A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the captain if the flight was diverted

Although a counterpoint, SWA doesn't use flaps 1...

one retired SWA guy I fly with asks for Flaps 5 as his first setting when inbound.

We’re so loose at my part time gig, and with guys from many other airlines, that I just flex to whatever someone else does when they’re flying. None of it is unsafe, it’s just different technique that gets to the same end point.

Some pilots turn on the igniters when the crossfeed is on. I never do, but whether someone does or doesn’t is fine. Doesn’t hurt anything.

Now, some old heads who still do a standby power check/test, that’s not really good to do anymore on these ancient airframes. Unless one enjoys frying other electrical items.

Just be thankful you don't fly at a place that does things because that's how it's done on another fleet.

I’m glad we still let FOs taxi on the 747. I think all “captain only” stuff is stupid because I’d rather be sitting next to someone who has done something before vs “I’m a new captain, let’s see how this goes!”

The whole reason for wanting to take that away was “not all 767s have tillers on the right side.” They also don’t have engines 1 and 4 and the body gear. Can we still use that?

They literally train you to fly the new airplane…

Is that a thing - those who were big shots in the armed forces having trouble taking commands in the right seat? Because I would totally believe it if you told me that was a thing.

My general aviation experience has been the opposite I should note. Every ex-military guy I ever gave a new member flying club orientation to was all ears and extremely humble.

Generally I’ve found that the vets who actually did cool stuff have been fantastic. The ones who drove a bus and never left the US are the ones who struggle with the fact that their previous experience means very little.

Do you really think you won't suffer from the same enforcement/discipline action if you "allow" a captain to put the wing into something?

I mean, post mostly made in jest. But F/Os aren't allowed to do the driving, here, so you can be damned sure that I do not accept when some of the more eh "free-spirited" Captains offer to let me take the tiller.

Edit: Ok, that's not entirely true. I did, once. Of course I did. And it was cool. And then I started having the mental movie of the nosewheel going in to the dirt and me getting an all-expenses-paid ride to the guard shack as my pension grew little wings and flew west.

Last edited:
Do you really think you won't suffer from the same enforcement/discipline action if you "allow" a captain to put the wing into something?

Let me tell you about my trip to the "Big Brown Desk".

If you have a type rating, the FAA will literally ask:

"I see that you're a type-rated 767 first officer"

"Yessir"

"Was that an SIC type rating?"

"No sir"

"A PIC type rating?"

"Yes"

"So, as a PIC type rated first officer, you let your captain do (something moronic?)"

"Well, he's the captain but I said..."

"YOWER CAPTAIN QUALIFIED, SON, let me ask again..."

ALPA attorney in the room, ALPA representatives in the room, company chief pilot in the room, HR in the room, FAA in the room: "Answer the question"

:)

"Yessir"

"No sir"

"A PIC type rating?"

"Yes"

"So, as a PIC type rated first officer, you let your captain do (something moronic?)"

ALPA attorney in the room, ALPA representatives in the room, company chief pilot in the room, HR in the room, FAA in the room: "Answer the question"

Your hearing will improve at your hearing…

"Yessir"

"No sir"

"A PIC type rating?"

"Yes"

If I recall you shared that experience with another FO who was married our former ALPA LRC.

"Yessir"

"No sir"

"A PIC type rating?"

"Yes"

"It all happened so fast! You can hear me on the CVR saying 'woah, let's slow down!'...and I *resent* the unproven and *baseless* allegation that this was in to my cellphone to my girlfriend, who, yes, *does* occasionally earn some extra money at the 'Cat's Meow Club', which is *no way* germane to this hearing..."

Back