Need some help...CFI Training and Written Study Prep

I sent him a link, hopefully it works
Thank you for that! I'm about a month away. AF sent me their big book advanced learning guide so I've been reading that. Passed the FOI, taking the FIA Tuesday and then just FII left.

Got confirmed for my class in Addison for August. They had a checklist of what to bring....and they included Cessna 172RG manual...

Anyone know if they sell them at AF or if I have to buy it online? I'd like a hard copy over a pdf file but just not sure what year to buy...? I emailed them but seeing if anyone else that's been there recently knew.

Thank you for that! I'm about a month away. AF sent me their big book advanced learning guide so I've been reading that. Passed the FOI, taking the FIA Tuesday and then just FII left.

Got confirmed for my class in Addison for August. They had a checklist of what to bring....and they included Cessna 172RG manual...

Anyone know if they sell them at AF or if I have to buy it online? I'd like a hard copy over a pdf file but just not sure what year to buy...? I emailed them but seeing if anyone else that's been there recently knew.

No, they don't sell them there. They used to let students borrow them, but people started to take them. PDF is the best way, honestly. Unless you wanna fork out 60 bucks for the manual.

Are you heading to Pompano beach? I will be there August 13,
Bummer, I'll be at the Addison airport August 13.

No, they don't sell them there. They used to let students borrow them, but people started to take them. PDF is the best way, honestly. Unless you wanna fork out 60 bucks for the manual.
Alright thanks. I was against using the PDF but then realized I still have ForeFlight so I'm gonna use that for all my charts. May as well use it for the PDF.

For the FOI I used Gleim online software at the school. I brushed it off and didn't put much effort at all into it and scored poorly but passed.

However, the CFI-A was a different beast. I still used Gleim online software but had to study much more. I actually though this test was like a very miniature version of the ATP of sorts. It wasn't easy breazy pass easy.

The only written I used Sheppard Air was the ATP written and I sure needed it. I scored a 89%. It was a difficult test.

Get those damned tests out of the way and really focus on sound ground knowledge. Your students are going to ask some indepth questions to easy, or what seamed easy systems/maneuvers, etc.

The better you are at the ground knowledge/theory the easier it will be for you once you get your students. I think that is what set me apart from a few other instructors. Granted it wasn't by choice that I had so much time to study for the CFI but that's what happened. Turns out my ground knowledge is slightly above average and my students have shown appreciation for that.

If you ever have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Shoot me a message sometime and good luck.

For the FOI I used Gleim online software at the school. I brushed it off and didn't put much effort at all into it and scored poorly but passed.

However, the CFI-A was a different beast. I still used Gleim online software but had to study much more. I actually though this test was like a very miniature version of the ATP of sorts. It wasn't easy breazy pass easy.

The only written I used Sheppard Air was the ATP written and I sure needed it. I scored a 89%. It was a difficult test.

Get those damned tests out of the way and really focus on sound ground knowledge. Your students are going to ask some indepth questions to easy, or what seamed easy systems/maneuvers, etc.

The better you are at the ground knowledge/theory the easier it will be for you once you get your students. I think that is what set me apart from a few other instructors. Granted it wasn't by choice that I had so much time to study for the CFI but that's what happened. Turns out my ground knowledge is slightly above average and my students have shown appreciation for that.

If you ever have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Shoot me a message sometime and good luck.

I havent used Gleim since my private. ha. To each their own, but for writtens its Sheppard air for me. Study for a couple days straight and take it. Rote memory at its best. All of them in the upper 90s except for at the ATP which was 78 i believe(in the 70s for sure). I took almost the whole time take it. Really struggled with that one. It didnt help that i HAD to pass because i was able to schedule it on the last possible day you can take it. stupid i know.

well, now im studying for my cfi writtens again since they expired. argh. Couldn't agree more to get the writtens out of the way.

Where do you instruct?

I havent used Gleim since my private. ha. To each their own, but for writtens its Sheppard air for me. Study for a couple days straight and take it. Rote memory at its best. All of them in the upper 90s except for at the ATP which was 78 i believe(in the 70s for sure). I took almost the whole time take it. Really struggled with that one. It didnt help that i HAD to pass because i was able to schedule it on the last possible day you can take it. stupid i know.

well, now im studying for my cfi writtens again since they expired. argh. Couldn't agree more to get the writtens out of the way.

Where do you instruct?

Cae oxford in Phx

If you use your favorite search engine, Look for AFS-630 and that is the Support Division at the FAA for Airman Training and Testing. ALL of the Practical Test Standards and Training Manuals are there. The best part is they are all free.

If that is too much work, here is the link:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/

I would recommend downloading the CFI Practical Test Standards first and downloading the entire reference list on pages 3 and 4 of that document. Then you can start reading at your leisure. Every section in the PTS is a required test item and I can guarantee you will get several questions from each section. It is required by regulation that it be done that way. If you do not understand the regulatory requirement for utilizing the PTS, I recommend you find a CFI that does and train with them. It will ultimately save you alot of time.

