Admit Past Medical Form Mistake to FAA?

jbal0370

I was diagnosed and treated with medication for anxiety while in the military between 2004-2006. When my enlistment ended in 2006 I was taken off the medication.

I decided to pursue my PPL in January of 2007 and went through the medical process. At the time I was not taking any medication and in error did not inform the FAA of the past condition. I was granted a 1st class medical student certificate the following month and completed around 10 hours of student flying. Life took a few turns and I gave up on my aviation dream and the certificate expired.

Eight years later, I now aspire to finish my PPL in the near future. I want to do this the correct way and I understand I will need to go through the special issuance process for antidepressants as I take an SSRI to manage my anxiety condition. Before I start that hellish process I assume I need to come clean with the FAA about my prior certificate/medical.

My first though was to write the FAA, explain the misunderstanding, and hope for the best. Chances are I have already screwed myself in this process but there is only one way to find out for sure…

Any advice on how to handle this situation?

As always I appreciate all the help!

This is less of an issue in my opinion. I had regular medicals before getting a SODA even though the condition was present (and static) throughout. The SSRI corrects the anomaly. It was 10 years ago, but I don't remember the AME I went to having an issue with me having had unrestricted medicals previously - for whatever reason the prior AME granted them, and it is more for the FAA paperwork and records process to worry about than for yourself.

Best to have a discussion with an AME and let him help you through the process.

Tough call. On one hand, self disclosure should be respected and considered in any sanction. You also don't want to have to worry about the issue coming up after you have spent a bunch of time and money earning your certificate. On the other hand, you should be aware that the FAA will have considerable discretion in what if any sanction they propose. An AME may in fact be able to give you better insight into this matter.

Back