Advice on landing the Arrow

I doubt it. The landing maneuver is merely a large-radius, small load factor pull up maneuver that any airplane can do. One of the greatest obstacles to developing skill is to be convinced the skill is impossible to achieve. The instructor who spreads this sort of defeatist attitude isn't living up to his calling.

Personally, I would be greatly embarrassed to discover that I needed to carry power to have good landings in an airplane that other people could land power off. That would send me out to the traffic pattern for days until I could match that ability.

Well said!:clap:

A couple of additional thoughts after many hours of instructing in the II, III and IV (what a pig).

First do not trim on final above neutral or just barely above it. You have to fly the Arrow differently than a Cessna. Trimming nose up will decrease your stabilator authority at low speed and the nose will drop off on landing. Properly trimmed and flown, you should be able to hold the nose off and gently fly it on. While it doesn't sound like you have a "problem" landing, consider using an old gouge we'd give our students. Put the numbers or your desired touchdown point on a line between the 2nd and 3rd rivet on the center windscreen post. Keep it there until you transition to your roundout and flare.

Second...and this is an odd one. The yoke travel on the Arrow comes straight back...then up slightly at the end of it's up travel. The nylon bushings can accumulate crud that will cause the yoke to "stick" slightly. Check your control columns. If they are dry or have crud on them, wipe them down with a paper towel and some LPS or WD-40.

Third. Because of the way the Bendix fuel injection system works, you have a slight delay sometimes when coming off power at the bottom or bringing it back in. Make sure your friction lock is not set too snugly.

I had many happy hours flying the Arrow. It's a great plane to fly and train in and a nice IFR platform. Given the differences in flying the Cessna and the Arrow...primarily flying and elevator vs a stabilator...I'd agree that you're better off sticking with the Arrow and doing everything in one plane. One set of checklists, procedures and rules to follow. I know it's a bit more per hour, but you'll be a lot better off in the end.

Good luck!

Back