AA TA?

I'm getting restless slinging gear for idiots. I've flown with a lot of great guys, but lately I've been somehow bidding into lines with some real toolbags. I'm ready to either A) upgrade or B) move on to bigger and better things entirely. I need a new challenge- I'm bored.

Well, if you stayed at Colgan you would probably have had about 1500-2000 hours of TPIC and possibly a Beech, Slaab, and Q400 Type Rating.

:)

I'm getting restless slinging gear for idiots. I've flown with a lot of great guys, but lately I've been somehow bidding into lines with some real toolbags. I'm ready to either A) upgrade or B) move on to bigger and better things entirely. I need a new challenge- I'm bored.
Heh. "This airline has more tools than a Snap-On truck!"

Captains in DFW were a mixed bag...that was part of the fun!
Well, if you stayed at Colgan you would probably have had about 1500-2000 hours of TPIC and possibly a Beech, Slaab, and Q400 Type Rating.

not-sure-if-serious-or-if-trolling.jpg

Interesting interplay between Seggy, Firebird2XC and Autothrust Blue

Seggy went to what was considered a crap-bag regional, worked to make it better, got his TPIC and is now with a real airline.

Eagle guys went to the "quality" regional with the long upgrade, are still right seat and looking at the AMR BK, furloughs, etc.

Colgan is being shut down as well.

To me, the moral of the story - regionals suck. Get whatever you need quickly and get out. If you have to take crap-bag wages and QOL for a time, don't settle for slightly more than crap-bag wages and QOL and lengthen your time there. The regionals don't control their flying, therefore have limited control over their business. The regionals are a pure price-based commodity and one of the only levers that management can pull of the shareholders is wages - so they will always have negative pressure. The quick TPIC is better - it is a tangible asset and I would bet that suffering crap pay and QOL for a shorter time in exchange for TPIC is more lucrative in the long-run because you can end up getting a real job quicker.

That's just what I'm taking away from this - not sure but that's how I'm seeing it.

Somebody once told me that when you just can't stand it anymore, upgrade. :)

Seggy went to what was considered a crap-bag regional, worked to make it better, got his TPIC and is now with a real airline.

Eagle guys went to the "quality" regional with the long upgrade, are still right seat and looking at the AMR BK, furloughs, etc.

To me, the moral of the story - regionals suck. Get whatever you need quickly and get out. If you have to take crap-bag wages and QOL for a time, don't settle for slightly more than crap-bag wages and QOL and lengthen your time there. The regionals don't control their flying, therefore have limited control over their business. The regionals are a pure price-based commodity and one of the only levers that management can pull of the shareholders is wages - so they will always have negative pressure. The quick TPIC is better - it is a tangible asset and I would bet that suffering crap pay and QOL for a shorter time in exchange for TPIC is more lucrative in the long-run because you can end up getting a real job quicker.

That's just what I'm taking away from this - not sure but that's how I'm seeing it.

And the race to the bottom continues.

Although, I believe the current reality is that you're right.

To me, the moral of the story - regionals suck. Get whatever you need quickly and get out.
... [blah blah blah Waco blathers on for way too long]

There's a lot to be said for timing, etc, as well. Seggy had a head start at CJC and that made a lot of difference as to where he was with the TPIC/Captain time scenario, etc. I'll be 34 in two weeks, and as he told me, if I stayed at CJC, I could easily be at a Major by the time I was 35.

I now shudder to wonder what sort of scenario I'd be in had I stayed under the Pinnacle umbrella. Bankruptcy sucks, but I worry more about the Peaknuckle kids than I do the peeps here at AMR.

Life at Eagle isn't as good as it could be right now, but it's certainly not as bad as some predicted. Either way, I was about a year or two behind him at CJC, and if things go the way they're likely to, I won't be too far behind him on the move to a 'real' airline.

That said, I think the shutdown of Comair, CJC, and the resulting shift in how 'regionals' do business will be continuous for the next five years or so. Things are going to change quite a bit, and the line between 'regional' and 'major' will continue to blur.

.... I'd actually be fairly happy with Eagle if the paycheck for the right seat was a bit higher. That said, SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Somebody once told me that when you just can't stand it anymore, upgrade. :)

Yeah, it's getting to about that point. Actually had a Captain tell me that the other day. Granted, he also assumed the gritting of my teeth was entirely a matter of who was in command. It clearly had nothing to do with feeling like I was a flying with an 8 year old on a sugar rush that never shut up. Nah, that was in no way irritating, or something the FA asked me how I tolerated. Clearly, I just need to upgrade. ;)

I'm with ATB- not sure if trolling. ;)
In the meantime, I have over 4000 hours of mostly turbine time, and I have Beech SIC time (which would at least get me a job..) and an EMJ-145 PIC type rating as well.

