Age 60 rule, according to Len Morgan

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting article from the late and highly respected and humble Capt Len Morgan from one of his "Vectors" columns in an early 1990s Flying magazine. Always loved reading what Morgan had to write and have always had a deep respect for him, especially since this guy had a very large amount of wisdom and experience to look up to.

"When Captain Dave Cronin landed at Honolulu in February 1989, his overweight 747 had a 10 foot by 20 foot hole in its side, both right engines shut down, and flaps that would only extend 10 degrees. He put it on the ground at 195 knots, touching down "just like a normal landing", according to one passenger. The Wall Street Journal headlined, "United's Flight 811 Showed How Vital Capable Pilots Can Be." Cronin, age 59, had one trip left to fly before retirement.

Five months later, UALs Capt Al Haynes somehow kept his DC-10 flying for 41 minutes with its controls set in concrete, having lost all hydraulic boosters. The chances of survival for anyone onboard was virtually nil, yet Haynes and his crew (he and Cronin would reject the inference that either pulled it off alone) managed and arival at Sioux City that say nearly two thirds of the the sould aboard survive. "What if a less skilled pilot had been at the controls?" asked TIME magazine. Haynes would retire in two years.

Why are pilots of such outstanding caliber grounded at age 60? It's the law. Specifically, it's Federal Aviation Regulation Part 121 that states, in part, "No person may serve as a pilot on an airplane engaged in operations under this part if that person has reached his 60th birthday." The background behind this is interesting.

President Eisenhower appointed his friend, ex-USAF General Elwood "Pete" Quesada to head the FAA in 1958. Airline pilots were not Pete's favorite people, in fact, he held them responsible for most safety problems and vowed to bring airline flying "up to military standards." Under Quesada, the FAA, which theretofore had shown no concern about pilot age, proposed two new restrictions, one prohibiting any pilot over 55 from qualifying on turbojet aircraft; the other grounding all pilots at age 60.

After a public hearing, the age 55 proposal was dropped. Despite a deluge of objections by industry and medical experts, the "age 60 rule" was implemented in 1960 - without a public hearing. Senior pilots with impeccable records found themselves on the street. (A suggestion that social security payments should commence immediately because employment had been terminated by federal edict fell on deaf ears in Congress). All remaining pilots faced the loss of their five most lucrative years.

Air Line Pilots Association president Charley Ruby protested, but received little membership support. The majority of younger members favored the rule; now they would move up to seniority faster. It was an unthinking, self-serving stance unworthy of them, but the egoistic "get mine while I can" syndrome was irresistable.

JJ O'Donnell, Ruby's successor at ALPA, halfheartedly continued the fight, but eventually ALPA bowed to the consensus and thereafter sided with the FAA. No one knew better but ALPAs leadership that the Age 60 rule was wrong, yet assurging the membership took precedence. Senior card holders who had built the union and who paid the highest dues, were summarily abandoned. It was not ALPAs finest hour.

A number of campaigns were mounted to overturn the rules, mainly financed by older pilots and retirees. All failed. At one point, Congress ordered the National Institute on Aging to conduct an in-depth study of the matter. After three years of deliberations and the expenditure of $250 milltion of taxpayer money, that August body found "no medical significance to age 60 as a mandatory age for retirement." However, it recommended that the rule be retained because "age related changes in medical conditions and performances" would have decremental effects on some individuals.

The report ignored certain facts and made a mockery of scientific research. At least the panel urged the FAA to allow selected volunteers to continue flying past age 60 under close surveillance in order to acquire the age/performance data it claimed were unavailable. This reasonable proposal was ignored. Six years later, several retirees instigated a courte ordered review of the rule. The FAAs response to this latest attempt: expemtion denied.

The FAA maintains that older pilots are more likely to be involved in accidents. It acknowledges that there would be individual exceptions, but points out that the "population as a whole" is subject to an increased rate of disability with increasing age. This is hardly news. Neither is it news that we don't all fit the norm; as we age at different rates. I knew pilots grounded in their 30s and 40s. A Mayo Clinic study in 1968 predicted that about 20 percent of all airline pilots would be medically disqualified before they reached retirement age.

Yet, as a senior copilot, I flew with Captains nearing 60 who were as sharp as men 20 years their junior. More than once we shared predicaments requiring heads-up piloting and they performed faultlessly in every instance. To judge such individuals by a general pattern of physical and mental deterioriation is unrealistic and grossly unfair.

