A Career in Dispatch

Austin

Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker on these forums for over a year and have read every thread since then. I have learned a lot about dispatch just from reading these forums. I do however, have a few questions that I would like to ask to better gauge the possibility of me having a career in dispatch.

But first a little about myself:

I am 25 years old and am shortly going to graduate from college in a non-aviation degree (B.S. in Finance). After doing an internship for a big bank, I have decided that the finance world is not for me. I have a wife that will support me in whatever I do, even having to relocate for work.

Now a few questions/concerns:

1. I have noticed that many of the training schools sometimes have classes of 20-30 students. Considering that many of these schools teach 9 or 10 different sections per year that is a large number of newly licensed dispatchers hitting the workforce constantly. What is the real demand for dispatchers? I have contacted a half-dozen different schools and they all tell me that demand is high (of course they say that). I am just looking for some thoughts from people that actually work in the field or are currently looking for jobs. Like I mentioned before, my wife is very supportive but I am sure that she wouldn't be too thrilled if I paid 6 grand to get my license and then not be able to find a job.
  2. I am currently leaning toward attending either IFOD, Sheffield (although the owners rants on this forum have kinda made me think twice about this), and Jeppsen. I have also looked into many other training facilities. My question is; are there any places that you would absolutely recommend or avoid?
  3. Is a dispatchers salary generally enough to survive on? Of course I don't expect an extravagant lifestyle. Just enough to pay the bills and maybe put a little aside. I know this is probably a difficult question to answer but would love to hear any thoughts/experiences on it.

Thanks for reading my massive wall-of-text. Any feedback is much appreciated! :)

Austin

I went to Sheffield and my class had 25 students in it. Close to half were from other countries that are just seeking to get the FAA license, so they would not be dispatching for a US airline. From what I've read others post about IFOD, it's the same way there. Not sure about Jeppesen. There are always airlines hiring dispatchers. A willingness to relocate is pretty much a must. With that said, it seems the average time to find a job as a dispatcher after graduating is around 2-3 months.

All the schools you mentioned are very good. Like I said, I went to Sheffield, loved it and highly recommend it. It was a very intense program but well worth it. Don't let what Mr. Morris said scare you off. My best advice is ask each school questions about their program and teaching styles and go to the one that sounds best for you.

You'll most likely start off at a regional airline and spend a few years there before you have the experience necessary to move onto a major. Regional pay is typically in the low-mid 30s starting out, but I am doing well on it. You pretty much have the right expectations about not living an extravagant lifestyle.

I went to Jeppesen and of the 25 of us in my class, only 7 of us are from the US. And out of us 7, I think I am the only one from class actually working as a DX. Three of them I know of just haven't pursued it. A fourth had to retake the course and just got his license last week. The other few I'm just not sure as to whether they have tried to get a job. So when thinking of classes being full, remember that most of the class is likely to be foreign students.

The schools you mentioned all have great reputations; not sure about which ones out there to avoid. There are many, many DX on this forum who went to the schools you are looking into, so there is plenty advice to be given. :)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

My IFOD class had 15 in October, half were foreign (including one each from Iran, Syria, and Nepal) and only five of us weren't working for an airline. To my knowledge none of us five are currently dispatching although we have all gotten interviews, but that may change since I haven't really been keeping touch with them outside of Facebook. The only real downside to IFOD is they don't teach the Jeppesen charts, but they have them all on-site so over the weekends you can use them to teach yourself or go online after you pass the ADX.

Thanks for all of the insight everyone! I think that I am leaning towards IFOD currently (because of its location). Another question, I notice that most schools have job placement assistance. Is this any good? Or do they basically just email you job openings that they have found?
Thanks!

Austin said:
Thanks for all of the insight everyone! I think that I am leaning towards IFOD currently (because of its location). Another question, I notice that most schools have job placement assistance. Is this any good? Or do they basically just email you job openings that they have found?
Thanks!

Jeppesen just emails job openings :)

It's good that your wife supports you and is willing to move!! That will no doubt make it easier for you to go to school!

With in regards to finding a school make sure it's a part 65 school - it doesn't matter where you go in the long run as long as it is a part 65 school. It's all about what you learn in school and how you shine during the interview. With respect to Sheffield, Jeppesen and IFOD - you will go thru a practical as outlined in the PTS 8081 which the FAA states the examiner must cover with you in order to get your ticket. Also, the schools must follow FAR 65 subpart C which dictates what must be taught during the course. Each year, the FAA will sit in the class to keep the accreditation.

I have worked with people from IFOD, AGS, Sheffield, the flight control academy and a few college tailored courses. All are equal because you will learn most of your experience on the job, school is only to teach you the basics of dispatching NOT the job itself.

Pick the school that fits your needs, each school has it's pros and cons......

Thanks for all of the replies! They have definitely helped me make some important decisions.

One more question though: Will having a college degree in an unrelated field put me at a disadvantage at landing a job in dispatch? I know that there are many people with various aviation degrees that go in to dispatching so I was just hoping for some forum feedback on my situation! Thanks again all!

Austin

Thanks for all of the replies! They have definitely helped me make some important decisions.

One more question though: Will having a college degree in an unrelated field put me at a disadvantage at landing a job in dispatch? I know that there are many people with various aviation degrees that go in to dispatching so I was just hoping for some forum feedback on my situation! Thanks again all!

Austin
Doubt it, I have a BS in Aviation Management and MS in Travel Industry Management, still no job. Work experience is the key, since at the end of the day so long as you are 23 and have a HS Diploma you can become a dispatcher, college is rarely required

It is good they'll have a degree but in my experience it doesn't really matter what the degree is in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It is good they'll have a degree but in my experience it doesn't really matter what the degree is in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
^^^This, unless your degree is in accounting, law, economics, or computers in which case you just go into corporate as an analyst...

^^^This, unless your degree is in accounting, law, economics, or computers in which case you just go into corporate as an analyst...

Finance major here.. Although I am not all that interested in an analyst position.

Austin said:
Surgical Technology? That sounds interesting! What is a typical career path for someone with that degree??

Specifically, to assist in surgery, on all surgical specialties. Did it for years!

Back