A note to the new folks. This is a workplace.

For the 737, I bought a RJ flight kit hardcase from Crew Gear. IPad plus charger inside side pocket. Big space inside for my Bose Headset A20 (takes up a lot of space). Then my Bose Q15 for DHs. Flashlight, sunglasses, laptop, charger, plane wings and cards for kids, pens, passport, and “reading materials” magazines.

This fits *perfectly* in the side spot meant for a kit bag on a 737…

View attachment 69247
and you lose 10,000 internet points by voluntarily carrying this thing.

I’d rather overnight in PIT than NYC. Terrific baseball stadium, easy to rent bikes and trails, easy to walk, good history museums.

I’d rather overnight in PIT than NYC. Terrific baseball stadium, easy to rent bikes and trails, easy to walk, good history museums.
Downtown Cleveland is one of my favorite layovers we do. People are shocked by that. It sure beats NYC.

Imagine if us three got put into an augmented crew somehow . I feel pity for whoever would have to put up with us.
its always nice to find other unabashed nerds out there

Onlookers: "Those guys are talking about something I don't understand and they obsoletely HATE each other!"
Reality: "HA!! These guys are bigger nerds than I am!!! Awesome!"

"Just fly straight at ’em as fast as ya can, give ’em sum dakka, and don't ferget to yell “WAAAGH!” dead loud like. Nuffin’ to it!"

((I now understand that A10 drivers are just flyboyz))

I grew up in PIT. Went to Moon Jr High and would cut class and ride my bike to the end of 28R and watch the USAir DC9s come and go - the same DC9s I would later fly.

I loved Primantis, Wings Suds and Spuds, and downtown is beautiful! We were married on the Gateway Clipper riverboat just off the point.

I'd move back in a second over flat, boring, Texas if I had the chance.

Oh, and I LOVE our downtown overnights in NYC too. Always have, even back at Airways when we stayed at the Mildew Plaza.

Maybe one man's trash is another's treasure.

I actually loved the Milford back in the day. Great location, but peope would bitch about the size of the room. What activities do you have planned in NY that you need an Embassy Suites-sized room in an old city? Before it closed, the Roosevelt was cool too.

I really don't think a lot of picky crews realize that an airline will negotiate for a large block of rooms, give demands and demand a steep discount for a group that's notoriously cheap. "Oh, and we need fridges, microwaves, late checkouts, separate check-in areas, etc etc etc.."

Last edited:
I actually loved the Milford back in the day. Great location, but peope would bitch about the size of the room. What activities do you have planned in NY that you need an Embassy Suites-sized room in an old city? Before it closed, the Roosevelt was cool too.

I really don't think a lot of picky crews realize that an airline will negotiate for a large block of rooms, give demands and demand a steep discount for a group that's notoriously cheap. "Oh, and we need fridges, microwaves, late checkouts, separate check-in areas, etc etc etc.."

The Hotel Committee was always a thorn in my side. Filled with people who have unrealistic expectations. After they went on a jihad against us because they weren’t satisfied with what we negotiated, which was essentially industry leading hotel language, I fired the whole committee and replaced them from scratch.

and you lose 10,000 internet points by voluntarily carrying this thing.

My VX one had multiple zipper pockets and the Bose A20 wouldn’t fit inside. Not to mention, it was “fat” enough that moving my seat full aft would crush my flight bag. The seat moves back and then towards the side window.

So I literally measured that spot on the floor of the 737 where the flight kit is meant to be. I swear, this crew gear flight kit is meant to exist here :)

I've learned to just pay attention to and accept the red flags, rather than hope for the best.

Living rent free in your head. Count 3.

(If you haven’t noticed, I’ve stopped attacking you. Now I just run a count of your personal attacks on me, so JC can see who has the sick obsession and still can’t let go).

As a pizza lover, nothing beats NYC.

AGREED!

giphy.gif

I haven't been to NYC since 1998 or so, although I live just 70 miles to the north with lots of public transportation options. Haven't missed it a bit.

Got some fine nearby restaurants, deer and fox and others come to visit often in this place, and there is neither a cacophony of constant sound nor a multitude of people with whom I have to rub shoulders. If I want "culture," somehow, there is a bit of that more local but, after these nearly 69 years, I'm pretty damned happy with the silence of the woods and the critters who visit. The grocery store is my "excitement" these days, without regret. Some friends and family are relatively close at hand, and life is good - as it should be.

Of course, YMMV - as circumstances and personal choice dictate.

I spent most of the summer of 2021 doing at least one Manhattan long layover per week. Museums, yoga pants, GREAT FOOD, parks, people watching, what is there to not like (other than stepping in and smelling garbage water)? You could literally live there for a year and not see everything.

PIT is aight. Really, most places are aight.

if you can’t find something of value to do on an overnight, you’re doing the overnight wrong.

Back