Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

Funny, I think inter-island is probably where branding matters least. I don’t think the locals care what the plane says so long as they’re treated well, they pay a fair price, and the operation mostly runs on time. There are definitely places where the brand matters though, especially Asia I would think.
I don’t know much about Hawaii but I could easily see it as the same thing as our local markets back when I was doing 135 where any loyalty was subject to the airline of the week with the lowest prices, most on time, most getting in, hadn’t damaged your freight, or had hired your cousin.

The AS pilot who along with his partner designed ASs RNP approaches is a great guy. Great guy to fly with. They later started their own company to market the service out.

I don’t know much about Hawaii but I could easily see it as the same thing as our local markets back when I was doing 135 where any loyalty was subject to the airline of the week with the lowest prices, most on time, most getting in, hadn’t damaged your freight, or had hired your cousin.

Hadn’t damaged your cousin…

Funny, I think inter-island is probably where branding matters least. I don’t think the locals care what the plane says so long as they’re treated well, they pay a fair price, and the operation mostly runs on time.

It's not the brand so much but the identity that matters. Everyone out here has an Aunti or Uncle that works for Hawaiian. Everyone remembers when they flew on a 717 (or DC9) over to Big Island in 6th grade for their geology field trip. Everybody remembers that giant Hawaiian logo behind the stage at Merrie Monarch. Everybody out here surfs with a guy who is a ramper or mechanic. Everybody has gotten a buddy pass (one time) to take the redeye to Vegas on a Friday night and return on Midnight Madness early Monday morning to be back at work at 8am. Those are the sorts of things that almost 100 years of identity has built up, and hopefully will remain.

You see it all then time at regionals, guys fly express for DL then UA, etc. Bouncing between mainline "partners". I doubt long term they keep the HA brand though, maybe come up with a new livery that incorporates the heritage? Personally I think the Alaskan name needs to go, it's too regional.

It's not the brand so much but the identity that matters. Everyone out here has an Aunti or Uncle that works for Hawaiian. Everyone remembers when they flew on a 717 (or DC9) over to Big Island in 6th grade for their geology field trip. Everybody remembers that giant Hawaiian logo behind the stage at Merrie Monarch. Everybody out here surfs with a guy who is a ramper or mechanic. Everybody has gotten a buddy pass (one time) to take the redeye to Vegas on a Friday night and return on Midnight Madness early Monday morning to be back at work at 8am. Those are the sorts of things that almost 100 years of identity has built up, and hopefully will remain.
Couldn’t Alaska just be the sole certificate and then turn HAL into a dba? Hawaiian Paint with Alaska in small letters? Alaska dba HAL

Couldn’t Alaska just be the sole certificate and then turn HAL into a dba? Hawaiian Paint with Alaska in small letters? Alaska dba HAL

Yes. Long term, as there is a sticker that says "operated by Alaska Airlines" on the plane, it can be painted however they want. The issue right now is that the HAL PWA doesn't allow the Hawaiian paint or logo to be used on aircraft not operated by pilots on the seniority list, unless they fall under feeder carrier language (how Empire operated the ATRs). So there wouldn't be a way to put an airplane operated by Alaska Airlines in Hawaiian paint until the JCBA and SLI is done.

Yes. Long term, as there is a sticker that says "operated by Alaska Airlines" on the plane, it can be painted however they want. The issue right now is that the HAL PWA doesn't allow the Hawaiian paint or logo to be used on aircraft not operated by pilots on the seniority list, unless they fall under feeder carrier language (how Empire operated the ATRs). So there wouldn't be a way to put an airplane operated by Alaska Airlines in Hawaiian paint until the JCBA and SLI is done.
That is a sexy scope clause you got there.

Then they replaced it with a CRJ which needed like a 4000’ ceiling to leave off runway 8, which spoiler alert wasn’t a smash hit either. Then after they finally got a retired AS technical pilot to help their team build RNP approaches (his and his daughters’ names are on the fixes) they continually shoot themselves in the foot by promising this schedule or that schedule, then

“oh, just kidding, we’re ending weekday service in a few weeks and if you were scheduled to fly back on a weekday good luck because we’ll change your flight for you but only the last leg, jokes on you now you need to travel back in time to make your connection in Seattle”.

Look, I’m not some crazy Eskimo cheerleader even less now that I work here but IIRC he was still at Colgan back then and the fanboiing was weird back then, that he’s still at it like 10 years later and can’t admit that “yeah, that isn’t the Air Line’s strong suit and I’m man enough to admit it” is weird and kinda sad.

I think the Airline did just fine there.

Back