Airline to air Force reserve/ guard

crticalaoa

Hey everyone I'm asking for a buddy of mine. He is coming up on 27, in the regionals with about 1700 hours. Graduated from college but his GPA was low. 2.6. He did serve in the army guard for about 5 years. Do you guys think he has a chance? Any recommendations?

Getting hired requires a certain amount of motivation, having a buddy ask questions for them about getting hired indicates that lack of motivation. I will assume I am reading in to that too much..... We have wasted two slots on individuals who Self-Initiated Elimination out of UPT and CSO training. Motivation is a big part of the interview screening, especially for those with prior time.
To answer your buddies question, it is not too late but he needs to apply now, time is not on his side. Some units wont interview him at that age. Also units looks at various things for interviews, some weigh AFOQT, PCSM scores highest. Others look at flight time or prior service. Your buddy needs to apply, like I said before, he won't get hired if he doesnt apply. Good news for him is it is becomming a pilots market for guard/reserve hiring.

Getting hired requires a certain amount of motivation, having a buddy ask questions for them about getting hired indicates that lack of motivation. I will assume I am reading in to that too much..... We have wasted two slots on individuals who Self-Initiated Elimination out of UPT and CSO training. Motivation is a big part of the interview screening, especially for those with prior time.
To answer your buddies question, it is not too late but he needs to apply now, time is not on his side. Some units wont interview him at that age. Also units looks at various things for interviews, some weigh AFOQT, PCSM scores highest. Others look at flight time or prior service. Your buddy needs to apply, like I said before, he won't get hired if he doesnt apply. Good news for him is it is becomming a pilots market for guard/reserve hiring.

He's asking/helping for a friend. Not a big deal, thanks for the info tho..................... :)

Hey everyone I'm asking for a buddy of mine. He is coming up on 27, in the regionals with about 1700 hours. Graduated from college but his GPA was low. 2.6. He did serve in the army guard for about 5 years. Do you guys think he has a chance? Any recommendations?

Like the other guy he said he definitely has good odds but a lot of units won't even interview guys 28 or older. It can take 2 years sometimes to get to UPT and you have to start before your 30th birthday.

I get it, it's not a big deal at all for them to ask, was literally curious and also I might have thought I was on a less friendly site for military aviators there for a moment... I am glad to answer specific questions.

I really appreciate your response from above. Definitely will pass it on. I should have also noted above I am as well looking into the possibility and I am in his shoes as well.

I'd say go for it man. It can't hurt to apply. The ANG and AFRC along with AD are all hurting for pilots. Airline hiring is sucking pilots out of the air force left and right. I can only speak for the C-130 community but off the street hiring is much higher than ever before. It's a great job and definitely helps on the resume if you're looking to go to the majors. UPT is painful but also great training at the same time. It's definitely a long, hard road that requires a lot of perseverance but with a good attitude and strong work ethic you can make it. I wouldn't let other people talk you out of it even if age or medical is a factor. Times are changing and units will hire good dudes. That's what age and medical waivers are for.

Last edited:
I just came across this and my curiosity was piqued. I'm turning 29 in a month, any chance at a waiver? In the little bit of google searching I did it sounded like they only do waivers if you have been selected and you can only be selected if your under 28. Am I miss understanding?

I just came across this and my curiosity was piqued. I'm turning 29 in a month, any chance at a waiver? In the little bit of google searching I did it sounded like they only do waivers if you have been selected and you can only be selected if your under 28. Am I miss understanding?

Age waivers are pretty common especially in this day and age. If you find a unit hurting bad enough for people they will do whatever it takes to get a good dude. I know a lot of C-130 units are hurting right now for people. I'd start reaching out to units directly to see where they stand on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ANG and AFRC along with AD are all hurting for pilots. Airline hiring is sucking pilots out of the air force left and right. I
full story at https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1135200/congress-probes-military-pilot-shortage/
WASHINGTON, March 30, 2017 — A shortage of pilots across the U.S. military is most acute in the Air Force, senior military officials told Congress yesterday.

F-5N Tiger II fighter jets with Marine Fighter Training Squadron 401 train with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 314 and the Air Force’s 310th Fighter Squadron at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif., March 16, 2017. This training allowed both services to experience different flight tactics and train with different aircraft. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Jake McClung
Marine Corps Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs Lt. Gen. Mark A. Brilakis, Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. Robert P. Burke, Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel Services Lt. Gen. Gina M. Grosso and Director of Army Aviation Maj. Gen. Erik C. Peterson testified about future and pending aviation shortfalls before the House Armed Services Committee’s military personnel subcommittee.

