About to solo - kinda nervous

speaking of first solo jitters,
I always tell my students to take it around three times and come back in. One student was so nervous or focused, he took it around four times. I was sitting in the control tower and the controller said something like, "well, he knows your not the boss right now" :)

When my instructor jumped out and left me there to line up for takeoff for my first solo, my right foot started shaking so much I had a little trouble holding right rudder down the runway. With the instructor's 200 pound body out of the airplane, the airplane leapt into the air and caught me a little off guard (even though he warned me it would). Continued foot shaking on on crosswind.

By mid-downwind, I realized that I was actually flying an airplane by myself after a lifetime's worth of skyward plane watching, and a euphoric joy set in. My nervousness faded away completely, and all that training kicked in. Hold the perfect downwind heading, keep it at pattern altitude, watch for traffic...... A perfect approach, perfect landing, another perfect approach, another perfect landing, and finally a not-so-good approach and terrible landing, but nothing could ruin that day. I was a pilot. Literally, one of the best days of my life.

I was nervous. Everybody is. You may be too, but the nervousness will soon be replaced with undiluted joy. Please post how it goes.

Hey guys, so I am about to solo this week with atleast one, if not two more flights before I do. However, I don't feel that I am ready but when I think about it, I pretty much know what to do for it. I don't want to freak myself out but I don't want to go thinking I know what to do when I may not. If this just pre-solo nervousness?

Thanks guys,

Drew

trust me man... your first solo flight will be sooooo much fun man. I remember when I solo'd back in June. It was so much fun. I have to admit, as many others, taxiing to the threshold, looking back at your instructor walking into the FBO is definently a sight, and then you look over to the right seat, and it's empty. you taxi on the runway... full power.. man... your shakin like you've never shaken before... you take off, if its windy, you get thrown around... but once you turn that first downwind... your thinking.. "oh ya, I got this, I got this"... and you try and make the softest landing, but when you try, you float because your used to having that extra 200 lbs. in there.

Ha sorry, that was my story, in a nutshell. Not so much shaking on my part, because when I solo'd, I knew I was ready. And believe me, you are too. If your not, your instructor will never, ever, ever sign you off.

Good Luck, and enjoy it!!! You'll have the time of your life up there.....

Make sure you were an old shirt, or at least one your not to fond of... :D

Rock on dude:rawk:

Nothing like it! Still remember like I did it yesterday, floated the first landing, side loaded the second, got lucky and greased the 3rd. You will do great! Fly safe and have fun!! Take lots of pictures, they are hilarious after five or so years have gone by.

Have fun on your 1st solo!
Its a special moment that you will never forget!

After my first solo, there was a Baron that came in right after i did my laps around the airport, and the gear collapsed, so in the background picture of my getting my tshirt cutoff....it is possible to see airport firetrucks in the background. Hahaha, memories.

Your first couple of solos will teach you some things too-especially for vigilance when the instructor’s eyes aren’t there to back you up.

On my 1st solo cross country-I engaged the autopilot on a Cherokee (basic heading hold only autopilot) to double check my sectional chart, and as I review the chart, I notice the sun panning from one side to another on the chart, I looked back up and the autopilot was rolling the plane over on its side-it was a slow steady turn that wasn’t noticeable at first. Disengaged the A/P and corrected the situation, and too this day, I have my hand on the yoke to feel what the A/P is doing- you learn more with each flight!

Be safe and have fun!
The airplane will fly/climb quicker!

Back