Thanks for the suggestions. At the time of the post I was in-between but decided to go with Sheppard. Passed the FIA today with a 90. Just have the FII to go and in a month I'll be training for CFI. I am pretty excited to get my career started and thank you guys and the forum for all the help I've already gathered along the way in the past few months.

I feel like family here now!

Not sure I saw but have you completed the Fundamentals of Instruction yet? That is based on the Aviation Instructors Handbook. It is a 50 question test and the one you need to take is coded FOI. This is the data-bank that is about 350 questions or so. Fairly easy to pass the written but will definitely destroy you on orals if you do not know the material inside and out.

The Flight Instructor Instrument Airplane knowledge exam FII is based on the Instrument written. Take the Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) at the same time as they are the same test. When taking these tests, if you haven't been advised previously, I would take the AGI as soon as you take the Flight Instructor Airplane (FIA) exam. The AGI and IGI will grant you the ground instructor certificate which is required to become a Gold Seal instructor, if thats your thing. You need to submit the FOI with these and its basically a free certificcate for the cost of the knowledge tests.

Last edited:
Not sure I saw but have you completed the Fundamentals of Instruction yet? That is based on the Aviation Instructors Handbook. It is a 50 question test and the one you need to take is coded FOI. This is the data-bank that is about 350 questions or so. Fairly easy to pass the written but will definitely destroy you on orals if you do not know the material inside and out.

The Flight Instructor Instrument Airplane knowledge exam FII is based on the Instrument written. Take the Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) at the same time as they are the same test. When taking these tests, if you haven't been advised previously, I would take the AGI as soon as you take the Flight Instructor Airplane (FIA) exam. The AGI and IGI will grant you the ground instructor certificate which is required to become a Gold Seal instructor, if thats your thing. You need to submit the FOI with these and its basically a free certificcate for the cost of the knowledge tests.
Already have FOI and FIA completed. Was just wondering because the FIA had almost 700 question bank and the FII has 300. Seemed low...

Hi, i am planning to join the AF program in Dallas or PMP... I saw your post. And wondering whether you can give me some advise on this. I am with SEL and MEL commercial right now and planning to take the written test in Jan 22 and head to AF to join the 30 days program.
What do you think of their program? and How much does it really take to get both CFI and CFII ( one of my friend told me he paid like more than 8000 actually...)?
And what I should prepare for right now?

where are you travelling from?

The CFI academy is their premier program - the ground school is awesome. You will spend 90% of the time studying. For the flying, ask what the price includes. There is no minimum flight requirement for the CFI, so it depends on proficiency and how well you fly right seat.

I would get the writtens and lesson plans done.

Alex.

Hi, i am planning to join the AF program in Dallas or PMP... I saw your post. And wondering whether you can give me some advise on this. I am with SEL and MEL commercial right now and planning to take the written test in Jan 22 and head to AF to join the 30 days program.
What do you think of their program? and How much does it really take to get both CFI and CFII ( one of my friend told me he paid like more than 8000 actually...)?
And what I should prepare for right now?
AF was great to me. Made lots of great friends in ADS and in my class. Sometimes wish I would have stayed to instruct there for all the friends I have in ADS. Anyways, the program was great for me. I spent 7 days a week at the airport for about 10-12 hour days studying. Expect that and plan that for your success there. Total cost at the end the day with checkrides, extra flight time, charts, writtens etc. was $7400. Took me 45 days and I had both my CFI and CFI-I in hand and had an interview the next day.

I highly suggest it. Bring all your books and just plan to study your ass off. If you can do that, then you'll be in good shape. DEFINITELY get your writttens done BEFORE. ALL 3 of them. I had both my sign off's for my checkrides in 2 weeks and some kids in my class could have also, but didn't have a written done. Hopefully the weather is okay in ADS right now so that you don't get backed up for xrides. I was there in August and it was the summer but the examiners were still backed up from March and April when they had all the rain.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or ask on here. Use the previous posts as some suggestions from guys who helped me out. Start making lesson plans now, and studying everything from top to bottom. Just grab a PTS for CFI and start at the front to back. Go to the tasks and know EVERY task and EVERY line item....to CFI knowledge. Teach a room full of no one or your significant other or whatever. Good luck.

We also had 3 people transfer after 2 weeks from PMP. I cannot speak on that school but each one is structured a little differently. I heard at PMP they hold your hand and force a lot more where as at ADS, they give you a class time each day and you can show before and study and stay after or just show for class and leave the airport. Those who didn't stay and interact, didn't get as many flights scheduled as I did. Just by being at the airport, many opportunities opened themselves up and I could go fly and get my sign off faster. Some in my class only showed up for the 3-6 hour class and never stayed or showed up on an off day. They flew maybe once or twice in a 2 week span and took some of them 3 months to finish...and some just dropped out. Either way, just plan to come down here and commit your time. Don't have a side job. It's a full time job studying for this if you want to get it done. Also, I think they raised the price of the academy $500. My class was the last old rate, so tack on $500 to my cost...but they will give you the automatic CFI renewal for life (free) in the academy now, I believe. After it's all said and done, I thought it was a great deal.

Back