709 Ride due to DPE Edward L. Lane investigation??

Some things to consider about this issue from the FAA standpoint:

1. National notices like this aren't issued very often or without a lot of evaluation of the situation. It takes a lot of man power to make this happen, not only at the FSDO where the DPE did his work, but nationwide. Remember, you can take this 709 ride at any FSDO. So if you're in Maine and you got this letter, you can go to the nearest FSDO and they've got to do the test for you. That takes an inspector out of the office for half a day or more to do the reexamination for an issue his office had nothing to do with. That takes him away from dealing with his own work, with his operators.

For specific information on 709 reexaminations, go to fsims.faa.gov. Click on "8900.1 Contents" >> "Volume 5" >> "Chapter 7. Reexamination of an Airman". As a side note, if you ever wonder how the FAA does their job, FSIMS is where to find out.

2. In very general terms, this DPE was not doing his job according to the guidance. Everybody in this business is being watched. DPEs watch applicants. POIs watch DPEs. Supervisors and Office Manages watch POIs. Regional and National offices watch FSDOs. When an inspector does surveillance on a DPE (or any other kind of surveillance), the results of that activity go into a national database that any inspector in the country can look at. The folks in Oklahoma City who oversee the Designee program look at those reports and if they see a trend that shows non-compliance, they'll act on it. That's what happened here.

3. If you got one of those letters, or any letter at any time requesting a reexamination, you've got three options:

(1) Take the re-exam. The letter will be very specific as to what PTS and what areas of the PTS you'll be tested on. If you can't take the re-exam in a "reasonable" period of time, put your certificate on temporary deposit with the FSDO (this is not surrendering your certificate). They'll issue you a temporary certificate limited to student pilot privileges. When you're ready, take the test.
(2) Voluntarily surrender your certificate for cancellation.
(3) If you ignore the letter, your certificate will be suspended pending compliance. When (and if) you're ready to get your certificate back, you take the test.

In most instances, you can't just voluntarily downgrade. For example, if you bend metal while landing and you hold a commercial certificate, you can't downgrade to private because you'll still have to land as a private pilot. However, if you take the 709 test and can't meet the commercial pilot PTS standards, but you can meet the private pilot PTS standards, at that point you can downgrade. Generally, you'll get two or three attempts to pass the test. If you still can't meet the standard, typically we'll ask you to do a voluntary surrender. If that doesn't work, we'll start the process to revoke the certificate.

The vast majority of FAA inspectors out there don't want to suspend or revoke a certificate. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. The vast majority of inspectors will work with you to the extent that they can if you're in this situation. We are pilots too and know how much work (and money) it takes to get your certificate.

Some things to consider about this issue from the FAA standpoint:

The vast majority of FAA inspectors out there don't want to suspend or revoke a certificate. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. The vast majority of inspectors will work with you to the extent that they can if you're in this situation. We are pilots too and know how much work (and money) it takes to get your certificate.

Very true, but there is always the 2% that think there job is to take certs. The same goes for AME's. Most try to help, but a handful don't know their job or see it their duty to deny as many medicals as they can.

ShebleFeed.JPG

It would be a long time coming, they have a horrid reputation with the FAA. But I still can't find anything on it.

How much power does the FAA even have when it comes to shutting down a part 61 school anyway? I realize they can go after the planes and induvidual instructors, but the school?

Ok guys... here is what I found...
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...-30/faa-requires-certain-pilot-reexaminations
If you look at the comments section, and you scroll to the veeery last comment, one person says:
"
SHEBLE'S AVIATION SHUT DOWN !!!
Actually I have just received word that the FAA has SHUT DOWN SHEBLES! I heard that they pulled JO JO's DPE license!! So hopefully this is a good sign for some of this B.S. getting resolved!!"

The comment was posted on 29 Nov at 3:28PM.

I don't know if the school was actually shut down, but rather they don't have access to anymore to the same DPEs, which were an integral part to their business plan.

That is the only thing I can find, and apparently that is what pops up on google if you type "AIN Sheble Shut Down"

Anyone have an idea as to whether or not pounding out an ASES ride over a weekend would count as having been evaluated, for the purposes of avoiding the ride? Interesting thought...

Anyone have an idea as to whether or not pounding out an ASES ride over a weekend would count as having been evaluated, for the purposes of avoiding the ride? Interesting thought...

Well I do know they have been doing the SES rides over the weekends at Sheble so folks can avoid the 709 rides. I do have a little inside info to situation out there and its not looking to hot for any of the gang out there! All I'll say is the FAA is out to make an "example" out Sheble whether they are guilty of anything or not.

jojo's dad will be the one doing the check rides.. i heard jojo was "too hard" on the kid during the exam. such a BS call by faa, its either too hard or not hard enough. FAA is a joke

Back