2014 Fitness Goals

You're 50 and trying to do sub 5:00 mile? Trying to get a world record or something? Holy cow.
Thanks...no. I officiate Club Soccer and like to be able to keep up with 18 YO's...at least for 50 yards.

I put the sub-5 on hold in favor of March Madness: 5 miles a day, every day in March.

My body is glad there are only 3 days left.

It probably depends a little on frame, but I think that is about where you want to be at that height if you are fit. I am also 6'4" and a pretty fit 201lbs shooting for under 195 for riding this season. I am by no means a stick.
grace-and-strength-lifestyle-body-mass-index-chart-bmi.jpg

Less junk food and less candy out of there candy drawer at work. Keep soda at once a week, maybe even once every other week. Ride the bike to work in every month of the year except January (got started too late for that). Don't blow out my back loading airplanes.

I've been trying to get a grip on the BMI thing. Professional opinion seems to revolve around your actual body fat percentage, which isn't always aligned with BMI. The green BMI boxes look like what is considered to be normal, healthy body fat percentages. However, the weight and height combo won't necessarily result in that actual body fat percentage. I'm 5'7", 140 and my BMI should be 22, according to the chart. I had to go to a sports therapist and they measured me at 9%, which is much lower than the chart says I should be. People who are very active should be very careful and monitor their actual health, periodically, IMO.

Standard BMI charts are out of whack for tall people and athletes (it is a 200 year old formula based on the general population). That chart puts me at 24 (6'4" and 200lbs); just below overweight. I have 7-8% body fat and most people tell me I look too thin! I brought up losing 5lbs to get to 195 with my doctor and he is advising me against it based on my current composition, which is already pretty lean.

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/fitness-beyond-bmi-to-assess-student-athletes-011614

I've been trying to get a grip on the BMI thing.

I don't know the formal term for it, but there is a test where you submerge in water and then the amount of water displaced is bounced against your weight. Unfortunately, that test doesn't seem to be widely available. However, I got a pretty good demonstration of it during water survival school. I don't know who would survive the longest in an actual emergency, but I could easily see that the chubby folks floated a lot better than the people who were in shape.

I don't know the formal term for it, but there is a test where you submerge in water and then the amount of water displaced is bounced against your weight. Unfortunately, that test doesn't seem to be widely available. However, I got a pretty good demonstration of it during water survival school. I don't know who would survive the longest in an actual emergency, but I could easily see that the chubby folks floated a lot better than the people who were in shape.

LOL that would be the Hydrostatic test. That's considered to be very accurate. A good place to go would be a university with a medical college.

I hate BMI, its a poor measurement of overall health, its just the easiest measurement to use. Having said that I just got to a BMI under 30 (29.4) and pretty excited about it. should be below 200 by the end of the month.

Back