After cargo???

I'd take a 135 freight dawg most any day over and RJ FO with that has his/her only experience.
You may, but will your company? That is the million dollar question. I would imagine an RJ pilot would have a harder time in the 727 than a single pilot metro pilot.

That said, there's no decent corporate gigs out there that don't require jet time,

I wouldn't go that far. Just like the airline world corporate gigs are all about who you know. I almost had a corporate LR-35 FO seat when I was at 1000TT and 20 multi. Would have payed much more than you make now flying the BE-1900. Problem is that we got underbid hardcore. The guy we were getting the jet for owns a retail chain similar to Big Lots. Cheap is exactly how those types of people live their lives unfortunately.

I also could have had a contract gig in a King Air 90 that could have lead to a Hawker job. The people that owned the hawker just bought an F90 and needed a contract pilot in reserve just in case. If I did a good job I could have ended up as a contract FO on the Hawker getting that wonderful jet time. Know how I got the offer for the contract gig? I was talking to people in the FBO.

"So, what aircraft do you fly?"
"I fly that BE-99 over there."
"Really, would you be interested in a contract job on a King Air 90?"

Networking.

I know of tons of people from AMF that have gotten jet gigs right after AMF. Some of them geared up aircraft or dinged props. Figure that one out.

Exactly my point. The company looks at the quality of time and equipment flown when making hiring decision. Personal recs also carry weight..

You may, but will your company? That is the million dollar question. I would imagine an RJ pilot would have a harder time in the 727 than a single pilot metro pilot.

I wouldn't go that far. Just like the airline world corporate gigs are all about who you know. I almost had a corporate LR-35 FO seat when I was at 1000TT and 20 multi. Would have payed much more than you make now flying the BE-1900. Problem is that we got underbid hardcore. The guy we were getting the jet for owns a retail chain similar to Big Lots. Cheap is exactly how those types of people live their lives unfortunately.

I also could have had a contract gig in a King Air 90 that could have lead to a Hawker job. The people that owned the hawker just bought an F90 and needed a contract pilot in reserve just in case. If I did a good job I could have ended up as a contract FO on the Hawker getting that wonderful jet time. Know how I got the offer for the contract gig? I was talking to people in the FBO.

"So, what aircraft do you fly?"
"I fly that BE-99 over there."
"Really, would you be interested in a contract job on a King Air 90?"

Networking.

I know of tons of people from AMF that have gotten jet gigs right after AMF. Some of them geared up aircraft or dinged props. Figure that one out.

That wouldn't actually be that much ;) But no, I see your point. I'd like to fly something with a decent sched and a decent paycheck, but when you arrive at airports in the absolute middle of the night...well, it's a wee bit difficult to network. ;)

That wouldn't actually be that much ;) But no, I see your point. I'd like to fly something with a decent sched and a decent paycheck, but when you arrive at airports in the absolute middle of the night...well, it's a wee bit difficult to network. ;)

you can network with others who arrive in the absolute middle of the night. :)

you can network with others who arrive in the absolute middle of the night. :)

They all work at cargo outfits like mine.

That's alright, I actually really like what I do, I have a blast doing it, my only complaint about it is the pay, because I get a fair amount of time off on this schedule.

That wouldn't actually be that much ;)
I was offered 40K /yr :) Then again I am only going by the base structure your employer has. No idea what they have as far as bonus money.

But no, I see your point. I'd like to fly something with a decent sched and a decent paycheck, but when you arrive at airports in the absolute middle of the night...well, it's a wee bit difficult to network. ;)
Yeah my runs typically have me arrive when the corporate guys are getting ready to leave. Definitely helps a little bit. :D

That's alright, I actually really like what I do, I have a blast doing it, my only complaint about it is the pay, because I get a fair amount of time off on this schedule.

True. And even though I was being somewhat facetious, the reality is that even people at the same lateral-level as you, can often have good leads or information for things that you might be interested in. Doesn't always have to be someone "above" the level you are currently at.

I did a route that was an excellent QOL run. Essentially 4 days a week and only 2 hours of flying a day. If I didn't need the flight time I would have been loving that run.

I did a route that was an excellent QOL run. Essentially 4 days a week and only 2 hours of flying a day. If I didn't need the flight time I would have been loving that run.

Back in the Rough Rider days I was working four days a week roughly six hours from walking out my door to walking back in. It essentially a part time job and I was on salary. Awwwwwwww yeah. Of course I KNEW that was too good to last...

Sure there is, as others have already posted. I was kind of like MikeD, but different order and different direction. Started military in helos, then went cargo, then the regionals. My regional interview went something like this. "See you've been hauling checks." "Yes sir." "In a Seneca- no autopilot?" "Of course not sir." "Well, you haven't killed yourself or scared yourself out of flying, so you must know how to fly instruments. When can you start?"
I have known a few pilots hired directly to major cargo carriers (FedEx), but they were flying Convairs.
Also, I've written it before but always be prepared to be interviewed when you are flying. No, you don't have to wear a tie and jacket. But take a shower once a day and look presentable. You never know who is looking for a pilot. Sorry, but first impressions DO matter. Also, carry a resume that is relatively up to date, especially if you have hit milestones (such as ATP minimums).

I started flying 210s for a float plane company. After my run went away they offered to train me on floats. Best thing i ever did.

Dont mean to highjack thread, but flying floats are the BEST. Did grunt work down in Jacksboro, Tx at float school to get free float time several years ago. It was great, flying around in a 1946 Aeronica SuperChief with no windows and wearing boat shoes and swimtrunks. End of the day, we would fly over to Lake Bridgeport, taxi up to dock (got great looks), jump out and by the steaks and beer for that night. Had a couple of jet skis there also. It was a fun time.

Gotta find me a job flying freight on floats. In the tropics. Surrounded by super models.

Dont mean to highjack thread, but flying floats are the BEST. Did grunt work down in Jacksboro, Tx at float school to get free float time several years ago. It was great, flying around in a 1946 Aeronica SuperChief with no windows and wearing boat shoes and swimtrunks. End of the day, we would fly over to Lake Bridgeport, taxi up to dock (got great looks), jump out and by the steaks and beer for that night. Had a couple of jet skis there also. It was a fun time.

Back