709 Ride due to DPE Edward L. Lane investigation??

I think he was the guy at Sheble's. There are multiple topics on the Internet about him.
wikipedian_protester.png

;)

I read a bit about this when I saw people talking about "Fast Eddie" and I believe if you had done any checkrides after you are ok,
That's what the notice the FAA issued says (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=F50406D22D1C2B6E86257A44004E86B2):

==============================
If it is subsequently determined that an airman has been tested for an additional pilot certificate or rating with satisfactory results after the last test administered by DPE Lane, the reexamination letter will be rescinded

==============================

Lawyer up ASAP and let the lawyer handle it. Speaking to the FSDO directly may back you into a corner. Have you passed any checkrides since his?

I wouldn't talk to ANYONE in the FAA/FSDO until you lawyer up. Let the lawyer do the talking, otherwise you could end up hurting yourself. Also make sure you get one who is an expert in aviation law. This is for your own protection, and the protection of your certificates. I don't mean this in a mean way, but if you haven't flown in years, there's no way you'll pass a checkride. LAWYER UP!

Why keep it a secret?

Because there are some things that just should not be discussed on a computer posting board. Things like 709 rides that could affect someone's career.

While we are on the subject, I need to point out that, at this time, the FAA is conducting an investigation. No one has been charged with anything.

They have not revoked any pilot certificates including the DPE examiner's pilot certificates and his CFI and CFII.

They have disqualified the DPE from doing any further checkrides, at this time, which is all the FAA can do until they complete their investigation.

However with that being said, if you have one of these letters, it is a very serious issue and it must be dealt with or the FAA will revoke the certificate that was issued by this particular DPE.

My feeling is that most of the folks that receive this letter will be able to comply with the requirements and maintain their certificate and their ratings.

Joe

Were people paying him to pass checkrides or something? That's what I seem to be gathering. Either way, the really, really, really sucks. Fight it, however you can.

Were people paying him to pass checkrides or something? That's what I seem to be gathering. Either way, the really, really, really sucks. Fight it, however you can.

Chasen, we have no evidence that this was going on and it's very likely the FAA would have already grabbed the DPE's pilot certificates if it were going on and filed some pretty serious criminal charges. The FAA does seem highly upset with this particular DPE and you would figure that they would have grabbed him if they already have the goods on him.

From the pilots that I spoken with, I have not heard any of those pilots not having a full legitimate checkride with this DPE. If you look at those videos on youtube with this DPE, he appears to be a knowledgeable and safe pilot.

Something more likely ****MIGHT***** be a serious incident that ***MIGHT**** have happened to more than one pilot that took a checkride, during the time the FAA is interested in, with this DPE.

This could involve foreign pilots since it is more likely that a foreign pilot would have been hired during the period of time in question when they returned to their homeland. US pilots probably would have not been hired yet.

India and China come to mind here, but the FAA has not announced anything. India has 250 hour pilots flying right seat in an Airbus. China has been in the news with their pencil whipping pilots recently.

Unfortunately a lot of good folks are caught up in this web.

Joe

I don't really get why you would need to "fight" this type of 709 ride.

The pilots who are being reexamined are not generally on the FAA's radar, the DPE is. If you can fly roughly to PTS, which you have to do for any rental checkout, then you will be fine. Call the FSDO and ask them what the deal is, schedule your ride, and get it over with. A 30 minute conversation with a lawyer will cost you as much as an hour in the airplane with a CFI.

The pilots who are being reexamined are not generally on the FAA's radar, the DPE is. If you can fly roughly to PTS, which you have to do for any rental checkout, then you will be fine. Call the FSDO and ask them what the deal is, schedule your ride, and get it over with. A 30 minute conversation with a lawyer will cost you as much as an hour in the airplane with a CFI.

There is no way to fight it. However just taking the "ride" with the FAA may not be suitable for some pilots.

Here are some examples of pilots that may not be ready for an FAA 709 checkride:

1. Those that are not current.
2. Those that have expired medicals.
3. Those that have not flown in the past 6 months.
4. If your last checkride was a multi and you haven't flown a multi engine aircraft since the checkride.

The FAA is requiring that you furnish a suitable aircraft for the checkride. If you don't own an aircraft, that will involve getting an aircraft and that will involve some work in that aircraft. All of this costs money and if you haven't been working, the several thousand dollar pricetag to make all this happen might be prohibitive.

However if you are current, have at least 100 hours in the past 6 months, then I do agree that you can do the 709 ride without much of a problem.

Joe

I'm not recommending any course of action to anyone, but understand that the FAA's response to a refusal to take a 709 ride is usually (always?) emergency enforcement proceedings to revoke certificates and ratings.
I have absolutely zero experience in this matter, but if I were the Administrator that's pretty much what I would do too. No re-examination? Fine. The public safety in air commerce requires your certificates be suspended or revoked.

The pilots who are being reexamined are not generally on the FAA's radar, the DPE is.
It depends on the reason the DPE is on the FAA's radar. If, for example, it's because of suspicions that DPEs weren't giving real checkrides, the FAA may believe the pilots were collusive.

There's an NTSB case where an FAA Inspector gave a checkride although the Inspector didn't have checkride authority. The pilot fought the denial of his application. The opinion doesn't actually say it anywhere but you sort of get the impression between the lines the FAA felt there was something fishy involving the pilot. And if not, it at least involves the principle that improper conduct by an FAA representative with respect to examinations can be visited on the pilot. http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/o_n_o/docs/AVIATION/5164.PDF

Back