... considering the number of -145s flooding the business market, I'll bank on that before anything else. And chasing TPIC is a fool's errand- it's a totally manufactured hiring metric, and when the next hiring wave starts, will likely be irrelevant. I may be tugging on your sleeve in regards to your current employer if things don't get moving soon though. Living in FLL where I could drive to Cocoa to surf and down to the Keys to scuba and Salsa all up and down the peninsula wouldn't exactly kill me. :)

It clearly had nothing to do with feeling like I was a flying with an 8 year old on a sugar rush that never shut up. Nah, that was in no way irritating, or something the FA asked me how I tolerated. Clearly, I just need to upgrade. ;)

You're getting to be senior on the FO side. It means you get "senior" lines where you are paired with "senior" captains.

Occupational hazard.

You're getting to be senior on the FO side. It means you get "senior" lines where you are paired with "senior" captains.

Occupational hazard.

When I was in the regional biz, the senior guys were "senior for a reason".

"You missed the last few hiring waves because of what, again? Oh yeah because United only hires girls. It's not your attitude... Riiiiiiight" :)

I don't want to paint with too broad a brush. Some of our senior guys are awesome sauce but regrettably many have become lifers because of their personality or lack of skills. That said, I've heard some horror stories from FOs about some of our newer captains as well.

When I was in the regional biz, the senior guys were "senior for a reason".

"You missed the last few hiring waves because of what, again? Oh yeah because United only hires girls. It's not your attitude... Riiiiiiight" :)

I've flown with many a captain that said the same thing. Due to certain circumstances, they got stuck here. Orrrr, they held out for 'merican to hire, or flow. Same song, same dance.

I've also flown with a couple 14+ year guys that are captains here, in their 40's, that don't want to move on. Their QOL has become too good for them at a regional that they are willing to stay put.

I've flown with many a captain that said the same thing. Due to certain circumstances, they got stuck here. Orrrr, they held out for 'merican to hire, or flow. Same song, same dance.

I've also flown with a couple 14+ year guys that are captains here, in their 40's, that don't want to move on. Their QOL has become too good for them at a regional that they are willing to stay put.

There are a lot of good people in Covington and Erlanger that were unfortunately thinking the same thing.

Sent from my TRS-80

There's a lot to be said for timing, etc, as well. Seggy had a head start at CJC and that made a lot of difference as to where he was with the TPIC/Captain time scenario, etc. I'll be 34 in two weeks, and as he told me, if I stayed at CJC, I could easily be at a Major by the time I was 35.

I now shudder to wonder what sort of scenario I'd be in had I stayed under the Pinnacle umbrella. Bankruptcy sucks, but I worry more about the Peaknuckle kids than I do the peeps here at AMR.

Life at Eagle isn't as good as it could be right now, but it's certainly not as bad as some predicted. Either way, I was about a year or two behind him at CJC, and if things go the way they're likely to, I won't be too far behind him on the move to a 'real' airline.

That said, I think the shutdown of Comair, CJC, and the resulting shift in how 'regionals' do business will be continuous for the next five years or so. Things are going to change quite a bit, and the line between 'regional' and 'major' will continue to blur.

.... I'd actually be fairly happy with Eagle if the paycheck for the right seat was a bit higher. That said, SHOW ME THE MONEY!

It wasn't so much that Eagle is good, bad or Colgan is good, bad or anything like that based on pay, QOL, etc. It was that the idea of the regionals and the business model - where they don't really own their flying but are simply outsourced providers of a product - is inherently weak and as an employee you are subject to many variables that are scary. My thinking was that your biggest risk is not so much the pay/QOL of the regional but the idea that Delta or whatever mainline can pretty much cut you off any time. So, as a regional pilot you have your management to deal with, as well as the real bosses - the management that runs and makes the decisions at whatever mainline carrier you serve. The risk-management move here - get your time (and I know that is a guess and has luck involved) and get out to a career job as soon as possible. That's all I was saying.

Work like hell until the name on the paycheck matches the name on the side of the jet, else it can all vanish suddenly.

Sent from my TRS-80

Work like hell until the name on the paycheck matches the name on the side of the jet, else it can all vanish suddenly.

I just said that exact thing in an interview recently and all 4 guys (well, 2 guys and 2 gals) looked at me... thought about it for a minute and then I could literally see the light bulbs appearing over their head. It was awesome.

That's great! You don't know now many people go on and on about how they have weekends off, just cranked out a puppy or two with the wife, bought a house in their growing and bustling base and how he cant afford the "pay cut" to go to a major...

Hell, I'm hardly certain my job is going to be here Monday morning, I sure as hell wouldn't feel any better if I flew subcontracted flying.

Sent from my TRS-80

Back