AA TA?

It seems more to me that the pilot group told the company and the union (or perhaps the union leadership) no thanks. But I come from a perspective where I feel my union doesn't necessarily represent my interests.

See... at some properties (unlike DALPA) the pilot group IS the Union. APA leadership may have been told something by this, but I really don't think so. They weren't trying to sell it very hard, unlike the recent Delta agreement.

I don't think so. I think they were counting on this. I doubt they're going to get the relief from a BK judge that they want in this environment. They don't have the same argument that management had in the mid-'00s about their competition paying far less. If I had to bet on it, I'd say this is ultimately heading towards Doug Parker getting his way.
...there's not a carrier on the planet that has requested, and been denied, the authority to impose Ts and Cs under Section 1113...

...there's not a carrier on the planet that has requested, and been denied, the authority to impose Ts and Cs under Section 1113...

You're missing a key point, though: virtually no one has actually gotten to that point. If memory serves, only the flight attendants at NWA actually got there, and the judge severely restricted what could be implemented. A pilot group has never had their CBA abrogated under 1113(c) that I can remember.

ATN_Pilot have you seen this: Captain Bates' resignation https://public.alliedpilots.org/apa...articleId/1636/Captain-Bates-resignation.aspx

RE: Letter of Resignation

My Fellow American Airlines Pilots:

At the request of the APA Board of Directors, I agreed late yesterday to resign as your union president. My resignation is effective immediately.

I did not take this action lightly, but based my decision on the conviction that it would be best for our union and the pilots we represent. Although I believe that ratifying the tentative agreement would have been the best course for our pilot group, the majority of our pilots signaled their preference for taking a different path. Given these circumstances, I concluded that continuing to serve as your president was not in the interests of the pilots I have been charged with representing.

I will do everything possible to facilitate a smooth transition and am likewise committed to helping ensure our ultimate success. Whatever our differences, we have much more in common with one another as professional pilots for American Airlines.

In closing, I want to thank each of you for the opportunity to serve as APA President. It has been an honor and a privilege that I will always treasure.

Sincerely,​
Captain David Bates​

Is this a good or bad thing for the AA pilots?

No, I hadn't seen that. In my opinion, it's a bad thing for AA pilots. Captain Bates was a common sense, pragmatic leader. Hopefully someone like his predecessor doesn't replace him.

Alrighty...Eagle folks...something on the near horizon for you it seems. You guys have any tidbits to share?

From Jetnet:
Judge Lane will rule on the company's 1113 motion for pilots as scheduled on Aug. 15, and will postpone his ruling on the flight attendants' contract until after their ratification voting period ends Aug. 19.

Not really. Although, I will say that there's a whole lot of pilots in places we don't need I.E. NYC and not so many in places we need I.E. ORD. Ran out of rsvs yesterday at 8am and ran out of rsvs for today, yesterday around 1300. And they just unblocked CA/FO for ORD/DFW/MIA/JFK EMJ and ORD CRJ.

No, I hadn't seen that. In my opinion, it's a bad thing for AA pilots. Captain Bates was a common sense, pragmatic leader. Hopefully someone like his predecessor doesn't replace him.

Bates had to resign, he was pushing for the TA to be passed .. and since the TA was voted down it was the next step.
Just a few months ago, they gave a NO vote to management, so I wasn't surprised when this POS TA wasn't voted in.
Good luck to the APA guys, most militant in the business.

Bates had to resign, he was pushing for the TA to be passed .. and since the TA was voted down it was the next step.
Just a few months ago, they gave a NO vote to management, so I wasn't surprised when this POS TA wasn't voted in.
I was really surprised it got voted down. APA is mostly talk and very little bite, now the APFA is some militant girls.

Gonzo said:
I was really surprised it got voted down. APA is mostly talk and very little bite, now the APFA is some militant girls.

BOS 73 guy rode my Jumpseat yesterday.. He said its a big win and the APA really rallied from the inside to make this vote happen..

Good for them.

I disagree. There's no reason for one to necessarily lead to the other.

Militancy is only good when it's tied to smarts. In this case, I think they made the wise decision. In past cases, not so much.

Gonzo, were talking about a 61% NO vote ...!! So that's a big bite if you ask me.
ATN, Bates was really pushing to get this passed, saying it was the only way to go. For me he did the right thing, left like a gentleman. And regarding their previous decisions, I agree they haven't made the best decisions, BUT when it came down to the biggest decision in the unions history, they stepped up to the plate.

Merger rumors are flying all over the place today regarding a decision within the next few weeks, it's going to get interesting.

Back