Advice on landing the Arrow

ILSstud

So I am training for my CFI, and part of my checkride is in the Cherokee Arrow. It's a fun little airplane, but I cannot seem to get the landings down. We spent 2 hours in the pattern today and out of around 9 landings or so 1 was decent. Apparently, my instructor thinks my landings are passable, but I think they are jarring and lack the finesse of other planes I have flown. Most of my training has been in a Cessna 172 and a Duchess (which in my opinion is a very forgiving twin)...any advice on landing the Arrow? It would be greatly appreciated :cool:

So I am training for my CFI, and part of my checkride is in the Cherokee Arrow. It's a fun little airplane, but I cannot seem to get the landings down. We spent 2 hours in the pattern today and out of around 9 landings or so 1 was decent. Apparently, my instructor thinks my landings are passable, but I think they are jarring and lack the finesse of other planes I have flown. Most of my training has been in a Cessna 172 and a Duchess (which in my opinion is a very forgiving twin)...any advice on landing the Arrow? It would be greatly appreciated :cool:

If it lands anything like the Cherokee 6's do, you have to pull power off a little bit earlier than a comparably sized Cessna. What specifically is giving you trouble?

The Arrow I think is a bit bigger than the Seminole but close. If I remember correctly, you actually have to drive the airplane into the ground so to speak. Where as on the 172 you kind of cut the power, glide and hope for the best!

I remember my fair share of Arrow landings, they SUCKED.

Carry power further than in a C172

I get it stabilized and looking beautiful until the last 200-300 feet. If I keep too much power in for the touchdown I end up floating and then hitting pretty hard. Cutting the power like on the Cessna and gliding REALLY doesn't work as I discovered after my first landing. I vaguely remember flying a Warrior in PDK a few years ago and having my instructor mention that leaving 50-75 RPM in at touchdown can help. I'm sure I'll get it soon, this was only my first flight in it, so I'll probably have a breakthrough on Monday. It's just annoying because I am used to having really nice landings...flying ego was getting a bruising today is all :p

I get it stabilized and looking beautiful until the last 200-300 feet. If I keep too much power in for the touchdown I end up floating and then hitting pretty hard. Cutting the power like on the Cessna and gliding REALLY doesn't work as I discovered after my first landing. I vaguely remember flying a Warrior in PDK a few years ago and having my instructor mention that leaving 50-75 RPM in at touchdown can help. I'm sure I'll get it soon, this was only my first flight in it, so I'll probably have a breakthrough on Monday. It's just annoying because I am used to having really nice landings...flying ego was getting a bruising today is all :p

Where in the PTS does it talk about making each landing a squeaker Mr. CFI candidate?

I'm not looking for greasers, just an acceptable touchdown that doesn't look like a mess....

I remember using a bit of power like mentioned before. I always tried to have the throttle hit idle as the wheels were touching down. Otherwise, I had a hard landing. Also, TRIM, TRIM, TRIM. The airspeeds are key too.

When I flew an arrow the first time I was the same. Came from the cessna and the profile is a little bit different. If you flare it will sink and go splat on the ground. As others have mentioned leave power in a bit longer and dont pull the yoke to your chest when in ground affect. Leave the plane maybe one to two degrees nose up and it should settle nicely. Another thing to think about is the gear structure. The landing gear is not as forgiving as a cessnas. Best of luck and please let us know how your checkride goes.

Thanks for the advice! Checkride won't be until December or so, as I just started, and I am taking a 2 week vacation next week. I'll keep you guys posted...

any advice on landing the Arrow? It would be greatly appreciated

Learning to land the Arrow well usually takes more time than allotted for CFI training. To me the secret is to greatly increase the rate of yoke pull back during the last 2-3 inches of yoke travel. By the point, you're unlikely to balloon because of the rapidity with which drag increases. If you fail to pull back fast enough, you lose too much stabilator authority with the decaying airspeed and will end up plunking down fairly solidly in a relatively flat attitude.

It takes a great deal of practice, but it is possible to get roll-on, nose high landings in the Arrow. And no, you don't need to leave any power in to make it happen.

I've been flying the Arrow alot lately doing commercial work and noticed on landing that you can't cut the power as early as you can on a 172 or you get slow and sink too fast. I've been flying it right to the runway with 12" manifold pressure and cutting power just before my round out. I do tend to float a little but the landings have been smooth ones.

The arrow sinks like a rock when you close the throttle. Gota come in with a little power and gradually close the throttle in the flare.

Learning to land the Arrow well usually takes more time than allotted for CFI training. To me the secret is to greatly increase the rate of yoke pull back during the last 2-3 inches of yoke travel. By the point, you're unlikely to balloon because of the rapidity with which drag increases. If you fail to pull back fast enough, you lose too much stabilator authority with the decaying airspeed and will end up plunking down fairly solidly in a relatively flat attitude.

It takes a great deal of practice, but it is possible to get roll-on, nose high landings in the Arrow. And no, you don't need to leave any power in to make it happen.

My instructor asked me if I wanted to do my whole checkride in the Arrow, in which case I would practice primarily on that plane. Part of me wanted to say yes since it would probably be a bit more of a challenge and I would definitely learn to fly the Arrow much better...@ the moment, though I just said I'd stick with the Cessna...

I only flew the Super-Arrow, but its similar. As stated in other posts, it does take a bit of finesse and tad more early planning than a comparable Cessna. It's just a slightly different feel. Getting roll-on's is entirely possible. Practice.

Will do. Tangent, the guy who owns the plane and leasebacks to my flight school has a CD player in his Arrow. In it, was "Celine Dion's Greatest Hits" :banghead:

My instructor asked me if I wanted to do my whole checkride in the Arrow, in which case I would practice primarily on that plane. Part of me wanted to say yes since it would probably be a bit more of a challenge and I would definitely learn to fly the Arrow much better...@ the moment, though I just said I'd stick with the Cessna...

The takeoff and landings must be done in the Arrow no matter what, so I don't see that you're helping yourself any by using the Cessna. I agree with your instructor that using the complex aircraft for the entire training and checkride is better for your proficiency.

I love the Arrow.

Well money was also a factor, the Arrow is 25 more an hour than the Cessna, tough economy...

Back