Ability to drop trips without pay

I feel you, Bob. The pay cut I took going from brand F left seat to legacy right seat is more than most people make in a year. Hell, my income on first year pay is more than most people make in a year.

If you get out and walk on your overnights and go in to local places instead of Chili’s or the Irish pub near the hotel, you’ll see how it is for most folks. Act with a little bit of grace and humility. Yes, we all CFI’d (except for the whippersnappers) or flew freight for $12k/yr. We slept during the day, or at night on the couch of the flight school trying not to get caught by Barney Fife shining his flashlight in the windows (I quote “YOU AREN’T ALLOWED TO SLEEP HERE), we ate ramen and PB&J. Some of us commuted to this foolishness and slept in dirty, crowded crash pads. Literally almost this entire community at one time or another, probably.

Folks: don’t be a dick just because you got your bag now.
Damn, I hope I’m not being a dick, but if I am I sincerely apologize.

Damn, I hope I’m not being a dick, but if I am I sincerely apologize.
I think I'll add this.

During my working career I never made more than $28.75 an hour (plus good health insurance) during my "peak years." Now OT boosted that to about $43/hour but it was only the mandatory that got me; I preferred to be home rather than in the office despite the financial incentive.

Had a Master's Degree in a different field and other options for more money but I chose the things I chose for personal reasons, and I have not a single regret. My choice mattered to at least a few people who are alive today when they might not have been otherwise. Who knows🤷‍♂️

I hope you all know that I'm in no way disparaging the work you do, the salary you earn, the climb up the ladder to the place you may be now. I believe you earn every dime you get and have paid the dues for the place in which you find yourself today.

Recognizing that this is a bit of a closed group and focused more on the internal issues of commercial flying, whether corporate or airline, with regard to union issues and scheduling and layovers and regulation, I know I'm an "outsider" and mean no criticism but maybe bring a bit of insight into the lives of those who don't have the same dream or advantage.

I'm open to critique and change as you feel is needed.

You're not the dick Bob. He was speaking to dick pilots who became dicks after they starting making a lot of money. I would guess most of them were dicks when there were poor pilots, too.

That last part is the truth. Money doesn’t necessarily change who someone is rather than reveal who they were all along.

Just for the record, I’m OK with being a dick as required, but I’d like it known generally that it’s never personal and I don’t mind being wrong or chastised when it’s appropriate.

Anyway, the pups are sleeping and my nightcap is helping me get there. Sleep well, as you can, and pleasant dreams.

Just for the record, I’m OK with being a dick as required, but I’d like it known generally that it’s never personal and I don’t mind being wrong or chastised when it’s appropriate.

Anyway, the pups are sleeping and my nightcap is helping me get there. Sleep well, as you can, and pleasant dreams.
That’s not the case at all. My comment was directed to the people who have now gotten theirs in this career but let it get to their head. I can’t edit my post for clarity because reasons, so this will have to do. I appreciate what you add to this forum.

It started after I got hired but UPS used to make new hires ride along in a package car for a day during indoc. Help the driver deliver packages. I think they did that in an attempt to humble pilots and show them they are a small cog in a big wheel.
I wish I had been able to do it. Thankfully I had worked a sort at a different company and worked the ramp for years so I had an understanding of what was going on and could empathize with other work groups. I do wish the pax carriers would do something like this. Some of the crap I’ve heard folks say about ramp and gate agents is disgusting.

I literally don’t know if we’re having the same conversation!
Whimsical dismissal with a pinch of affected self-depreciation…

Well baked!

Still, what comes out of that oven leaves nothing to chew on.

Intellectual starvation ensues, and the masses seek nourishment in the empty calories of FaceTwat scraps.

There was once this program called “Eliza” on the CBM Pet computer…

That thing: the "Computer Business Machines" (CBM) "Personal Electronic Terminal" (PET) rocked over 200,000 unit sales in 1977-. (Pretty darned good back then when almost no one even knew what a computer was. The cool thing back then is that those who DID know what a computer was actually knew what a computer was... very much unlike today when everyone thinks they know, but even fewer do, percentage wise.)

