AA Hiring Aug 2021

I was in a group interview in which one of the poorer responses came from someone with 20+ years with considerable time as a SOC controller. Experience is invaluable however I did see some people demonstrate their complacency as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not the case at all. None of us have job hopped. I’ve, personally, only been at 2 airlines, my first being a regional. 5 years at my current, 2 of which are COVID years. Those I associate with are the same - we have clean resumes and we are great, very knowledgeable and professional employees. Not to toot our horns, but if they have skipped on any of us, they’ve truly missed out on some phenomenal candidates. Sounds to me like if this information is correct, they’ve only hired regional…
In my experience airlines want to see professional growth and development. 2-3 years on the desk is good. 7 years experience on the desk is not. They're not impressed by 7 years experience. They're wondering why you haven't been promoted, or moved on to bigger and better things.

In my experience airlines want to see professional growth and development. 2-3 years on the desk is good. 7 years experience on the desk is not. They're not impressed by 7 years experience. They're wondering why you haven't been promoted, or moved on to bigger and better things.
I mean, I'm not going to sit here and list my whole resume (LOL), but I know for a fact that that is not the case for anyone I personally know. And once you're at -not a regional-, opportunities for promotion aren't abundant anymore. When I was at my regional, I literally worked every position in the dispatch department besides dispatch manager. If you're at an airline where upper management and training staff aren't constantly revolving like at a regional, you will find that being at the desk and working shift lead are the best options you have unless you move laterally. If you move laterally, then they doubt your ability to dispatch anymore seeing as you don't have any recent experience. It's a double-edge sword. I'm not saying that I'm in any way superior to those at regionals. You all are trying just as hard as everyone else. I just find it discouraging that more experience in practically all facets of dispatching (not just desk work) might potentially be stifling some of us...

I mean, I had almost 10 years of experience at three different regionals and one startup carrier when I got hired by a major - just got to keep plugging away, networking, etc. and apply at every major opening that you see.

I mean, I had almost 10 years of experience at three different regionals and one startup carrier when I got hired by a major - just got to keep plugging away, networking, etc. and apply at every major opening that you see.

Have to agree with you.

networking is huge, having a wide array of talents from side responsibilities helps, and know basics of the airline you are applying.
the AA interview asked2 real questions in interview,you could tell who had knowledge and a plan for thequestions they asked while the others didn’t. The interview reminded me very much of how it was dealing with a crew potentially. Talk with confidence and have a real plan, they will respect it and listen to what you have to say.

Is it really true that moving to a 2nd regional looks bad? I just wanted to be closer to family that's all. And it was more money.

Is it really true that moving to a 2nd regional looks bad? I just wanted to be closer to family that's all. And it was more money.

I don’t think moving between regionals is bad, it’s being stagnant at the regionals is bad. picking up side duties like EQ Coord, training in classroom or on the floor, ASAP, heck even working OTand keeping your head down and working being a valuable and reliable member of the team is most important.
Don’t be the one that is popping up on the radar, or always away his/her desk. Lastly, always keep learning. Spend a week learn the centers, next week the states, next week start going over city codes, charts, etc. I did that and it all started to click and helped in the interview.

I switched regionals due to my first one being in Chapter 11 and the new one being closer to my hometown (as well as paying more.) They weren't a well-managed regional, but I enjoyed some things about my time there. I don't think it looked bad on my resume at all.

I don’t think moving between regionals is bad, it’s being stagnant at the regionals is bad. picking up side duties like EQ Coord, training in classroom or on the floor, ASAP, heck even working OTand keeping your head down and working being a valuable and reliable member of the team is most important.
Don’t be the one that is popping up on the radar, or always away his/her desk. Lastly, always keep learning. Spend a week learn the centers, next week the states, next week start going over city codes, charts, etc. I did that and it all started to click and helped in the interview.

I'm curious, what do you mean by click? Did your understanding of airline operations get better?

I'm curious, what do you mean by click? Did your understanding of airline operations get better?

what I mean by click is that the random knowledge and experiences I had and others started to make sense. It can be for tests or just in your job as a dispatcher.

We all should know how many center we have in the US (24 total, 20 in the 48 states). Numbering runways, city codes, etc but I spent like 2 weeks going over all the codes for metars and TAFs, half the stuff we never see, then boom on the AA exam there is a chart for it, and it clicked like okay I actually needed this.

On clear weather days, challenge yourself if you have under 5 years xspa and learn something new. Find something you don’t know or often overlook because you don’t deal with it often and dig into it. Hell, you even had to do math on the AA test, and I know people who couldn’t do simple math, come on people!

I can confirm that the offer letters are out in the wild. For those asking about experience, I was a ramper for a cargo operation for five years, then two years of regional dispatch experience, and I got called.

Already hearing they have people selected from
I assume you mean unqualified? because that's the issue that i am having. Makes me wonder what all you have to put on the app to get something other than not selected.

To be honest experience is not a factor, I've seen people with less than a year go into AA while some of us have 10+ years and get over looked to move on.

I can confirm that the offer letters are out in the wild. For those asking about experience, I was a ramper for a cargo operation for five years, then two years of regional dispatch experience, and I got called.

They announced on the floor that you will get a call if you get it or not. Who knows now what is the deal, I heard they are trying to get a class for April 2022.

I'm wondering what the story is myself. I've been watching my application status. It kept saying in progress with the date updating every couple days even after all the calls had gone out. Now there is no status listed as of the 22nd. It doesn't say "in progress" but it doesn't say "not selected" either.

Last edited:
People are already doing their background checks and fingerprints. If you haven't gotten a call yet I'm afraid you're out of luck for this one.

Back