Ameriflight Beechcraft 99 crash

I've always thought this video shows a pilot handling an in flight distraction well.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20
Anyone else remember Bax Seat and his article/piece he wrote about tossing cats out the airplane at some country airport somewhere, and the hell he caught for it? IIRC, they did it at 100’ increments, and it wasn’t until 1200’ that they killed or maimed one. Musta been one hell of an afternoon…

Attachments

• norm-gunderson-foto.jpg
    norm-gunderson-foto.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 18
“ I looked out the back, and the door was there. Wasn't there before."
Amazing it wasn’t there before! And then BAM! There it is! Oh well, finding humor in the corners…

That is the most New Hampshire comment ever…

Man, anyone here lost a door in a 99? I never did, but people said it was distracting but not catastrophic? But I don't know how that would be in IMC with rain and snow pelting the crap out of you? I wonder if he straight up couldn't see the instruments or something? Any wild speculation now that they found the door?

Man, anyone here lost a door in a 99? I never did, but people said it was distracting but not catastrophic? But I don't know how that would be in IMC with rain and snow pelting the crap out of you? I wonder if he straight up couldn't see the instruments or something? Any wild speculation now that they found the door?

Discussed it back on pg1…never had it myself, but knew many guys who did.

I had never heard of doors departing if they opened either. We had several open over the years at AMF but never depart the airplane. I never had one fully open but I had a latch open a time or two.

I had never heard of doors departing if they opened either. We had several open over the years at AMF but never depart the airplane. I never had one fully open but I had a latch open a time or two.

Really? It was 50-50 theyd depart with us. Granted the AMF 99s I saw usually had the door replacement (for ones previously departed) already, and THOSE specific ones usually just fold over.

On the level…how many times did you think “I bet I could close it!” Before you finally admitted it was a dumb idea and didnt attempt ;).

I know with me, 1 maybe 2 times i found myself pondering that, and then id go full paranoia and use one shoulder harness and/or my belt to “tie it closed” haha

Tldr: future freight dawgs

If you happen to find this thread…

1) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESECURE THE DOOR IN FLIGHT….one latch will hold

If the door goes:
(Chances are, it will take your headset with it, or just break it into pieces…learn how to turn on the loudspeaker by feel, and check to see your hand mic is where it should be …left calf sidewall pouch)

2) it will be cold, crazy, and louder than all hell…lean in close (like your on a crotch rocket), sqwk 76, and just chill for a minute and figure stuff out.

3) file nasa/asap

4) tell the guys you mentor to LEAVE THE DOOR ALONE…ONE LATCH HOLDS…

Last edited:
Back