According to the FAA, there is no way to discriminate between those over-60 pilots who could still safely fly, and those who could not. The excuse that such dat is unavailable, is weak. The age-60 rule did not ground every pilot. After 1960, a number of retirees continued flying airline equipment in charter work or with overseas carriers. How have they fared? And, had NIAs suggestion been followed, by now the FAA would have years of firsthand data to support, or refute, its conclusions. Apparently there is reluctance to refute new data that might upset preconceived notions.

Petitioners for modification of the age-60 rule argued that experience more than offsets the risks of sudden incapacitation brought on by aging. ALPA countered that after 5000 hours of flying, "additional flight time does not significantly improve pilot performance from a safety standpoint." The FAA agreed. It also accepted ALPAs claim that "experience does not prepare a pilot for technological change," an utterly absurd contention. I have friends who began flying in 90 mph Fords, and ended their careers in 600 mph Boeings.

The incredible flying of Cronin and Haynes, and the expert handling of many other emergency situations by older pilots do not unduly impress the FAA. "What the pilot of UAL Flight 811 did would be expected of any Captain," it said of Cronin, adding that it "cannot base its decision on isolated commendable acts."

The FAAs refusal to grant an exemption to the age-60 rule or allow a closely monitored trial, is inconsistent with its willingness to recertify under-60 pilots with known serious problems. Pilots with histories of alcoholism, myocardial infarction, bypass surgery, monocular vision, personality disorders, strokes, and dysrhythmias, have been returned to flight status. During a nine-year period, more than 400 pilots rehabilitated from alcoholism were returned to airline flying even though the relapse rate was known to be 20 percent.

Statistically, the pilot who has had a heart attack or stroke, bypass surgery, a drinking problem, or lost an eye, has a 35 percent chance of regaining his first-class medical certificate That means flying, providing of course that he is under age-60. "The Feds say I became a poor risk at age 60. How could they be sure I was safe at age 59?" said a friend who flew for 35 years without taking a day of sick leave. He's still hale and hearty 14 years later, by the way. Did the physical examinations and proficiency checks that kept tabs on fitness and performance throughout his career become less revealing on his 60th birthday?

The age-60 rule will ground 5000 pilots over the next five years. That it remains on the books nearly three decades later shames all younger pilots who support it and the bureaucrats who stubbornly refuse to admit a mistake. It should be abolished. In the meantime, the flying public would be better served if the FAA worried less about the pilots it certifies, and more about the airliners it approves. The recent rash of safety problems was caused by older airplanes bearing the FAAs stamp of approval, not by older pilots."

i realized that, you made it seem that the Age 60 rule was still in place, my mistake, must be reading too fast :rolleyes:

...and if you look at the Cal Fire pilots and other contractor firefighting pilots (with no age limit) there are several flying into late 60's and into the 70's. Much more demanding flying than 121; physically, mentally and skill level.

But let the young selfish ones have their way....the only drag is it will be unlikely the old guys will be around to watch them complain when they have to retire.

i realized that, you made it seem that the Age 60 rule was still in place, my mistake, must be reading too fast :rolleyes:

Oh no biggie. Yes, while the article itself is dated, Morgan does a good job of going over the history of where the original rule itself came from. Interesting in that one proposal (age 55) was cancelled after having a public hearing, while the age 60 rule itself was implemented, without a public hearing. So was it even legally implemented?

There is no requirement for public hearings on regulations. It was legally implemented. And it should have stayed implemented.

Morgan brings up some interesting points about why it was a BS law in terms of any sort of effectiveness, much like an AWB would be.

I posted the data in the last thread that showed exactly what the value was. Accident/incident numbers start to increase at age 55, and they skyrocket at 60.

But there's no reason to have this debate again. No one is going to change their minds.

Hey, one thing I agree with MikeD on. It's a start :) ....and I would have been adversely affected by the change had I stayed in the USA. I was still for it, since it's the right thing to do over the long term.

Still nothing I agree with ATN Pilot on. So, now that you've had a chance to undergo a seniority integration how do you feel about date-of-hire with conditions and restrictions as the one and only standard? As I recall you were very much against it in the USAir/America West SLI. How's that working out for you personally? My arguments on that subject were not just selfish. I advocated that point with TWA/AA well before. Sometimes it is wise to listen to those of us who have been around for awhile lest ye learn the hard way.

