Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

I
Wait, how did SkyWest get involved in this?
I think they were referring to Horizon. AS didn’t have a scope clause prior to the current contract which led to horizon flying the heavier -175s.

Come to think of it, if I recall correctly sometime in 22 OO did receive a few 175s that were suppose to be delivered to Horizon because they couldn’t staff them so I guess maybe SkyWest is a part of this.

¯\_( ˘͡ ˘̯)_/¯

No. I’ve seen this rodeo before twice, and how the virtual shop likes to operate.

And no, CEO of HAL is done. He walks off rich. It’s not him I’d be worried about.

Ehh, this is like saying that because you have seen one cloud, you have seen all clouds. This merger is completely different. It is a different industry, different economy, different intentions, different outlook and a different future. We have literally no idea what this is going to look like. It is fun to pretend and to think we know, but we have no idea. I have had C Suites look me directly in the eye and tell me the HA 321s aren't going away anytime soon. That can change tomorrow and it might already have changed.

We do know, is that we don't know where the widebodies are going, we don't know how many, we don't know what the fleet plan is, we don't know what the basing plan is, we don't know what the staffing is.

I think the only 2 things I’ve heard that I would put much stock in are that there will be widebodies in SEA and that the 717s will be replaced by a guppy (which I’m not super familiar with the inter-island market but wouldn’t the -7 be the only new production variant that would have the performance for some of those airports?)

I have had C Suites look me directly in the eye and tell me the HA 321s aren't going away anytime soon. That can change tomorrow and it might already have changed.

Which means they’re done for. Gone.

I’ve been through two clouds, and they both seem to have similar recurring themes. The sad thing is watching pilots pretend, that somehow, THIS one will be different.

We do know, is that we don't know where the widebodies are going, we don't know how many, we don't know what the fleet plan is, we don't know what the basing plan is, we don't know what the staffing is.

Ben M wants to leave a legacy. Tilden brought Virgin. The Ben is going to leave a legacy of widebodies at Alaska.

Sure, some will stay in HNL obviously. But they’re coming to SEA and probably as soon as they can pull that off from a paperwork, legality standpoint.

He said it himself. Not a question of if, but when (for widebodies in SEA).

wouldn’t the -7 be the only new production variant that would have the performance for some of those airports?)
We fly to all the airports they do interisland to with the exception of Hilo (which has a 9,800' runway)
They used to go to MKK (4,500') but not for a long time.

I think the only 2 things I’ve heard that I would put much stock in are that there will be widebodies in SEA and that the 717s will be replaced by a guppy (which I’m not super familiar with the inter-island market but wouldn’t the -7 be the only new production variant that would have the performance for some of those airports?)

Yup. Long term, 737 and 787 dual fleet. It’s sad there are people who think we’ll have 5 fleets. Short term yes, long term, no.

Why SEA widebody?

There’s only one gate for widebodies in SEA for all of our gates except for S.

Even then I think they built stuff wrong and the airplanes won’t fit anyway?

I

I think they were referring to Horizon. AS didn’t have a scope clause prior to the current contract which led to horizon flying the heavier -175s.

Come to think of it, if I recall correctly sometime in 22 OO did receive a few 175s that were suppose to be delivered to Horizon because they couldn’t staff them so I guess maybe SkyWest is a part of this.

¯\_( ˘͡ ˘̯)_/¯
You can tell the QX 175’s that Skywest flies, they have the small horizontal/white antenna’s on the Eskimo forehead, that’s part of the CATIII autoland. (3rd VHF receiver, I think I remember).

You can tell the QX 175’s that Skywest flies, they have the small horizontal/white antenna’s on the Eskimo forehead, that’s part of the CATIII autoland. (3rd VHF receiver, I think I remember).
Which they promptly turned around and downgraded the aircraft from because Joseph Smith said that CAT II was enough, etc.

(though in reality they just don't want to train people for the autolands)

Paradoxically, the maintained site is more-distressing:
1724204174583.png 1724204212598.png

Twitter logo versus formerly-known-as-Twitter logo

I know you know this. HAL can’t pull off what it’s doing in HNL with its current size. Not enough intl Asia, demand still not pre-Covid, and losses continue. Nor is AS buying them to leave HNL its current size. You know widebodies are headed to SEA and HNL will be right-sized. Whatever that size is. And 4 fleets? Good luck.

HNL is headed for less airframes and manpower. That is gonna happen regardless. Far better to have it happen as an AS merger than a HAL bankruptcy, which would have been guaranteed if this merger fell apart.

How do you know Alaskan wouldn't go into bankruptcy without HAL? No wide-bodies, no international feed, crummy cargo operation, no exposure to the East Coast, codeshare everything that makes money. Far better for AS to get widebodies and access to the Asian Market than what they had previously.

Happy to have you guys here!

IF IT ISN'T THE ONE AND ONLY LEE MOAK!

Lee, so nice to see you again! You said the same things to Northwest guys during the DAL/NWA Merger. They, the NWA guys did bring to DAL, a superior International network, superior cargo operation, more robust wide-bodies, better contractual language, etc. So, as a lot of NWA Management did survive, especially in Flight Ops, how do you know HQ won't be filled with HAL Management and it will look more Aloha than Eskimo?

Back