taking O2 on a route with MEA's above 10k isn't even legal. If the company isn't going to provide you with the tools to safely complete a flight, why would you depart to begin with? As for GPS, I'm saying the company had a crate of them sitting in burbank at one point. All they had to do was install them. That turns a lot of VFR airports into IFR airports and the super shady "VFR" crap can end.

Back