$50 for an oil filter?

Before Covid: Aircraft Spruce had an annual sale (you had to be there), for every case of oil you’d get a free oil filter. I’d always get 4 or 5 cases. When AeroShell went from 12 quarts to 6 quart cases we just got more filters. I'm almost out of free filters.

Many vendors set up booths that covered the front parking lot.

They also had a raffle for Young Eagles. I'd always buy $100 or more worth of tickets and never win less than $1,000 worth of items. The last one I won a Lightspeed Zulu headset, a Garmin G5, a handheld radio, a Concord battery, Whelen LED NAV/Strobe lights, among a bunch of other item. For 15+ years I never missed it. I wish they have it again.

1691979642052.png

Lately I've been finding that Spruce isn't as good as they used to be with competitive pricing or shipping costs. It pays to shop around a little, for example the Tempest equivalent is available from Chief Aircraft for $32.

Same for cases of oil. Find out who your local petroleum supplier is and usually can get it over the counter for the same price or at least less shipping.

Yup, that’s life now days. Same feeling when I look at a house that sold for $700 in 2019 and is now back on the market for $1.9 in 2023. F the market and I hope flippers die a slow painful death.
Where's that at? That's some crazy appreciation. I've got a place I paid 640 for in 2014 and Zillow says 2.2 now but my realtor laughs at that. He's thinking more like 1.5. I thought that was good but 1.2 in 4 years? Never heard of that.

Where's that at? That's some crazy appreciation. I've got a place I paid 640 for in 2014 and Zillow says 2.2 now but my realtor laughs at that. He's thinking more like 1.5. I thought that was good but 1.2 in 4 years? Never heard of that.

South Bay and LA in general has been like that. Things that were 750-900k in 2019 are now 1.5 to 1.9m now.

The first house I lost a bid on was last sold for 800k in 2015 and sold at 1.545m now. 8 yrs, doubled money.

Lately I've been finding that Spruce isn't as good as they used to be with competitive pricing or shipping costs. It pays to shop around a little, for example the Tempest equivalent is available from Chief Aircraft for $32.

Same for cases of oil. Find out who your local petroleum supplier is and usually can get it over the counter for the same price or at least less shipping.

Thanks - I already get boat gas delivered by tanker truck. X/C 20w50 isn't exactly cheap to ship, will see if they have it locally.

Phoenix is a great example of this. I constantly see homes listed for 2x or more than they sold for in 2019-2020.

Switch to Tempest filters. They are better and cheaper.

Yep - these are what I use.

@drunkenbeagle - when I was leaving the flight school almost a year ago, they were switching the fleet to a permanent oil filter that had been getting some really great reviews. I'll try and find out what brand it was, but it basically paid for itself in 3 oil changes.

Yep - these are what I use.

@drunkenbeagle - when I was leaving the flight school almost a year ago, they were switching the fleet to a permanent oil filter that had been getting some really great reviews. I'll try and find out what brand it was, but it basically paid for itself in 3 oil changes.

Like these? -- Challenger FAA-PMA Lifetime Oil Filter System | Aircraft Spruce

I don't think we'll go through enough oil changes owning this airplane to break even. And I just bought an oil filter cutter, I'll wait at least until I break that.

Back