Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

And that matters in terms of a JCBA and SLI integration how so?
Go read VX and AS SLI decision, and the arbitrators commentary on the financial background of each carrier. It matters.

Get over yourself at Alaskan. You have zero idea how Alaskan would be if this merger didn’t go through.

What does that even mean, get over yourself? I never asked for Alaska to buy us. Nor did I ask for Alaska to buy Hawaiian. There’s nothing to get over. It just is what it is.

Alaska would be fine. Making plenty of money YOY. Hawaiian is the one hurting. Summer months over, and they are bleeding cash. HAL needs this merger much, much more than AS needs it.

Where on a doll did AS hurt you?

honest question: If Alaska plans to keep the HA brand around, how does that work with crews, seniority, etc. Has it happened before?
You see it all then time at regionals, guys fly express for DL then UA, etc. Bouncing between mainline "partners". I doubt long term they keep the HA brand though, maybe come up with a new livery that incorporates the heritage? Personally I think the Alaskan name needs to go, it's too regional.

You see it all then time at regionals, guys fly express for DL then UA, etc. Bouncing between mainline "partners". I doubt long term they keep the HA brand though, maybe come up with a new livery that incorporates the heritage? Personally I think the Alaskan name needs to go, it's too regional.
I mean technically the name is gone, because Alaskan doesn't exist.

I agree. But by just having all things Hawaiian Airlines on the plane generates a double digit revenue premium on flights from the west coast to Hawaii. That's a large part of what I think they are buying, so I don't think they want to give that up. That and trying to market the Alaska name in Asia and South Pac.

I agree. But by just having all things Hawaiian Airlines on the plane generates a double digit revenue premium on flights from the west coast to Hawaii. That's a large part of what I think they are buying, so I don't think they want to give that up. That and trying to market the Alaska name in Asia and South Pac.

At the bare minimum, I don't see how you could get rid of the Hawaiian branding on the interisland routes. I'm pretty sure the state government would have a lot to say on the issue, too.

And I am one of those people. We can fly Southwest, AA or Hawaiian direct to the islands from here in Phoenix, and I've paid a marginal premium to fly HA rather than the other two. The fact that we get the 787 here while the other two are operating narrowbodies doesn't hurt either. The brand certainly has value and I don't think Alaska is buying HA to turn it into Alaska.

At the bare minimum, I don't see how you could get rid of the Hawaiian branding on the interisland routes. I'm pretty sure the state government would have a lot to say on the issue, too.

And I am one of those people. We can fly Southwest, AA or Hawaiian direct to the islands from here in Phoenix, and I've paid a marginal premium to fly HA rather than the other two. The fact that we get the 787 here while the other two are operating narrowbodies doesn't hurt either. The brand certainly has value and I don't think Alaska is buying HA to turn it into Alaska.
Funny, I think inter-island is probably where branding matters least. I don’t think the locals care what the plane says so long as they’re treated well, they pay a fair price, and the operation mostly runs on time. There are definitely places where the brand matters though, especially Asia I would think.

Funny, I think inter-island is probably where branding matters least. I don’t think the locals care what the plane says so long as they’re treated well, they pay a fair price, and the operation mostly runs on time. There are definitely places where the brand matters though, especially Asia I would think.

I think this is where the Long’s Drugs argument comes into play. Branding matters a lot in the islands.

I’m pretty sure it’s residual butt hurt from 10 year old drama when everyone who’d ever flown in SE AK told him that a certain Air Line flying to jnu with just the LDA-Z wasn’t gonna be a recipe for success and spoiler alert it wasn’t.
Then they replaced it with a CRJ which needed like a 4000’ ceiling to leave off runway 8, which spoiler alert wasn’t a smash hit either. Then after they finally got a retired AS technical pilot to help their team build RNP approaches (his and his daughters’ names are on the fixes) they continually shoot themselves in the foot by promising this schedule or that schedule, then

“oh, just kidding, we’re ending weekday service in a few weeks and if you were scheduled to fly back on a weekday good luck because we’ll change your flight for you but only the last leg, jokes on you now you need to travel back in time to make your connection in Seattle”.

Look, I’m not some crazy Eskimo cheerleader even less now that I work here but IIRC he was still at Colgan back then and the fanboiing was weird back then, that he’s still at it like 10 years later and can’t admit that “yeah, that isn’t the Air Line’s strong suit and I’m man enough to admit it” is weird and kinda sad.

Back