Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

I'm sure there will be changes, but when Alaska took over VX, they didn't promise the governors and senators of California and New York, as well as the federal government, that they wouldn't shrink or remove the operations there. I would kind of guess that if they ever want another federal approval of anything, they will at least make a good faith effort to minimize any damage.

I know you know this. HAL can’t pull off what it’s doing in HNL with its current size. Not enough intl Asia, demand still not pre-Covid, and losses continue. Nor is AS buying them to leave HNL its current size. You know widebodies are headed to SEA and HNL will be right-sized. Whatever that size is. And 4 fleets? Good luck.

HNL is headed for less airframes and manpower. That is gonna happen regardless. Far better to have it happen as an AS merger than a HAL bankruptcy, which would have been guaranteed if this merger fell apart.

I know you know this. HAL can’t pull off what it’s doing in HNL with its current size. Not enough intl Asia, demand still not pre-Covid, and losses continue. Nor is AS buying them to leave HNL its current size. You know widebodies are headed to SEA and HNL will be right-sized. Whatever that size is. And 4 fleets? Good luck.

HNL is headed for less airframes and manpower. That is gonna happen regardless. Far better to have it happen as an AS merger than a HAL bankruptcy, which would have been guaranteed if this merger fell apart.
Today August 20th @1309 CC put another feather in his cap. CEO of Hawaiian Airlines

I have no idea how it would have played out. My only comment was on the fact that Alaska promised a whole lot of very important people, some very specific things.

Getting bought sucks. It’s like how it’s easier to break up with someone than get broken up with. It’s something that happens to you and didn’t necessarily want it.

I never wanted to work at Alaskan, that’s why I never applied. Yet here I am. I’m confident we will be fine once the dust settles, but the identity and culture of the company with be gone. It certainly was for us.

By all means, let’s start wildly speculating on the future operations of the combined airline. Nothing spells brotherhood like making a bunch of • up to add anxiety to an already anxious situation.
I've never understood this particular pilot habit. It's very Telegram-chat or Facebook group-like wherein a bunch of low-information, mouth-breathing knuckleheads engage in ribald speculation and rumor mongering than in a productive conversation.

Getting bought sucks. It’s like how it’s easier to break up with someone than get broken up with. It’s something that happens to you and didn’t necessarily want it.

I never wanted to work at Alaskan, that’s why I never applied. Yet here I am. I’m confident we will be fine once the dust settles, but the identity and culture of the company with be gone. It certainly was for us.
When JetBlue showed up with their grubby blue hands at Spirit I knew it meant the end or at least irreparable damage, frankly, irrespective of the transaction's outcome, to the culture, which was a huge plus about the place.

So we are already going to act like we are somehow better than the HA pilots because their airline “never would have made it financially?”

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah from AS Captains who got absolutely rekt during the SLI with VX ranting in cruise…

You’re now that guy on paper:
IMG_8962.jpeg

So we are already going to act like we are somehow better than the HA pilots because their airline “never would have made it financially?”

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah from AS Captains who got absolutely rekt during the SLI with VX ranting in cruise…

You’re now that guy on paper:
View attachment 79321

Correction: Senior* VX guys got screwed, the ones who were either DECs or spent under 12 months as a FO.

I did fine.

Correction: Senior* VX guys got screwed, the ones who were either DECs or spent under 12 months as a FO.

I did fine.

I think there are pretty legitimate complaints from the AS side, based on the "relative seniority" used for SLI. Before my time, and I imagine it is now largely water under the bridge, but I don't think it was super great for a certain seniority group at AS either.

I think there are pretty legitimate complaints from the AS side, based on the "relative seniority" used for SLI. Before my time, and I imagine it is now largely water under the bridge, but I don't think it was super great for a certain seniority group at AS either.

That seemed to be the group I was flying with in 2018-2019. Not a lot of happy campers.

It was fine. When both sides have swaths that are pissed, it was probably a fairly decent outcome.

Back