ADX test prep - ASA book vs. Sheppard Air software

100LL

Ok, so I've started studying for the FAA ADX written. I picked up the 2017 ASA "green book" ATP test prep book which covers the ADX questions. The questions are clearly marked ALL, or DSP. In addition, as a software package, the Sheppard Air ADX prep is what I choose. It clearly states it is for the FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Prep database only.

I soon realized there were questions in the Sheppard Air software that didn't appear in the ASA book, such as labeling requirements for acetone, how much acetyl bromide you can carry, net quantity of acetylene that can be carried on a passenger aircraft etc. I noticed other questions that were the same, but some that appeared in one but not the other. The Sheppard Air software has the most current update.

Should I just go with the Sheppard Air software package and ignore any differences? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks all!

I used the Sheppard Air software and passed the ADX with no problem. I had used the ASA prep ware on my phone before using Sheppard but never looked at it again after I got Sheppard.

Isn't the ATP and the Dispatch the same question pool? ATP having a 125 question test and Dispatch having 80? If a current ATP wanted to become a dispatcher, does possession of a current ATP obviate the need to take the Dispatch knowledge test? Or is it like a "Ground Instructor' ticket where one can be a CFI with 5000hrs of dual given and a 100% student check-ride pass rate and still have to take the "Ground Instructor" knowledge test in order to get "Ground Instructor" stamped on one's card?

Sheppard states the ATP test is 125 questions taken from a bank of 1458. ADX is 80 questions taken from a bank of 1101.

The ASA prep book had significant numbers of questions marked ATS(ATP single engine) only. I found no questions marked ATM (ATP multi-engine) only. A fair number marked DSP only. Looks like the difference in the test bank 1458-1101=357 questions are mostly ATS questions.

If a current ATP wanted to become a dispatcher, does possession of a current ATP obviate the need to take the Dispatch knowledge test?

No you still need to take the test. But for a dispatch certificate there is a class room hour requirement so you still would have to sit in all the class room and pass a practical oral exam.

Sheppard Air. Use the memory aids,take a couple practice tests and go get it out of the way and move on. I prepped for about 3 days and scored an 85%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Gleim ATP book/online as well as the Sheppard. I used the Gleim at home during my study sessions and I used the Sheppard from my phone/ipad during down-time when "on the go." I found the two to be comparable, only differing in their format. I did pretty good with a 91 so I've got no complaints. No experience with the ASA book.

Which book is better, the Gleim or ASA? As for test apps, is there one available for a laptop also?

Which book is better, the Gleim or ASA? As for test apps, is there one available for a laptop also?
After looking at them both, I like the Gleim better. I got the one that comes with the full online access so I used it on my ipad and laptop all the time. The Sheppard app is also good for laptops/mobile devices.

Kids these days...when I went to dispatch school we didn't have no fancy schmancy internet or computer test prep programs, just a big red book. :)

Good luck to all on the FAA written!

I recently took my ADX exam in mid-October using Sheppard Air (on my laptop) and scored an 85% after studying for 3-4 weeks. I had other colleagues use the ASA then switch to Sheppard due the ineffectiveness of the ASA. The fact that Sheppard allows use to utilize/access the program while offline was tremendously beneficial since you can practically study 'anywhere'.

The software is definitely worth the $75; the memory aids are very effective and they also save you time on the exam (specifically weight/balance questions), but make sure the device you choose to have the software activated on is reliable and easily accessible (as you only get 1 device to use it on).

I recently took my ADX exam in mid-October using Sheppard Air (on my laptop) and scored an 85% after studying for 3-4 weeks. I had other colleagues use the ASA then switch to Sheppard due the ineffectiveness of the ASA. The fact that Sheppard allows use to utilize/access the program while offline was tremendously beneficial since you can practically study 'anywhere'.

The software is definitely worth the $75; the memory aids are very effective and they also save you time on the exam (specifically weight/balance questions), but make sure the device you choose to have the software activated on is reliable and easily accessible (as you only get 1 device to use it on).
Thank you! I already have a device in mind... ;)

I use both, and was fortunate enough to remember the two "test" questions from my exam that were not covered in Sheppard Airs software. They refunded my purchase promptly.

Back