Alaska Flight diverted after pilot admits he isn’t qualified to land

thats cool, where does it load?
sidebar, only drive the NG but they dont let us load anything into RTE 2. something about how the fmc has so little memory it can cause it to reset and accidentally load RTE 2 as RTE 1. kind of annoying as on the bus I was used to programming a special engine out in the secondary and here we just have stupid fix lines and arcs all over the ND

I’ve never seen anyone here do it, and maybe that is why. But I did punch a quick route in (without executing obviously) when we were holding near HNL one night and it wasn’t looking good. Guy i was flying with didn’t seem to have been bothered by it. If it truly can make it crash, and that isn’t just an old -400 wives tale, then it’s probably good nobody uses it. I know it wouldn’t be the weirdest FMS glitch I’ve heard of happening in this hooptie……..cough“dont load the approach in before the descent winds are loaded if going to HI in tails XXX, YYY, and ZZZ, but its cool for all others, but i bet your old CA wont believe that!”cough

Would also be pretty cool if Honeywell or whoever it is, would hook us up with a processor built since i was in middle school. Though my Tandy was pretty great…..

Route 2, or route 1 if you’re already using route 2, works just fine. No glitches. The only issue is when some dimwit sees an execute light if the other route is up and presses the button, not knowing what it is he’s executing, and activates the other route unintentionally.

Either some wives tale or something specific to the NG. Not an issue in the Classic. And not possible in the Jurassic.

There really ought to be a course taught to all airline pilots, called “PAs and you - preventing the next PR disaster”

And it should go something like this…

1. STFU

2. When in doubt, refer to rule 1.

3. Less is more

4. You’ll reserve a special rung in hell for any PA other than “seatbelts” between the hours of 10pm-8am.

5. There is NO such thing as you are not qualified to land. The official reason is, the weather is below the minimums required of us today.

6. What idiot thought it was a good idea to say one isn’t qualified to land and has to divert? See rule #1.

7. Does your current wife or girlfriend like you sharing stories of your ex? No? Well no one GAF about your ex- military, Corpie, or airline background on the PA.

8. Stand up comedy is actually a career field - leave it for the professionals.

9. STFU - refer to rule #1.

10. ATIS reading. Ok, no one - and I mean no one - cares the winds are from 225 at 20 knots. A. They don’t know 225 degrees in relation to anything. 2. In your best Anne Heche voice, what the hell is a knot?

11. It’s always just “[one adjective] winds, [one adjevtive] clouds, and temperature. Example: light winds, partly cloudy skies, and temperature 75 degrees. And rain/snow if applicable.

12. When in doubt and your hand is reaching for the PA… Don’t.

Other than “brace for landing”, I’m okay with no announcements from up front.

“Ooh, look at this nice 4 day with a Hawaii layover in open time. That beats doing back to back redeye trips! Let’s see who the captain is….hmm top 10% at the company….that’s a lil red-flaggy…yolo”

Except today, zero opentime in my base/seat. It’s pick up now, ask questions later.

panicked straight time pickup strategy always a good sign

This day and age, it’s a good strategy.

1. If you don’t like it, do a straight drop.

2. If that doesn’t work, put it out for grab. It’ll be taken.

I routinely hog opentime trips even if I know I won’t fly it. I use it as leverage/bargain power for pilot trades, or wait until something better comes along.

Yeah, I missed all that. Server migration weekend (boeing -> callisto -> phobos -> deimos -> protomolecule), off of a week in the office and handling "a very optional, supremely easy to see coming in slow-motion disaster" on another work-related front so I've been a little... out there.

Adulting sucks. And yes, I've tried being more senior.
Dude. You missed A LOT!

Now this is a good impression, @derg is this a Delta level compliment?

@Maximilian_Jenius for all the stuff you write that I lack empathy, sociopath, etc, here is a grad student who studies psychology and leadership, and she seems very impressed. Apparently I have empathy, calm, and a good leader?

See? I’m not that bad a guy ;)

[I redacted flight number]

IMG_1832.jpeg

@Maximilian_Jenius for all the stuff you write that I lack empathy, sociopath, etc, here is a grad student who studies psychology and leadership, and she seems very impressed. Apparently I have empathy, calm, and a good leader?

View attachment 79314
Add narcissist to the list?

View attachment 79314
The character that you like to play here, is all of the things and more, that I have described about you.

View attachment 79314

"Daddy, daddy, look what I did! I'm a good boy!" :)

Congratulations on the PA.

View attachment 79314

Some boomer just died of cognitive dissonance after seeing that a graduate student wrote in cursive.....

Back