Army Helicopter Conducts Candy Air Drop

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Rumor is the pilot (O-4) lost his wings and was forced to retire:

Army Helicopter Conducts Candy Air Drop

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - A mystery in the Arcadia neighborhood. Neighbors reported seeing a Blackhawk helicopter flying overhead Tuesday, and it appeared to drop something in the neighborhood. The Arizona Army National Guard is also considering this a mystery; they don't know about the flight. A lot of neighbors want to know why the helicopter was hovering low above the homes in the Arcadia neighborhood.

The flyover did give people a big scare, some say they thought it was going to crash in their back yard. A neighbor FOX 10 spoke to said he thought it was 50 feet above the trees, hovering for about 3 minutes. "At first I thought it was the lawnmowers from the guys that usually cut our grass, but then it wasn't... saw a military helicopter there, nose down... I didn't think it was weird, it was military, green and big, and it had it's red lights flashing," said Marco Innocenti.

Neighbors say there was a Halloween party going on when the helicopter came overhead, and kids were gathered outside during the flyover. They think the helicopter was dropping candy. In the video there appears to be something that is falling from the helicopter.

Listening to the noise officer in the office next to mine, I've discovered that whatever altitude a member of the public says an aircraft was, multiply it by a factor of 20 to get a close approximation of the actual altitude.

Probably took off from Papago which is basically next door to Arcadia where the drop was. I work in the same area and see them flying in and out of there frequently. Not sure that was worth a man's career, but.....

Last edited:
I know that dude is an internet joke, but there are routes that I fly over the countryside, essentially lights out. I have on IR position lights, but unless you have goggles, you’re not going to see us.

These routes are relatively low, and I can easily see farmer bob talking to his neighbor, and the neighbor saying, oh boy, here comes bob again with his black helicopter stories again...

As for the Arizona guys (if they are), kind of a really poopy decel.

Not the first trouble the AZNG has been in with their helos, seems to be an every few years thing....along with a host of other problems and scandals the state’s NG has had.

As a result or a product of swapping the -64’s out?
or NG as a whole?

The AZNG as a whole, with aviation being one of the prime areas of corruption. I’m being lazy and am in my phone, but I’m pretty sure the problems went up to TAG level in the state.

I know that dude is an internet joke, but there are routes that I fly over the countryside, essentially lights out. I have on IR position lights, but unless you have goggles, you’re not going to see us.

These routes are relatively low, and I can easily see farmer bob talking to his neighbor, and the neighbor saying, oh boy, here comes bob again with his black helicopter stories again...

As for the Arizona guys (if they are), kind of a really poopy decel.

Try landing helicopters with guys in full MOPP gear at a civilian airport.

“Nothing to see Sir, just routine training...”

I’m sure somebody somewhere is building a Jade Helm II conspiracy off stuff they see like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a result or a product of swapping the -64’s out?
or NG as a whole?

the AZNG in general, and even the AZANG. Constant problems with some of the units, mostly administrative issues, but some notable scandals too. Not the first time the Papago assault unit has gotten in trouble with their helos doing something dumb. The former Apache unit down south has also had their share of idiocy.

That’s just the Warrants. The RLOs are as clueless as you former enlisted types.
Um, aren't a lot of the Warrants prior enlisted? How does that work?

It's the senior enlisted who run the Navy. It might be different in the Army, but yeah, Zeros weren't heroes.

Um, aren't a lot of the Warrants prior enlisted? How does that work?

It's the senior enlisted who run the Navy. It might be different in the Army, but yeah, Zeros weren't heroes.

For sure. As are a number of commissioned officers. I just wanted to make sure in a discussion about Army helicopter pilots knowing everything, y’all know that pilot ain’t me. ;)

Back