Need some help...CFI Training and Written Study Prep

tcco94

Future GTA VI Pilot
Alright so I graduated college last weekend. Just got signed off to take my multi checkride so hopefully will complete that this week. After that I want to start getting an upper hand in studying for my CFI written preps and studying for CFI and CFII.

Right now I have a plan to head to American Flyers CFI program (debated between ATP but like American Flyers a lot more)....on August 11th. That way I can work through the summer and catch a breath from college but also start studying a bit before I go down there. It's a 30 day program but I want to come prepared at least, with an upper hand if I can. First...I want to do all my written exams here at my school. I was going to get sheppard air then @BarbieDreamPilot suggested the ASA Written Test prep...just wasn't sure which one is more effective? I believe it said they could produce my endorsement if I invest in the ASA written test prep? Which is something I'm interested in...but in short...what's the best study prep you guys did? I was thinking of getting the whole package...book from ASA and the online study materials. Just never used it...always had Sheppard air or Gleim (which I am not a fan of)...

For my next question....what should I read first? What is something that is absolutely needed to be read besides your typical FAA published books? I also took a CFI ground class at my college which we made tons of lesson plans and outlines. I already have a big binder which is all about CFI and not CFII....I have Jepp. Private books and lots of various other systems and aerodynamic books from college courses also.

Any other suggestions? I'm extremely nervous about the program and want to succeed and get to the regionals soon. I need about 750 hours to 1000 and CFI just seemed like a route I wanted to go to be a better pilot and for my future. Thanks!

If you're interested in getting the writ tens out of the way and interested in what books to read, stick with the fan pubs. The better you know them, the easier things will be. Those are your references for teaching.

As for the first to read, go with the fundamentals of instruction. Also going back through Jep's private pilot handbook will help with teaching the basics. For your writtens, go with what has worked for you in the past

Yeh I used ASA in the past, but online prep for others. CFI and CFII writtens are based on commercial and instrument writtens which you've already done, so I logged onto American flyers and did some practice writtens. They're free and I'd do one, read over the errors and do another one. You'll get back to 70+ pretty quickly.

Which location are you at? I can pass on some advice as I did it July-Aug 2014

Memorize, and I mean REALLY memorize the PTS and all the special emphasis areas. Kershner's Guide to Flight Instructing is also a great starting reference to look at.

Also. If you haven't taught before, start trying to put together basic lesson plans and teach them to your friends and family. You'll be surprised how much you miss when people start asking you questions about concepts.

Endorsement to take the FOI or FIA? None needed, study and take it.

I used Sheppard, but use whatever you're comfortable with. You can use a quick prep to pass the test, but you still need to know the material.

Since you have time, go knock your spin endorsement out of the way, it'll leave you an extra hour in the AF aircraft that are billed out at $250+ an hour.

ProTip with AF, if you don't use all your allowed flight hours, say you go somewhere else for a check ride, you can get a refund for the remaining balance. You just need to request it.

Last edited:
To put jskibos comments into context, in the CFI academy, everyone studies ground together and flies individually with people taking checkride said when they are ready. DPE availability means you may have a wait, and indeed some students took the CFII initial and took their sign off for the airplane addon to another DPE. Be sure to check that works in your home FSDO.

Thanks guys. I'll look into buying that book, especially if it will give me help on becoming a CFI and etc. The main reason I ask about the written is because I was always taught throughout all my training how useless the written exams were. I didn't learn a whole lot from them and that's why Sheppard programs were developed. I don't mind going back to my roots and doing my FOI, FIA, FII studying through Sheppard but the gentleman on the phone told me that I really needed to know that stuff from the written. (not that Sheppard doesn't provide reasons with answers but it's more geared around memorization). I don't wanna just cut corners for CFI. Seems like a deadly route. I do need to work on my skills as far as teaching and explaining it in orderly fashion. Just took my oral for multi and completely botched that. I'm sure everybody at my level does that, even though I'm done with all my flight training per say, I'm still not CFI ready with all my knowledge because I have never had to teach it (or use it outside of single pilot ops). I am sure AF programs will review and go over everything as far as fundamentals of instruction but if I take my writtens now and do the class in 3 months and don't remember a lot of that will I completely screw myself?

