"Airline Internship" at ATP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dough said:

"Just so you guys know, I've written for clarification about the new program because it totally caught me off guard."

Not sure we have really heard from the master webmaster on this. In fact, I'm pretty sure we haven't, as I just reviewed the thread.

I see the ATP banners all over this site, and I'm sure ATP somewhat pays for the bandwidth here (dough, I told you JC should never accept ads...hehe). APC has this weird system where google ads pick up on the topic being discussed and today I say a banner asking me to click on a link that said "Talk to airline pilots at ATP to discuss you're career as an airline pilot"

Argghhhh....gag me....

In any case, Doug, I'm curious about your personal opinion on accepting ad money from a place that supports Gulfstream style PFJ. If it makes you feel any better, APC is not without sin in this respect, but the site has been sold to an outfit that does the google thing. I guess I could try to make the argument to the boss that ATP should be locked out, and maybe I will, but I'd like to see the JC reaction first. Where are the ATP apologists of old?

I'm pretty disgusted that ATP has aligned itself with Gulfstream. I wasn't an ATP 90 day fan before, and this simply makes it worse. Hard to imagine it being worse....

Anyhow, Doug, you mentioned that you were going to contact ATP reference their agreements with Gulfstream academy. What did they have to say?

Why anyone would take out a huge loan for a job(121 regional FO) that pays $24K a year is amazing. Go the FBO route, who cares if it takes forever. It will take forever to pay off that +$100K loan too.

Its nice to see that someone(WJ88)who was considering going to ATP has not changed his mind after alot of good advice from others about not going the PFJ route. Another soul saved by good advice from JC'ers.

Falcon and ATP have now both affiliated with Gulfstream - because Gulfstream appears to have the only viable means to secure reasonable student financing.

2 years ago, i applied for the private + airline career program at ATP.

sallie mae wanted $960 per month for a 20 year $60K loan.

i obviously couldn't handle that. so, i worked on my credit score and saved up for living expenses.

this week, i applied again and was offered:

private + airline career program + gulfstream, all for $560 per month.

yes, it's an $80K loan, but the payments are almost half for the same term, i will be getting more time, turbo prop time, and still have the option for instructing at ATP.

$560 is still a lot, but i can afford it. and NO, not because i'm some "trust-fund-baby", it's because want to make this work because this is what i want to do.

judging from this board, i'm supposedly just rich, stupid, and inconsiderate for considering this offer.

seems to me, it's a pretty good deal. am i completely blind here?

(and no, i don't work for ATP. i'm just a guy makin' 8 bucks an hour, tryin' to leave my home town)

Well said man.. I couldn't agree more!

some may think this is immoral, but why wouldn't you want to do what you can to improve your experience?

ATP only hires CFIs from their graduate pool.
would would my training at ATP be paying my way into a CFI job?
taking jobs away from other CFIs?
ATP may have better connections to airlines than other schools.
would i be paying for the privilege of getting an interview?
paying for an advantage over others?

why does anyone pay for higher education?
isn't that a shortcut up the corporate ladder?
taking jobs away from seasoned veterans?
punishing company loyalty?

why do interns at media companies work for nothing?
aren't they paying at least minimum wage to have the privilege to have experience with that industry, taking jobs away from secretaries.

Seems to me that anyone who did not get their training and hours through the military is PAYING TO PLAY as well. There is no other way than PAYING to get your training and at least some of your hours.

SO as I see it, these people grumbling about it are just hypocrites (unless they got all their training/time in the military).

Don't let the "Debbie Downers" get to you here. Most people use these forums to complain, and only complain(I hate to say it, but innclude my self in that assesment). Read forums about almost any other industry, and you will hear the same "woah is me" stigma. It's still a good industry to be in, regardless of what you see here. I love my life now. Some one actually pays me to fly!:nana2:

LOL, it does seem there are a lot of BITTER people on this board. I have a couple of legacy pilot buddies and they both said they never look at this (or any other forum) because it's only the complainers that post. The people that are happy are out flying, not sitting in front of their computers all day bitching.

Seems to me that anyone who did not get their training and hours through the military is PAYING TO PLAY as well. There is no other way than PAYING to get your training and at least some of your hours.

SO as I see it, these people grumbling about it are just hypocrites (unless they got all their training/time in the military).

Just make a search for PFT/PFJ/Gulfstream on this site; you'll see the vast amounts of discussions already on the subject. PFJ is the bad one. PFT has its demerits too.....but not what you're thinking of having to pay for ratings.

I'm not telling you not to do it. I have no beef with ATP, and have had the pleasure of flying with some of their grads.

I would probably listen to the 99.9999% of pilots on this board telling you how bad this Gulfstream B.S could be to your career.

Why dont you save the 20K and just do the private+career program??

If you do the ATP/GA gig, you actually pay only $15k more for the GA program. At least when I signed up for it, it was so. Now they've added the CRJ training as well for another $5k.

You are paying to do something that should be a job. As in you should get paid to fly for a 121 airline. Where does it end, would you pay 20K for 250 hours of 757 time.

SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD.. This is reality in America though..

And $100/hour for 757 time, HELLS YEA I would... I'd sell my car and furniture to pay for that!

Whoever says the wouldn't is lying through their teeth...

Well get your excuse/justification refined, some day you may be unlucky enough to have a captain on a hiring board who wants you to explain why you helped torpedo his industry.

LOL, if he's on the hiring board, I highly doubt he would be thinking that his industry was "torpedoed."

I just realized that most people posting negative things here are either not airline pilots, or furloughed (and bitter). Look at the profiles of these people.... LOL.

well, maybe i'm going off old info, but that was just to prove a point that fell flat. :eek:

i'm sure everyone is frustrated right now (including me). i've given up a few years of my life to get my finances in order for this. i get good news and all i hear on here is how bad a deal it is.

trust me, i'm all about getting the truth. it just always seems to be disappointing.

DUDE, don't let these people discourage you.. FOLLOW YOUR HEART, do what you feel is best for YOU!!! You don't owe these clowns anything!

You know, the worst part about attempting to resurrect a dead thread is that you're kind of showing up to the amphitheater with your guitar, but the crowds are already gone.

Or at least face down, drunk in the parking lot...

Or in the drive thru at Whataburger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back