People need to stop thinking short term gain and think long term. What is better for the profession long term?

TP

I posted the data in the last thread that showed exactly what the value was. Accident/incident numbers start to increase at age 55, and they skyrocket at 60.

But there's no reason to have this debate again. No one is going to change their minds.

But that should be an individual assessment, not a group assessment, as Morgan mentions. Im sure we both know sharp pilots who are in their 70s, as well as pilots in their 30s who aren't healthy enough to be driving a car. There are probably a number of guys who dont qualify to fly past 60 now, just as there are many who do.

A lot of guys talk of the lack of fairness when the rule was changed to 65, but was it fair to have been implemented in the first place? And why did ALPA support it, before they were against it?

Morgan brings up an interesting history and perspective, especially seeing how he was flying international widebody before before many of us here were even born.

Still nothing I agree with ATN Pilot on. So, now that you've had a chance to undergo a seniority integration how do you feel about date-of-hire with conditions and restrictions as the one and only standard? As I recall you were very much against it in the USAir/America West SLI. How's that working out for you personally?

Still very much against it. Every merger is different, and a one-size-fits-all solution will not work. A DOH integration still would have royally screwed me over, just not quite to as great an extent as the staple-job that SWA crammed down our throats. Only a relative seniority integration would have been fair. Just like the AWA pilots were awarded, fairly and equitably.

But that should be an individual assessment, not a group assessment, as Morgan mentions.

There is no effective means of testing cognitive abilities in an efficient manner that you could do regularly for all pilots. The only efficient solution is an artificial cutoff line at a certain age based on the statistics, which is exactly what Age 60 was.

There is no effective means of testing cognitive abilities in an efficient manner that you could do regularly for all pilots. The only efficient solution is an artificial cutoff line at a certain age based on the statistics, which is exactly what Age 60 was.

As an aside, it's all just an interesting discussion overall because this was what my paper for 121 Airline Operations class was on 21 yrs ago.

That was the same year that the student from UND wrote the paper on night VFR requiring an instrument rating, a paper that IIRC went forward to an NPRM, but no further.

yeah, we should just abolish sim checks every six months....there is no way to really evaluate the performance of pilots in the flight deck...and while we're at it, get rid of medicals too. Just base it on ageism.

About half of the Cal Fire pilots would be grounded if it were left to the younger pilots who want their spots, they are single pilot too!. Heck, I want to move into one of those spots, but they earned it, they can hold it, it's their spot, and I can wait or do something else (which is exactly what I have to do). It should be the same with 121.

This whole force older people out thing is pure and simple selfishness. If every six months in front of the doc and the training department isn't good enough, then it's not about age. It's about economics, it's just an arbitrary trigger. I think every one who has a BMI of greater than 30 should be grounded. (Not really, but it's an arbitrary number that can represent health issues health, just like age.)
The only people I see who disagree are known to be selfish, what's in it for me people.

Still very much against it. Every merger is different, and a one-size-fits-all solution will not work. A DOH integration still would have royally screwed me over, just not quite to as great an extent as the staple-job that SWA crammed down our throats. Only a relative seniority integration would have been fair. Just like the AWA pilots were awarded, fairly and equitably.

I agree, there is no one size fits all, but the fairest starting point is, and always will be, date-of-hire. It's the conditions and restrictions part that irons out the fairness for both sides over the long term. That way one side does not get a huge windfall, nor does one side get royally screwed over.

TP

I agree, there is no one size fits all, but the fairest starting point is, and always will be, date-of-hire. It's the conditions and restrictions part that irons out the fairness for both sides over the long term. That way one side does not get a huge windfall, nor does one side get royally screwed over.

Conditions and restrictions don't fix anything. The only thing that truly matters is real seniority. In our first "deal" we were given all sorts of C&Rs that were supposed to protect us. But what they failed to mention was that they were going to get rid fo the 717s and shrink the Atlanta base to virtually nothing, which would have made the C&Rs completely ineffectual. In the end, the only thing that matters is seniority.

But if you absolutely had to have a single standard to "start from," then I would say that DOH isn't it. Relative seniority within an equipment gauge would be the preferred method.

Here, borrow mine.
fav-red_swingline_stapler-big.jpg

Some guys I know do ok as they approach 65. Some guys should have been taken out behind the woodshed at 30.

Back