787 on fire

Reminds me of this incident on an ABX 767:

abx-4.jpg

Wiring issue combined with a proximity to oxygen systems.

Dreamliner ---> Nightmare. It truly breaks my heart to see this trend developing. If they're not careful it's going to transition from "every airplane has teething issues" into irrecoverable reputation and trust issues

"The U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch said today it’s looking at the emergency locater transmitter situated near the back of the Dreamliner where the July 12 fire occurred.

“We can confirm that Honeywell have been invited to join the investigation,” the AAIB said in an e-mailed response to questions. “The ELT is one of several components being looked at in detail as part of the investigation. It would be premature to speculate on the causes of the incident at this stage.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-07-15/honeywell-to-join-investigation-on-boeing-787-fire

I think that's a bit extreme.

http://avherald.com/

Crap happens to airplanes everyday but it doesn't make headlines. The mainstream media is hyper sensitive about the 787 because they have a chance to strike fear into the general public with a subject a majority are already uncomfortable with.

I would normally agree but how many 787s are flying at this point? How many have been on fire? I realize this could be completely unrelated to batteries and not even Boeing's fault but does this mean no more fires, then? I'm waiting, too. If the percentage of potentially fatal incidents to airplanes falls, then I will believe in the plane.

Also look at the Airbus A320 (had two fatals with Air France and Air Inter) when the plane first came out.

Holy cow, if the A 320 accident happened today, there'd be an Obamacare tie-in. :)

Although I wouldn't put my family on a 787 right at this minute, the reality is carbon fiber and monster batteries are what's next.

Some of these systems are 270 VDC. My dad an I used to take bets on which one of these new 48 VDC systems the military is getting into would be the next roman candle on the ramp. The dielectrics on a high voltage DC system show creeping and channeling over time... and the reason isn't fully understood yet. We will get there, but so much of this stuff is just so crazy and new it's like a flying science experiment. I get so pissed at Boeing for taking this "new" field and running with it WITHOUT taking the steps toward a quality control model that makes sense, and every time something slips through I don't see them to crap to fix it. I'm not saying anyone is going to be blowing any whistles like the stupid Eclipse jet, but there were trembles in the force for years and Boeing just shoulders through it- because if you act invincible, magically you will become it.

I love looking back, at ships and airplanes. Ships, wood only dammit! Then fiberglass came around and everyone scoffed- then it took hold and now almost everything is glass. Then carbon fiber, well that's only good for racing vessels, except it's not.

Wooden airplanes, then aluminum airplanes, now composite airplanes. Bill Lear and the LearFan... Bill Lear the best thing that ever happened to airplanes and science since I don't know when. Olive Beech and her team of engineers (yes even the outsourced screwball Rutan) with the Starship 2000. Twenty years later, Liberty's, Cirrus's, and the 787. What a compressed time scale compared to ships and probably because of Bill Lear more than anyone. Somehow, 50 (maybe 60) years from now my grandkids will be looking back at me saying "Wait so... you guys had aluminum airplanes back then?- Can that even fly? Only 2 batteries? I don't understand!"

Back