Amazon Prime Air pilots protest annual shareholders meeting

Serious question,

Why do pilots protest or picket at all?

Nobody cares, the general public thinks we earn as much as doctors, management already thinks we're overpaid bus drivers, and mainline couldn't care less as long as their regional feed stays staffed. I promise you, Jeff Bezos doesn't give a crap that Atlas pilots are stuck in coach deadheading back from Narita.

Maybe this kind of activity made sense 30 years ago, but today I just can't see any hearts or minds changed by a bunch of pilots walking around in uniform or a billboard truck driving around the terminal.

At the end of the day, the only reason that pay at the regionals has moved is the basic supply and demand problem caused by the ATP requirement. Lets hope it stays put for everyone's sake.

I think you're right - the public absolutely doesn't care. The reason why it worked 30 years ago was because aviation safety wasn't an expectation. There was a greater public belief that the person up front had their hand on the yoke, and they were making dozens or hundreds of critical decisions that affected their (the pax's) safety, and that the margin was thinner. That was a time when you could expect at least one commercial aviation disaster every other month or so, typically the result of pilot error. It's the reason airlines actively marketed the skill and experience of their pilots in their advertising campaigns.

Automation, technology and CRM have obviously combined to reduce over time the impact of individual decision making on safety results. Safety isn't variable anymore - nobody walks onto a US carrier legitimately concerned about whether they'll make it safely to their destination.

So no, the public doesn't care that the contract X airline's pilots approved five years ago no longer works for them because the pilots at Y airline are now making 3% more. In a world where kids are getting mowed down at school, and the division between the haves and the have nots continues to grow, the grumblings of (mostly) white men about not getting a 5% pay bump don't ignite the give a damn light for many people.

Exactly mgmt doesn’t like bad press. It if drags on it will affect the bottom line, especially when banks take notice. Look at what JP Morgan did with downgrading jetBlue stock. Jamie Baker referenced the labor issue.

https://www.marketwatch.com/Story/j...-bullish-2018-04-30?&siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

So send a press release to Bloomberg instead of renting space on a billboard.

I get the idea of picketing shareholder meetings, their opinion actually matters. But the general public couldn't care less.

Management hates the billboards. Drives them up the wall.

I get the idea of picketing shareholder meetings, their opinion actually matters. But the general public couldn't care less.

The shareholders take notice when you picket airports. They worry about the impact on revenue.

"Cause I'm a pilot, I only care about me.
I don't care if I bring your jet back code two or code three"

NSFW language

It's always fun when the kids hop in the backseat and my truck decides to randomly pick something off Tommy Rockers to play.

Bloomberg doesn't care about the actual service distribution because they all have NetJets cards. What they do care about is the general public flipping out because they might not have a flight to Grandma's ar Christmas. Book aways are what push management to get contracts done. In order to get the general public to book on another carrier you've got to create a very splashy level of uncertainty.

I think you're right - the public absolutely doesn't care. The reason why it worked 30 years ago was because aviation safety wasn't an expectation. There was a greater public belief that the person up front had their hand on the yoke, and they were making dozens or hundreds of critical decisions that affected their (the pax's) safety, and that the margin was thinner. That was a time when you could expect at least one commercial aviation disaster every other month or so, typically the result of pilot error. It's the reason airlines actively marketed the skill and experience of their pilots in their advertising campaigns.

Automation, technology and CRM have obviously combined to reduce over time the impact of individual decision making on safety results. Safety isn't variable anymore - nobody walks onto a US carrier legitimately concerned about whether they'll make it safely to their destination.

So no, the public doesn't care that the contract X airline's pilots approved five years ago no longer works for them because the pilots at Y airline are now making 3% more. In a world where kids are getting mowed down at school, and the division between the haves and the have nots continues to grow, the grumblings of (mostly) white men about not getting a 5% pay bump don't ignite the give a damn light for many people.
3%. Good lord I'd be so happy if we were within 3% of standard. 60% below standard is where we are.

many in the industry do care.

That's my point.

The people who do care, already know how screwed up this business is but have no power to actually do anything about it.

The people who can fix the problem don't care until it starts hurting the bottom line.

The civilians neither care nor can effect the outcome.

Amazon is going to go with the lowest bidder for air freight, no matter what anyone does. You could set up a 24/7 picket line for years and it wouldn't effect the outcome.

My view: the real target is analysts. Even if they don’t downgrade the stock, uncertainty around future profitability very much affects the value of a company.

I was under the assumption that JB picketing, on top of WestJet's vote to go on strike, helped propel getting the AIP finished? I could be wrong, that's just what I assumed. I don't see how they aren't effective by any means.

Back