Airline to air Force reserve/ guard

Never understood this 'hiring' and I guess dismissing unit by unit of NG/RES personnel. Active component members are centrally manged, not unit dependent for career placement and hopefully advancement. Any thoughts or explanation for what appears a lousy way of managing NG/RES personel. As for 'Pilot' this is the national NG web page. https://www.goang.com/careers/Generalist-Pilot/11GX

It's been too long for me to remember how that works. Even when I did, it was still a little fuzzy. As for the person I was talking about, I don't remember what his Guard status was. ART or traditional. The best I can remember is that a position has to be open in order to fill it. I had ANG friends that got promoted, but had to wait several years before they could pin on the rank since they were waiting for a vacancy. I was Active Duty and the process seemed much simpler for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANG friends that got promoted, but had to wait several years before they could pin on the rank since they were waiting for a vacancy. I was Active Duty and the process seemed much simpler for us.
My same experience, the active duty NG spent a lot of time plotting their future active service, looking for their magic 20 or equivalent. ... Who they knew, where etc .. all trying to match a slot to a promotion, to select active duty military schools/colleges for future slots and further promotions. For sure, we active duty types also had to manage our own careers to continue promotion on active service. As we all knew, it was up or eventual out.

The Guard is a state thing, with many states organized into their state defense forces parallel to their National Guard (both Air and Army), having them report to the governor through the state's adjutant general. State defense forces are not funded by the federal government, and in most states members are unpaid.

Anyone here have a minute to PM me? I have some questions regarding ANG and the process, or if it's just better to get in contact with a recruiter right away.

Thanks

There's always a possibility, but just because he's an airline pilot does not make him a shoe-in. Air Force flying is different than civil flying. I was a former T-1 instructor at UPT and I'll give you a case in point. There was a regional pilot hired by an F-16 unit. His T-37 instructors recommend he NOT go to T-38 training, which made him ineligible for his fighter unit. In other words, he lost his job and had to look for another unit to hire him while he was in T-1 training. He got lucky and found a new sponsor. He still had trouble adapting to military training in the beginning, but eventually he did and graduated.

Made me realize that lots of hours don't necessarily make a great pilot. I wish your friend luck. However he has to realize he will work for it. Every CFI wants to help you fly and will let you take as long as it takes (you just need money and time). The Air Force has a specific set of standards and a finite amount of time to make you a pilot. The military is not necessarily trying to wash out people. But resources are limited and they don't like to waste their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious what would have happened had me not been able to find another sponsor. Would he have been dropped from UPT? Would he still have a military commitment?

Just curious what would have happened had me not been able to find another sponsor. Would he have been dropped from UPT? Would he still have a military commitment?

I'm not sure, but I've never heard of someone not finding another unit. Getting a "free" Lt saves a ton of money.

you would have gone into a pool for units to pick from. We have picked up a few guys that way.

Back