76 C177 RG

That would be sweet. Love that engine

What does it give you? Better climb and a few more True? Doesnt the 390 have a lower TBO?

I flew a 73 177B for a while. Fantastic airplane, one of my favorites to this day.

What does it give you? Better climb and a few more True? Doesnt the 390 have a lower TBO?

I flew a 73 177B for a while. Fantastic airplane, one of my favorites to this day.
About the only direct comparison I have is two otherwise identical Glasair Sportsmen 2+2, one with io360 10:1 pistons, another with stock io390. The later one just had more oomph. Torquey in the right places, shorter TO, better climb

Right on - its a cool STC. I'm not sure what justifies the extra expense for a 177's purpose. I won't deny it would feel more 'just right' to have a few extra ponies up front.

About the only direct comparison I have is two otherwise identical Glasair Sportsmen 2+2, one with io360 10:1 pistons, another with stock io390. The later one just had more oomph. Torquey in the right places, shorter TO, better climb
Interesting. Given the massive weight penalty of the 390 I've always said if I was buying a new 4 cylinder itd be a lycon jug parallel 360 with high compression since those make more power than the 390 and weight 60lbs less and cost 1/4 as much.

Interesting. Given the massive weight penalty of the 390 I've always said if I was buying a new 4 cylinder itd be a lycon jug parallel 360 with high compression since those make more power than the 390 and weight 60lbs less and cost 1/4 as much.
Friends had pretty good results with the long piston travel 360s aka io375. Can't confirm or deny, kinda goes against my beliefs of how things should be, but heard good reviews.

Love 177s, but they have quirks....

The shimmy damper is unlike the unit on any other Cessnas. It's extremely easy to destroy by overfilling it. It heats up, goes blooie, and you've showered some neighborhood with parts made from unobtainium.

Carry thru spars are a real trouble spot. They need to be examined for corrosion from the stupid duct they ran through the area.

If I had unlimited money, I'd get a nice 177RG, do the IO-390 STC with the Tornado Alley TN conversion. That'd be a sexy beast.

Love 177s, but they have quirks....

The shimmy damper is unlike the unit on any other Cessnas. It's extremely easy to destroy by overfilling it. It heats up, goes blooie, and you've showered some neighborhood with parts made from unobtainium.

Carry thru spars are a real trouble spot. They need to be examined for corrosion from the stupid duct they ran through the area.

If I had unlimited money, I'd get a nice 177RG, do the IO-390 STC with the Tornado Alley TN conversion. That'd be a sexy beast.

Minus the Tornado Alley TN conversion part, I juuuuust missed out on the RG with 390 option. The plane in question ended up going to the buyer after all as his insurance wrote off his airplane (hit by a truck). It had a timed out engine, was priced accordingly, and the IO-390 was likely our plan.

Oh well, next time. A group of four of us checking the listings daily...

Minus the Tornado Alley TN conversion part, I juuuuust missed out on the RG with 390 option. The plane in question ended up going to the buyer after all as his insurance wrote off his airplane (hit by a truck). It had a timed out engine, was priced accordingly, and the IO-390 was likely our plan.

Oh well, next time. A group of four of us checking the listings daily...
For the money you'd have into that you can just go get a 210. Pull the power back and match the fuel burn.

If you have unlimited money you don't buy a piston airplane.

Funny, I see a bunch flying in a circle over Reno every year that look quite expensive.

I also see a lot of people pour a TON of money into old cars when new cars are measurably better in every way. That doesn't seem to stop them.

Funny, I see a bunch flying in a circle over Reno every year that look quite expensive.

I also see a lot of people pour a TON of money into old cars when new cars are measurably better in every way. That doesn't seem to stop them.
Ok, I can rephrase. If you're looking at C-177s mission profile, but have unlimited money, you buy turbine.

For the money you'd have into that you can just go get a 210. Pull the power back and match the fuel burn.

Not at all; for the money, we would not at all be able to have a 210 with a new engine for anywhere near the same cost as a late model 177 with a new engine. Probably about a $30-50K difference.

Oh right, I forgot about the awe, glory and mystique of the Cessna 177 Cardinal.

This isn't the case, either.

I have a 1/4th vote in things seeing as it's an equity share that the group is going for. So if my dream is a M20K but the group has settled on 177RG for various reasons, so be it, I knew that going into it and they're similar in what they do and there are pros and cons to each.

Fortunately the four of us have removed the apparent awe, glory, and mystique from the equation and that's why we've passed on two airplanes so far, including one we did a pre-buy on.

Back