76 C177 RG

Pponk never got the carburetor right. Constant carb problems, starting, not flowing enough fuel at climb/cruise causing cylinder problems...
Well that's no beuno. I've always thought of their low compression to be a good thing. I know Texas Skyways is a very popular alternative to the 520/550's.

I'm running a 470J, and for what I'm doing I don't need the extra HP. Heck, I'm already running a really light airframe. And it's only getting lighter.

I figured I'd start a thread of my own in a few weeks, but here's a preview:

IMG_4740.JPG

Well that's no beuno. I've always thought of their low compression to be a good thing. I know Texas Skyways is a very popular alternative to the 520/550's.

I'm running a 470J, and for what I'm doing I don't need the extra HP. Heck, I'm already running a really light airframe. And it's only getting lighter.

I figured I'd start a thread of my own in a few weeks, but here's a preview:

View attachment 45876
Ugh I’m so jelly. I want a project so bad right now. Getting paid to sit on my ass is all well and good but right now I just want to tear an airplane apart and put it back together.

I'm trying to sell the Stinson. Once I do, I'm going to order a T-51D kit. The wife is onboard, but I have to sell the Stinson and finish school, which will be a few more months yet.
I to sit on my ass a lot. It's great!

Pponk never got the carburetor right. Constant carb problems, starting, not flowing enough fuel at climb/cruise causing cylinder problems...
I haven't flown our "beach buggy" later turned katmai 182 long enough to see if there are lasting issues, but to the best of my knowledge 6 years later it's still making noise over Kazakhstan
The EGT was noticeably higher than before, not weird high, just somewhat higher.
Jugs were hot initially, but broke in nicely after less that 10 hrs and went to reasonable afterwards.
But again, I thought it was fun, but no long term direct data.

@Nark I thing with your engine you'll also need a different crank, so that might drive the price up some

I'm not sold on the PPonk or a Skyways. I'd lose the MoGas STC, plus as I said, I don't need the power. I haul my wife and my ego, and thats about it.

I'd probably just keep the 470. Once I've figured it out, its been bullet proof. It doesn't like the cold (anything less than 15C). So I bought her a Tanis system. She's loving it. (she spent many years in Louisville and Fairbanks as a working girl)

Last week I pulled it out of the hangar after 15 minutes of heating the cabin with a space heater, she fired right up. It was about -5C.

Nooooo. Pponk 520s suuuuuck
Pponk never got the carburetor right. Constant carb problems, starting, not flowing enough fuel at climb/cruise causing cylinder problems..
I've got almost 900 hours flying skydivers behind Pponks, and haven't had a problem. Granted, the carburetors have been modified for more fuel, the cowl flaps have been modified for more cooling, and we monitor temps closely, but I can climb at 85 to 90 at gross weight without overheating on all but the hottest days in southern Wisconsin. We're actually leaning above 5000 feet. The operator I fly for typically flies them about 2400 hours before overall, and plans on changing one or two cylinders in that time frame. You've apparently had a different experience than I have, but I can't say anything bad about a Pponk.

I've got almost 900 hours flying skydivers behind Pponks, and haven't had a problem. Granted, the carburetors have been modified for more fuel, the cowl flaps have been modified for more cooling, and we monitor temps closely, but I can climb at 85 to 90 at gross weight without overheating on all but the hottest days in southern Wisconsin. We're actually leaning above 5000 feet. The operator I fly for typically flies them about 2400 hours before overall, and plans on changing one or two cylinders in that time frame. You've apparently had a different experience than I have, but I can't say anything bad about a Pponk.
It’s been a few years since I messed with one, but both my operation and the other one on the field that had a Pponk 520 had constant carb problems. Maybe we had lemons, or maybe they’ve ironed things out a little since. Also had a bad experience with a Pponk overhauled (but stock) 550. Again that one was old (running up on its 12 year TBO in fact) but it was not a good experience.

TBH, I prefer Matt's myself. I just go to the 5-8 just to keep you happy. ;)

I'm not sure if I should show my face in the 5-8 anyways. The waitress was a real B to us, so I refused to tip her.

Cleared direct to my broken heart...

Back