Basic's Class Info That I Can Share

mugenfan_98

I just thought I would take some time to fill some of you folks in on what to expect when you start your basics classes. These classes are universal for enroute and terminal people.

When your welcome letter says come at least 30 minutes early they aren't lying. The front gate gets backed up to the street and you need time to hit up the front security office and get parking passes (if you drove or plan to drive) and temp badges. Expect your first day to be nothing but presentations from everything about EOE, racism, inappropriate behavior, FAA based Credit union. Basically a lot of "them talking, you listening". You get sworn in as Federal employees, which, despite the negative stigma, was a very proud moment for myself. You also learn that day that you will not get your first per diem check until up to 2 weeks later on top of having to wait until day fifteen to turn in said per diem paperwork.

On your second day, DONT BE LATE. The gate will still be backed up and if you get stuck out front, TS. I highly recommend taking the bus even if you drove for two reasons: It saves on gas and If it's late so are 12 or so other people so it's not your fault. Kind of a nice insurance policy.

As far as actual class schedules, expect a break (10-15 min) every hour, as well as a forty minute lunch. There is a small cafeteria in the basics building called "Ted's". It has cheese burgers, hot dogs, nachos, salads, etc, etc. Cash only in this one. There is a larger cafeteria across from the basics building in the HQ building. More choices and more busy. They take debit cards and credit cards.

The curriculum is chunked down very well. You learn in lessons (ATB 1, ATB 2 and so on and so forth). At the end of each lesson you take a test between 8 and 20 questions long. It does not count for or against you. It is simply a review. You get to keep the answers as well as your scan-tron sheets with your score and any possible corrections you needed. At the end of a few lessons you take a block test on all the lessons. You have to get a 90%. If you don't get a 90 you take it over. If you don't get it after a few times it gets filed away. After it's all said and done you will take a 100 question final. You must get a 70% to move on.

Things I would reccomend purchasing/bringing include a lanyard (for your badge) and a binder with at least one folder. We did not get a copy of our books instead we got a cd with everything in pdf form. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING ACTUAL TEST CONTENT.

Thanks for the tips Mugen... also I second gimpfest's question. How do the various apartments compare? Are any places located in really ghetto areas that should be stayed away from? I'm currently eyeing Citadel Suites and Walnut Gardens/Apple Tree/Spanish Gardens. Which do you like the most overall?

TIA!

I just thought I would take some time to fill some of you folks in on what to expect when you start your basics classes. These classes are universal for enroute and terminal people.

When your welcome letter says come at least 30 minutes early they aren't lying. The front gate gets backed up to the street and you need time to hit up the front security office and get parking passes (if you drove or plan to drive) and temp badges. Expect your first day to be nothing but presentations from everything about EOE, racism, inappropriate behavior, FAA based Credit union. Basically a lot of "them talking, you listening". You get sworn in as Federal employees, which, despite the negative stigma, was a very proud moment for myself. You also learn that day that you will not get your first per diem check until up to 2 weeks later on top of having to wait until day fifteen to turn in said per diem paperwork.

On your second day, DONT BE LATE. The gate will still be backed up and if you get stuck out front, TS. I highly recommend taking the bus even if you drove for two reasons: It saves on gas and If it's late so are 12 or so other people so it's not your fault. Kind of a nice insurance policy.

As far as actual class schedules, expect a break (10-15 min) every hour, as well as a forty minute lunch. There is a small cafeteria in the basics building called "Ted's". It has cheese burgers, hot dogs, nachos, salads, etc, etc. Cash only in this one. There is a larger cafeteria across from the basics building in the HQ building. More choices and more busy. They take debit cards and credit cards.

The curriculum is chunked down very well. You learn in lessons (ATB 1, ATB 2 and so on and so forth). At the end of each lesson you take a test between 8 and 20 questions long. It does not count for or against you. It is simply a review. You get to keep the answers as well as your scan-tron sheets with your score and any possible corrections you needed. At the end of a few lessons you take a block test on all the lessons. You have to get a 90%. If you don't get a 90 you take it over. If you don't get it after a few times it gets filed away. After it's all said and done you will take a 100 question final. You must get a 70% to move on.

Things I would reccomend purchasing/bringing include a lanyard (for your badge) and a binder with at least one folder. We did not get a copy of our books instead we got a cd with everything in pdf form. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING ACTUAL TEST CONTENT.

Wow thanks for that!!!!! Best of luck to you and thanks for not forgetting us back here on JTC.

Thanks so much for posting that, mugenfan :)

Try to keep us updated as much as you can... most of you who have already made it to OKC end up leaving us :(

Hey Mugen, thanks for the info!

Where did you end up staying? Any feedback on places to live?

I am staying at apple tree. The staff here is really nice and very accommodating. They don't need anything up front. They just ask that you come in every 2-3 weeks and make a payment. I have a 1 bedroom and it costs me 39.50 per day. It's relatively nice consider what you pay for.

Other places I have heard of: I heard the places at The Fairways at Moore were really nice if you want to go golfing as it is included in your payment. It is newer than some of the other FAA housing. I heard also that the mansions west (I think thats what they are called) are really nice and pretty big when compared to someone that was staying a walnut gardens.

I am thinking of wiring up my apartment with cams so you guys can just ask me random questions and follow me around all the time when I am there :crazy: sorry no bathoom cam though ya weirdos

We did not get a copy of our books instead we got a cd with everything in pdf form.

If you feel like wasting some money, you can order a copy here:
https://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/st...catalogId=10001&courseId_1=18012610&demoKey=s

I didn't have a choice in CTI. Untill half way through the course when I already paid for it, I was able to download the cd for free and put it on my laptop. Which is much easier to carry around then the 4" binder.

mugenfan, how does it work now with out hard copies as far as the "activities" and ELT? Do they still hand those copies out still?

If you feel like wasting some money, you can order a copy here:
https://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/st...catalogId=10001&courseId_1=18012610&demoKey=s

I didn't have a choice in CTI. Untill half way through the course when I already paid for it, I was able to download the cd for free and put it on my laptop. Which is much easier to carry around then the 4" binder.

mugenfan, how does it work now with out hard copies as far as the "activities" and ELT? Do they still hand those copies out still?

There is a copy in the classroom for everyone but you are required to share with the other classes. At the beginning of class you walk over to the shelf and grab your number book and then put it back at the end of the day. There are a number of checkout books available to be checked out over night.

Back