Oh, and yeah, Eliza was pretty cool. Demonstrates the fact that clever thoughts always precede the ability to reify those thoughts. I sure feel THAT... every single day.

Still, what's your point? Or was that just another "clever"- bright as a shiny penny- diversion from the clever thoughts I thought we were discussing?

Last edited:
Thinking about this a little more, I've got to say that Eliza's "Did you put the money on the keyboard?" is perfect AI, even today.

Even today, AI is essentially just a much larger aggregation of vacuous human detritus used to determine what a computer "thinks" a "real" person might say in response to a stimulus.

Therefore, the autistic "nerd" who programmed Eliza to respond, "Did you put the money on the keyboard?" was WAY, WAY ahead of his time. He nailed the 47-year-later, statistically expected human response almost perfectly.

When AI starts telling humans what they SHOULD do, rather than what they WANT to do... then I might start having some respect for AI, or at least start to believe that AI has evolved to be smarter than most humans... which is NOT hard to do, if for no other reason than most humans are distracted by staring at their "smart" phones while manipulating 2 ton vehicles down roads.

Last edited:
Thinking about this a little more, I've got to say that Eliza's "Did you put the money on the keyboard?" is perfect AI, even today.

Even today, AI is essentially just a much larger aggregation of vacuous human detritus used to determine what a computer "thinks" a "real" person might say in response to a stimulus.

Therefore, the autistic "nerd" who programmed Eliza to respond, "Did you put the money on the keyboard?" was WAY, WAY ahead of his time. He nailed the 47-year-later, statistically expected human response almost perfectly.

When AI starts telling humans what they SHOULD do, rather than what they WANT to do... then I might start having some respect for AI, or at least start to believe that AI has evolved to be smarter than most humans... which is NOT hard to do, if for no other reason than most humans are distracted by staring at their "smart" phones while manipulating 2 ton vehicles down roads.
I'm not sure I understand this completely, but I'm pretty sure I "like" it. Not a huge fan of AI in its current state. I mean, damn, even auto-correct in typing something might get it right 40% of the time - if that.

Of course, it might just be the late night Gin, but I'm pretty sure I like what you wrote.

Not a huge fan of AI in its current state. I mean, damn, even auto-correct in typing something might get it right 40% of the time - if that.
I had dinner with a pair of bioinformatics PhDs (can't open the book halfway through, must start from the beginning) and naturally the topic came up—specifically that of generative AI—and the collective response was "it's just statistics and only knows what it's told," which seemed pretty spot on.

If you need some good word salad written, or some cursed art generated, well, AI's got you covered, I suppose.

From the people who ostensibly pay attention to this stuff and feed the people making the decisions (poorly), apparently we're here on the generative front:
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 09.36.38.png

I think autonomous vehicles are more on the 10 year timeframe than the 5 year timeframe, incidentally, and when I was in undergrad and worked on such a project circa 2008, computer vision was an emerging field that we mostly didn't have enough (or portable enough) raw computing power to pull off but it was certainly "on its way."

I had dinner with a pair of bioinformatics PhDs (can't open the book halfway through, must start from the beginning) and naturally the topic came up—specifically that of generative AI—and the collective response was "it's just statistics and only knows what it's told," which seemed pretty spot on.

If you need some good word salad written, or some cursed art generated, well, AI's got you covered, I suppose.

From the people who ostensibly pay attention to this stuff and feed the people making the decisions (poorly), apparently we're here on the generative front:
View attachment 76501
I think autonomous vehicles are more on the 10 year timeframe than the 5 year timeframe, incidentally, and when I was in undergrad and worked on such a project circa 2008, computer vision was an emerging field that we mostly didn't have enough (or portable enough) raw computing power to pull off but it was certainly "on its way."
Will they get out of the left lane?

Back