Ameriflight Beechcraft 99 crash

I turn it on way earlier than all the FOs that enjoy watching the PM (me) load up with ATC, alt changes, speeds, directs, etc. leaving the busy terminal environment so they can feel super cool modulating pitch and chasing the magenta line while the thrust levers are in the detent.

BUT they all get very uncomfortable when I tell them I’m turning the FD off on approach in VMC. Two years on the plane and I’ve had zero FOs do that. Just me I guess trying to be proficient on a real visual?

Why would anyone have the FD on when flying a visual? Clear those useless needles away. :)

Oh no. The dreaded “I have to turn a knob and respond to ATC while you’re handflying.”

I guess only “The Real Stuff” can pull that off.

I don’t even like the autothrottles on when hand flying. Either the AP/AT is all on, or it’s all off.

Why would anyone have the FD on when flying a visual? Clear those useless needles away. :)

I don’t even like the autothrottles on when hand flying. Either the AP/AT is all on, or it’s all off.

Our policy is also AP/AT all on or all of, except for takeoff climb out and for go around (then you can have AT on with AP off as you hand fly).

Our policy is also AP/AT all on or all of, except for takeoff climb out and for go around (then you can have AT on with AP off as you hand fly).

Go around…..just advance the throttles, manually. They work fine.

In the -200, don’t even have them for takeoff, much less any other time. They’re a nice to have, sure, but definitely not a need to have.

The pilots who think hand flying is merely moving the yoke around, while having an AT manage the power for you, makes me 😂

BUT they all get very uncomfortable when I tell them I’m turning the FD off on approach in VMC. Two years on the plane and I’ve had zero FOs do that. Just me I guess trying to be proficient on a real visual?

Might I suggest offering ;) Some Capts give a slight side eye when I say I want to hand-fly from 180 down, and thats with FD and AT…but if they were to say “Hey, it’s clear, calm and a million. If you want to, you can do this without any fancy automation whenever” id have gladly accepted on more than one occasion.

In the -200, don’t even have them for takeoff, much less any other time. They’re a nice to have, sure, but definitely not a need to have.

The pilots who think hand flying is merely moving the yoke around, while having an AT manage the power for you, makes me 😂

I’m convinced that even though we have the same type rating, you’re on Venus and I’m on Mars. :)

Does your TOGA switch have one click G/A give power for a ~1000fpm climb for go around, and the second click give full carot go around power?

I agree, though a large part of it has to do with the way the A/T's are mechanized. In my other plane, it's all hand flying, but we do have A/T. They hold "on-speed" with the flaps at HALF or FULL (the two settings we have), and the airspeed it was selected at when at flaps AUTO (the equivalent of Up for this FBW plane). So you can hand fly, and the throttles will modulate to hold, say 250 knots, as you reduce your ROC. Not so in the 737. Must fiddle f*** into V/S if you want to not fly the F/D vertical guidance in N1/climb. Or I guess you could open the speed window. Come to think of it, maybe that is what I should do in such a scenario. But moving the throttles is just as easy. It isn't at all hard to do it by hand, for any given speed. I also hate F/D's unless it is real IMC.

Might I suggest offering ;) Some Capts give a slight side eye when I say I want to hand-fly from 180 down, and thats with FD and AT…but if they were to say “Hey, it’s clear, calm and a million. If you want to, you can do this without any fancy automation whenever” id have gladly accepted on more than one occasion.

That's lame. If I ever had a CA that didn't like it, they never showed it. They shouldn't be like that. Most actively encourage it, in my experience here.

Also F'ing lame. We should probably go fly. That being said, I definitely have forgotten to ask several CA's to turn them off, long after I completely stopped referencing them. "Oh let me fix that for you" is the well meaning response (mostly after I f'd up the automation, clicked out, and never looked back)........and they do a bunch of work for me to not even look at it again since there is a runway right in front of us. Hopefully I won't f up the automation much these days though :)

That's lame. If I ever had a CA that didn't like it, they never showed it. They shouldn't be like that. Most actively encourage it, in my experience here.

Eh its probably a bit of my own prudence not trying to take them outta what they're used to, and comfortable with, given its their ship, and its a bit subliminal.

Eh its probably a bit of my own prudence not trying to take them outta what they're used to, and comfortable with, given its their ship, and its a bit subliminal.

Oh I get that. If it made guys, PICs if you will, uncomfortable here, I wouldn't do it because who cares? I'm just saying they sound like some bi***es

I actually really enjoy the flying aspect of the 737. I typically fly up to 18-20k, and kick off the AP/AT at around 2k just because I try not to load the PM up as things get busy down low. It is a fine airplane to fly. Although it is really weird how crooked some of them fly.

To piggyback on turning the FDs off on visuals, that was something common in the Airbus community. Not following the FDs? Turn them off. Visual? Turn them off. LOC approach? AP off and FDs off. It is not something really taught on the 737 side of the schoolhouse so when you do it, it really does get FOs squirming.

I avoid "loading up the PM" when I'm hand flying but just using some of those knobs and buttons myself. WHILE hand flying 🤯🫣
(which is the recommended procedure for manual flight during high workload environments in our manual)

Qu'est-ce qu'un... throttle?! :)

Back