Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

Where was all this GAF from the govt when they approved:

NWA/Delta
Continental/United
SWA/aairtran
AA/US Airways

???????

It’s ridiculous that after allowing 4 big companies to control 85% of the entire friggin market, they are now taking a stance against the remains carriers that are fighting hard in the 15% demising market share category.

It is somewhat dependent on whatever administration is in office at the moment.

Where was all this GAF from the govt when they approved:

NWA/Delta
Continental/United
SWA/aairtran
AA/US Airways

???????

It’s ridiculous that after allowing 4 big companies to control 85% of the entire friggin market, they are now taking a stance against the remains carriers that are fighting hard in the 15% demising market share category.
almost like with less competition they have to be more discerning to make sure the consumer doesnt get screwed

What was wrong with the jetblue/spirit merger?
JetBlue made it clear they were going to get rid of Spirit's ULCC model. There was also a LOT of route overlap. So a significant reduction in lower-cost ticket options for consumers. Of course that's all moot if Spirit can't survive the next few years on their own. It almost seemed like JetBlue management was trying to get the merger denied.

JetBlue made it clear they were going to get rid of Spirit's ULCC model. There was also a LOT of route overlap. So a significant reduction in lower-cost ticket options for consumers. Of course that's all moot if Spirit can't survive the next few years on their own. It almost seemed like JetBlue management was trying to get the merger denied.
Glad to see the real answer other than "Biden terk mah jerb!"

It sucks... but JBU management didn't do anyone any favors.

I'm wondering, with the airlines basically approaching monopoly status, especially if you look at their fortress hubs, and so much government intervention required to not screw the consumer, might it be worth it in the not too distant future to re-regulate air travel like in the old days? I admit I have no research to back up if it would actually be beneficial, but it seems to me we're slowly moving back in that direction

I'm wondering, with the airlines basically approaching monopoly status, especially if you look at their fortress hubs, and so much government intervention required to not screw the consumer, might it be worth it in the not too distant future to re-regulate air travel like in the old days? I admit I have no research to back up if it would actually be beneficial, but it seems to me we're slowly moving back in that direction
Should go one of 2 directions imho, either break everything up or just regulate it all. But I’m just a number so w/e

JetBlue made it clear they were going to get rid of Spirit's ULCC model. There was also a LOT of route overlap. So a significant reduction in lower-cost ticket options for consumers. Of course that's all moot if Spirit can't survive the next few years on their own.

Except that.... it was shown in court that ticket cost would have historically been lower because that's what happened when AzulNorte entered markets. (and that the SAVE price modeling wasn't actually that cheap to begin with.) Routes weren't going away, the network would have gotten bigger... And yes, SAVE was going to "go away" but again, what would have replaced it was a larger national/international network, more choices, & more options for the "price conscious" consumer because it would have been directly competing with the "big 4".

Glad to see the real answer other than "Biden terk mah jerb!"

Because the current administration has decided that it's their business to pick winners and losers, thousands of good union jobs are threatened.

Guess what? SPIRIT got rid of its ULCC model.

LOLz

It was a ridiculous over reach. Overlap? Well enjoy JetBlue cutting LAX departures from 36 to 24 daily. Unique flights like LA-BUF, gone. Same with Spirit. Plenty of route cuts as they figure out how to survive.

Spirit is adopting a 4-tier fare system like Frontier. The ULCC model is dead, and the government can’t do a damn thing about it.

almost like with less competition they have to be more discerning to make sure the consumer doesnt get screwed

The remaining 15% is being fought by Alaska, Hawaiian, Spirit, jetBlue, Frontier, Allegiant, and smaller ones like Avelo and Breeze.

That’s too many players for too small a playing field. They have to merger to compete against the big 4 better.

Big 4, and National 3…. Alaska/HAL, jetBlue/Allegiant, Frontier/Spirit.

Consumers will do just fine with SEVEN large carriers competing against each other.

ar

There are tons of airlines in the US alone. Just because Amazon is big doesn’t make them a monopoly.

Guess what? SPIRIT got rid of its ULCC model.

LOLz

It was a ridiculous over reach. Overlap? Well enjoy JetBlue cutting LAX departures from 36 to 24 daily. Unique flights like LA-BUF, gone. Same with Spirit. Plenty of route cuts as they figure out how to survive.

Spirit is adopting a 4-tier fare system like Frontier. The ULCC model is dead, and the government can’t do a damn thing about it.
I’m not saying I agree with it, I’m saying they didn’t do themselves any favors from an antitrust standpoint.

our govt allowed tons of mergers in two other critical aspects of life: Internet providers and cellphone companies. For ISPs, depending on the address, you have 1 or 2 choices. Sure, you can get the dumb Verizon box and enjoy a slow ass internet speed. Same with cell phone companies. Down to 3 big names. Sure there’s smaller stragglers, but coverage sucks. T mobile, Verizon, ATT.

So I have to roll my eyes when I hear consumer protections from mergers and choice when it comes to, let me count, 12 major airlines!

Was the 168 furloughed spirit pilots the result of the merger being disallowed? Or would it have happened anyway?

Airlines furlough because they are overstaffed. In the case of Sprit: engine issues grounding aircraft and lack of demand created an overstaffing situation which involved a furlough. Several friends were downgraded.

Pilots should be keeping this in mind if their place of employment is overstaffed. Airlines are not a charity. They are a cutthroat business run on thin margins.

Airlines furlough because they are overstaffed. In the case of Sprit: engine issues grounding aircraft and lack of demand created an overstaffing situation which involved a furlough. Several friends were downgraded.

Pilots should be keeping this in mind if their place of employment is overstaffed. Airlines are not a charity. They are a cutthroat business run on thin margins.

We are overstaffed. We aren’t furloughing. Or downgrading. Though you could probably use that.

IMG_1300.gif

Back