787 on fire

So it looks like the 787 batteries (of repute) are not located near where the burn-through was, at the ass-end door. (from the Boeing ARFF 787 Info, http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/arff/arff787.pdf)
I don't know where this diagram comes from but it is incorrect, APU batteries are below the aft cargo bay, directly below the burn through.
If the picture you posted was correct that would mean that the FAA approved the batteries to be mounted below the center fuel tank, which of course is never allowed.

I don't know where this diagram comes from but it is incorrect, APU batteries are below the aft cargo bay, directly below the burn through.
If the picture you posted was correct that would mean that the FAA approved the batteries to be mounted below the center fuel tank, which of course is never allowed.

It was produced by Boeing for ARFF crews responding to the aircraft. I'd say it's probably pretty accurate.

OK smart asses, the picture he posted is the vent, not the location. Here is the location, and also a picture of the JAL APU battery fire, notice where the smoke is and where they are fighting it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

OK smart asses, the picture he posted is the vent, not the location. Here is the location, and also a picture of the JAL APU battery fire, notice where the smoke is and where they are fighting it.

I'm not typed on the airplane so I don't have any accurate diagrams.
The ones you posted were produced by a newspaper sourced from info from Boeing. They show a broad generalization of where the batteries are located. The document posted above was a technical diagram given to first responders.

The smoke is billowing out of the open aft cargo baggage door and doesn't necessarily depict where the location of the source of the smoke.
There are numerous reports out this morning that yesterday's incident is not caused by a battery issue since the fire occurred away from (aft) where the batteries are located.

A Life, thanks for the pics, but unless I am missing something I don't see anything with battery locations, just battery vents, two very different things.

I hope that you guys are correct and that this is not a battery fire.

A Life, thanks for the pics, but unless I am missing something I don't see anything with battery locations, just battery vents, two very different things.

I hope that you guys are correct and that this is not a battery fire.
You cannot see the photo above and did not look at PAGE 7 of the link posted?? There is a diagram of both batteries, their specific locations/bays and their frames/housing and where they are located inside each equipment frame. Good grief.

Just talke to my friend who is typed on the aircraft.
The APU battery is in the aft of the electrical equipment bay, and located directly beneath the third set of cabin doors.
The diagram that shows the battery vents is a bit misleading but technically accurate, however the only way to access the APU batteries is through the cargo doors.
He said an APU battery fire would in his opinion not cause the damage that was shown on the Ethiopian flight, however tht is just his opinion.
Hopefully he is right, and this turns out to be something different. (Like a cargo fire) and not boeings fault.

Just talke to my friend who is typed on the aircraft.
The APU battery is in the aft of the electrical equipment bay, and located directly beneath the third set of cabin doors.
The diagram that shows the battery vents is a bit misleading but technically accurate, however the only way to access the APU batteries is through the cargo doors.
He said an APU battery fire would in his opinion not cause the damage that was shown on the Ethiopian flight, however tht is just his opinion.
Hopefully he is right, and this turns out to be something different. (Like a cargo fire) and not boeings fault.
Please, one more time. Forget the battery vents diagram that Minuteman posted. For the third (and hopefully last) time....look at PAGE SEVEN of this link. http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/arff/arff787.pdf

The damage is again, I believe, right above the galley area and has nothing to do with cargo.

No updates today on what happened. They towed the plane to a hangar at Heathrow.

The New York Times reports the British Air Accidents Investigation Branch said in a statement that the fire resulted in smoke throughout the plane and extensive heat damage in the upper part of the rear fuselage. But it said that the damage was not near either of the plane’s lithium-ion batteries. And “at this stage, there is no evidence of a direct causal relationship” between the batteries and the fire, the statement said.

Also from the NYT, the Financial Times quoted an Ethiopian manager in Britain as saying that maintenance workers had discovered a problem with the plane’s air-conditioning system during a routine inspection and had seen sparks but no flames.

Personally I would think a battery fire would actually be better. Mostly because it's a known issue and is easy to diagnose and simply say "ok no more li-ion batteries". If other systems are catching fire, that is a bigger issue. Just me though.

Personally I'd do everything I could to not set foot on this plane at least for the next few years IMO.

Personally I'd do everything I could to not set foot on this plane at least for the next few years IMO.

I think that's a bit extreme.

http://avherald.com/

Crap happens to airplanes everyday but it doesn't make headlines. The mainstream media is hyper sensitive about the 787 because they have a chance to strike fear into the general public with a subject a majority are already uncomfortable with.

I think that's a bit extreme.

http://avherald.com/

Crap happens to airplanes everyday but it doesn't make headlines. The mainstream media is hyper sensitive about the 787 because they have a chance to strike fear into the general public with a subject a majority are already uncomfortable with.

Avherald is a great place to get some unbiased accounts of accidents/incidents. The comments tend to be a little youtubeesque though.

Back