Air Force Faces ‘National Aircrew Crisis’

Grosso said sustained global commitments and recent funding cuts affect the Air Force’s capability to wage a full-spectrum fight against a near-peer adversary. She noted that due to an upcoming surge in mandatory retirements for commercial airline pilots and an increasing market for global commerce, the civilian aviation industry has begun hiring at unprecedented rates.

“This confluence of circumstances has birthed a national aircrew crisis. This crisis is the result of multiple factors: high operational tempo over the last 26 years, a demand for our pilots from the commercial industry, and cultural issues that affect the quality of life and service for our airmen,” she said.

At the end of fiscal year 2016, Grosso said, the Air Force active and reserve components were short a total of 1,555 pilots, including 1,211 fighter pilots. The cost to train a fifth-generation fighter pilot, she noted, is around $11 million.

“A 1,200 fighter pilot shortage amounts to a $12 billion capital loss for the United States Air Force,” she said.

Age waivers are pretty common especially in this day and age. If you find a unit hurting bad enough for people they will do whatever it takes to get a good dude. I know a lot of C-130 units are hurting right now for people. I'd start reaching out to units directly to see where they stand on the issue.

How about early 40s....

Just how desperate are they. Hehe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We were told by the NGB that age will be reviewed on a case by case scenario but not to expect much. We have some enlisted in our SQ that we are looking to hire that we might not be able to due to age. While I am hearing more rumblings of age waivers there has been no signifigant change from what I have seen.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/artic...ut-13-year-455-000-bonuses-for-fighter-pilots
June 15, 2017
'Some fighter pilots could get retention bonuses worth up to $455,000 over 13 years under the Air Force's latest version of its bonus program.

The Aviation Bonus Program — which was announced on Monday and was formerly called aviator retention pay — represents a considerable expansion of the Air Force's central financial effort for holding on to pilots and some combat systems officers. Until now, certain pilots could only get up to $25,000 per year, and they could only sign on for active duty service commitments of five or nine years, making the maximum total payout $225,000.

But now, airmen can choose to sign on for one, two, five, nine, or up to 13 years of service and get annual payments of up to $35,000 per year. The Air Force Personnel Center will start notifying eligible officers on Tuesday.

"Pilot retention right now is at crisis levels when it comes to fighters, and we're changing around the way we're doing incentive pay," Heather Wilson, the new secretary of the Air Force, said at a breakfast in Washington on Monday. "But it's not just the money, and pilots tell us this. It's additional duties stuff, it's the deployment rates, and then when they're not deployed, they're still at a very high pace, doing all kinds of training, some of which doesn't really add value. So we're looking at all of those non-mission oriented things to try to improve the quality of life and quality of service for pilots." '

solely depends on the unit. I know ours isn't giving waivers....im sure a few years down the line that will change.

There is always a chance. I have seen two age waivers, one of which was prior enlisted. The how is probably a unit by unit decision, so pull the phone book out and be ready with a completed application.

There's always a possibility, but just because he's an airline pilot does not make him a shoe-in. Air Force flying is different than civil flying. I was a former T-1 instructor at UPT and I'll give you a case in point. There was a regional pilot hired by an F-16 unit. His T-37 instructors recommend he NOT go to T-38 training, which made him ineligible for his fighter unit. In other words, he lost his job and had to look for another unit to hire him while he was in T-1 training. He got lucky and found a new sponsor. He still had trouble adapting to military training in the beginning, but eventually he did and graduated.

Made me realize that lots of hours don't necessarily make a great pilot. I wish your friend luck. However he has to realize he will work for it. Every CFI wants to help you fly and will let you take as long as it takes (you just need money and time). The Air Force has a specific set of standards and a finite amount of time to make you a pilot. The military is not necessarily trying to wash out people. But resources are limited and they don't like to waste their time.

had to look for another unit to hire him
Never understood this 'hiring' and I guess dismissing unit by unit of NG/RES personnel. Active component members are centrally manged, not unit dependent for career placement and hopefully advancement. Any thoughts or explanation for what appears a lousy way of managing NG/RES personel. As for 'Pilot' this is the national NG web page. https://www.goang.com/careers/Generalist-Pilot/11GX

Back