709 Ride due to DPE Edward L. Lane investigation??

Serling

Hello all,

I unexpectedly received a certified letter from the Las Vegas FSDO yesterday basically requiring that I set up a 709 ride within 15 days, and that I must take the ride within 30.

Is anyone in the same predicament as myself? Has anyone faced a situation like this before? What should I do? Unfortunately due to more imperative issues getting in the way I haven't flown in a couple of years and have zero time for a checkride at the moment. Does the FSDO grant any extensions or am I at risk for losing my license?

Article I found online:

http://www.ainonline.com/comment/2221

FAA Notice:

http://www.rotor.com/rotornews/July12/N8900.194.pdf

Any advice would be appreciated.

Interesting. I wonder if the FAA would go easy on you bc of the circumstances or if they really expect you to perform every maneuver to PTS, since it apparently has been a few years since you've flown an aircraft.

Wow! This is crazy. Can you give me any detail about what this Edward L. Lane guy did to piss of the FAA? Were his past students piling up in wrekage? This is really bizarre :confused2:

Dude that sucks. It takes a lot of prep to pass a checkride. If it was several years ago it could be a lot of work to get ready again.

Hello all,

I unexpectedly received a certified letter from the Las Vegas FSDO yesterday basically requiring that I set up a 709 ride within 15 days, and that I must take the ride within 30.

Is anyone in the same predicament as myself? Has anyone faced a situation like this before? What should I do? Unfortunately due to more imperative issues getting in the way I haven't flown in a couple of years and have zero time for a checkride at the moment. Does the FSDO grant any extensions or am I at risk for losing my license?

Article I found online:

http://www.ainonline.com/comment/2221

FAA Notice:

http://www.rotor.com/rotornews/July12/N8900.194.pdf

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wow that's crazy! How long ago did you do a checkride with Edward Lane, because I did one with him too some years back? Wonder if I will get a letter requiring a 709 ride as well.

Honestly, as much as it pains me to say it, I'd lawyer up.

For sure! If you read in the comments on one of the above links one guy claims that AOPA has stated that "800" pilots have been sent this notice! If thats true before its all said and done Eddie and Sheble may be in a big class action over all this. In saying this I still think Sheble is a good place to go to finish up a rating. Actually now they may be under some serious supervision by the FAA so everything is by the book!.

Wow that's crazy! How long ago did you do a checkride with Edward Lane, because I did one with him too some years back? Wonder if I will get a letter requiring a 709 ride as well.

Was it in this time frame?

The notice evolved from an investigation that found “reason to believe that the competency of the airmen examined by DPE Lane from the period of September 2009 to October 2011 … is in doubt.”

Taken from the document;

Purpose of the Reexamination.
As a result of a Special Emphasis Evaluation Designee (SEED), and subsequent investigation by the FAA of the certification activities of DPE Edward L. Lane, the Administrator has determined that there is reason to believe that the competency of the airmen examined by DPE Lane from the period of September 2009 to October 2011 (fiscal year (FY) 2010 and FY 2011) is in doubt.

Was it in this time frame?

The notice evolved from an investigation that found “reason to believe that the competency of the airmen examined by DPE Lane from the period of September 2009 to October 2011 … is in doubt.”

Thankfully not in time frame. Did checkride in December 2007. Thanks.

That Notice said several times that if you got another rating with someone else after and you passed you wouldn't need to get re-examined... hopefully thats the case for you?

Hello all,

I'm going to agree with those who say that you should speak with an aviation lawyer. It's not that the attorney is going to scare anyone; it's more that he or she is going to walk you through what you can and cannot do. Better yet is to get someone in that FSDO district who is likely to know what is going on, who to speak to and how much wiggle room you have. I can see two ways for the FDSO to be looking at this: pilot as victim of a bad examiner or pilot as accomplice of a bad examiner. That's where an attorney with local knowledge is going to be worth his weight in gold.

If your'e an AOPA member with the Legal Services Plan, great. If not, if you;re an AOPA member, you still have access to the list - http://www.aopa.org/members/databases/lsp/lspplan.cfm. Personal recommendations are best, but in its absence calling 2-3 people on that list is a good place to start. (I took a quick look at the list; I don't know any of them personally so I can't make a recommendation).

Generally, there's not much you can do about avoiding a 709 ride without losing your certificates. Given the right circumstances a deferral can usually be worked out. And you also don't want to take a 709 ride if you're not sharp, so you are going to want to get some instruction to bring you up to snuff.

I read a bit about this when I saw people talking about "Fast Eddie" and I believe if you had done any checkrides after you are ok, so if you did a commercial or multi add on etc. I would search for other topics on him so you can find out what other people have done.

Back