Which location are you at? I can pass on some advice as I did it July-Aug 2014

I haven't yet put my money down for a program but wanted to get that done before the end of next week so I can have their online study videos and etc. Also for planning purposes. Was told by Mike Simmons that the best locations they have are Ft. Lauderdale and Dallas. Was considering Florida a lot, but my mom's bf lives 6 miles from the Dallas airport. I could drive my car from my college town here in Montana down to Texas and round trip that would cost me about the price of an airline ticket in fuel. Also could save me upwards of $1500-2000 by not having to pay for a hotel or room? Is this a good plan? Only reason I ask is that I was told that the class is 30 days. Mike said expect 2 weeks to do both checkrides and it should be around 45 days. I figured if I have a place to crash instead it goes over by 10 or etc then that will save me a HELL of lot more money than in Florida where I'm spending lots of my savings money. Not sure how bad the experience you guys had with waiting for an examiner? Should I just come home to Montana? My college doesn't even have C172 RG...we do it in a Bonanza E33C and that will take LOTS of extra money to get signed off that in bad boy (she is a b***h)....so I'd rather just complete it all before I come back. My rent at my place here is only about $250 a month, everything included so I'm keeping everything here to hold it in place then when I'm done I'll apply and move to my new location.

Anything wrong with that plan?

Since you have time, go knock your spin endorsement out of the way, it'll leave you an extra hour in the AF aircraft that are billed out at $250+ an hour.
Thanks I didn't even think about that. I'll ask about getting that done before I head out.

Dont worry the writtens are still fairly irrelevant to the checkride. But you should have all that knowledge anyway.

Ground study based on the PTS which is the lead for your lesson plans is crucial. Clear brain space for that.

I went to FL, don't know Dallas but it makes sense that it is pretty busy also. Living costs not too hectic for 30 days, but any savings make sense. Be prepared and you'll hit close to the minimum flying hours. You can also leapfrog other students who aren't ready for a ride.

I disagree that the writtens are irrelevant to the check ride. Next to the instrument, the knowledge has been the most used over my career.

Sheppard air is my norm. I will be able to pass with that I know of it. But not very many people argue that writtens are useful until now with CFI....

But they're the same questions? My point is Sheppard air makes me feel like I'm cutting a corner of learning...and I want to learn everything I can. Not sure if their explanations are enough to "know the knowledge". I'm sure in class we will probably review it anyways they said regardless of those who have passed them already.

Agreed - confusing eh?

If Sheppardair works for you then go for it. When I took the ATP someone gave me the sheppardair crib sheet and I tried to make sense of it, but couldn't - I can work out answers without needing a mnemonic, just with some knowledge to help me discern the correct ones.

Alright my class is August 13th. I think I finished my book collection now...

I got the ASA flight instructor manual (by Kershners), Airplane flying handbook, oral exam guide for CFI, Jepps flight instructor manual and aviation instruction handbook...many of these I had digital copies but wanted hard copies. Saved lots on amazon.

I have the PHAK and Instrument flying and procedures books as well as other weather and system books from college....

Just wondering if you guys think I'm missing any books? I'm gonna print the PTS.

Have a ton of lesson plans from a few of us that went through earlier. They are in a shared Dropbox.

PM me if you have a DB account and I'll give you access.

I'd love to see your guys lesson plans. I took a CFI ground course at my college and made lesson plans for everything in the PTS (a year ago) and have about 8 outlines (30-50 pages) on bigger topics I was planning on taking with me to reference. I know they said at AF you make lesson plans so I was assuming I'd have an upper hand on that already?

I'll get drop box this weekend and PM you guys. Thanks a ton for the info.

I didn't buy a PTS today in case it changes by August or September (probably won't)....but ya never know. Read a lot that it's huge to have the current PTS.

Have a ton of lesson plans from a few of us that went through earlier. They are in a shared Dropbox.

PM me if you have a DB account and I'll give you access.
Do you guys have any other way to transfer them without a Dropbox? I didn't realize it was $75 a month for an account.

think they brought in user fees for the laggards.

I don't use it, their cyber security is less than ideal.

Back