Basic's Class Info That I Can Share

So they require you to miss answers?

:dodgy:

fouad.png

Haha, sorry it was just the wording of the sentence that made me laugh.

(shortly after turning in exam)
Instructor: Ahem, excuse me but you need to change three of your answers.
You: Umm, why? Did I get them wrong?
Instructor: No, you answered every question correctly.
You: Uh, ok?
Instructor: You are required to miss three questions were you not paying attention?
You: No, I was but I thought you meant I could only miss three questions. It just seems silly to have to miss three questions is all.
Instructor: Are you calling the FAA "silly?"
You: Ummm...
Instructor: Just change your answers!

Just one thing I would offer as someone that has finished training and is in the field:

PRACTICE YOUR PHRASEOLOGY!

When you get to the second class, you are going to need to speak so fast that you can't think about how to say something, you just have to be able to do it.

Haha, sorry it was just the wording of the sentence that made me laugh.

(shortly after turning in exam)
Instructor: Ahem, excuse me but you need to change three of your answers.
You: Umm, why? Did I get them wrong?
Instructor: No, you answered every question correctly.
You: Uh, ok?
Instructor: You are required to miss three questions were you not paying attention?
You: No, I was but I thought you meant I could only miss three questions. It just seems silly to have to miss three questions is all.
Instructor: Are you calling the FAA "silly?"
You: Ummm...
Instructor: Just change your answers!

Yeah that is pretty funny.

I'm taking the basics class final tomorrow. Not sweating it at all.

R10- What ideas to have to practice phraseology? I tried listening to liveatc but I can't really make out the words on my laptop speakers, and reading the same hand-out over and over is more memorization then learning.

Hey Josh, here I am wasting time before starting to study for the final tomorrow and I find your posts lol Let's give them hell tomorrow.

R10 - I would also like to know what ideas you have to learn phraseology? I have tried liveatc just like Mugen and atcmonitor. Any hints?

I'm not sure I would listen to liveatc for phraseology lessons. The academy will get on your ass for saying "position and hold rwy 28R" instead of "rwy 28r position and hold". From listening to JFK tower for a while, their phraseology is definately not ""academy phraseology". I still think liveatc.net is a great website to check out and listen to; just realize some of the phrasology is a bit different at the academy.

one thing to think about when listening to liveatc is that you can pick up bad habbits.

Thanks everyone for your posts and updates on the academy!! I had a few questions for you...
1) What do we need to bring to class? (I heard a binder and one folder, etc...but any other thoughts...)
2) Do they allow you to bring your laptop into the facility?

Thanks guys!

Thanks everyone for your posts and updates on the academy!! I had a few questions for you...
1) What do we need to bring to class? (I heard a binder and one folder, etc...but any other thoughts...)

Thanks guys!

1)you dont need to bring anything, though it wouldnt hurt if you wanted to bring a notepad and pen.

2) your laptop is NOT allowed

Thanks guys!

After the first day I bought a binder, a notebook, and one folder. They do provide you with a pen and pencil on your first day. Also they supplied us with legal pads too.

No Laptops.

Just thought I would share with you guys a little info on what just happened to my class (which includes ZAB Bound) this week......

Tuesday we came in and took our basics final. We had 2 1/2 hours, of which I used about 30 minutes. We came back at our assigned time and they had the tests graded for us and ready to go. The test results were handed back and I recieved a 94%. Everyone passed and good times were had by all.

Unfortunately those good times came to a blood-covered-brake-grinding halt. After much jubilation a couple guys came into inform us of our schedule set up for the next phase. First off we were informed that we would be on nights for the first 3 weeks after the remainder of this week. Usually, I would be thrilled as I wanted a change of pace. However we were told less than FIVE DAYS EARLIER that we would be on days. Because of this I told my wife next weekend would be a great time to come down and bring my son who I haven't seen since August 18th. Nights would make that trip useless because she would arrive (driving) less than one hour before class and I would be forced to leave. The solution: convinced her boss to let her come down this weekend while we are still on days.

But wait, there's more. No really. After the initial shock of the sudden change I continued to flip through the schedule while they were talking about what classroom and all that stuff. Arriving at the last page I noticed that we had things schedule two weeks beyond the scheduled end of class date found not only on my F.O.L. but also on my perdiem paper work. Surely, this had to be a mistake. No it wasn't. Now this wouldn't bother me all that much except for my aformentioned son and the fact that this bumped up our leave date from December the 19th to DECEMBER 30TH. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that means no Christmas at home. All because they have too many people and not enough intstructors/class space.

The morale of the story; it ain't official until the day it officially starts.

After the first day I bought a binder, a notebook, and one folder. They do provide you with a pen and pencil on your first day. Also they supplied us with legal pads too.

No Laptops.

Just thought I would share with you guys a little info on what just happened to my class (which includes ZAB Bound) this week......

Tuesday we came in and took our basics final. We had 2 1/2 hours, of which I used about 30 minutes. We came back at our assigned time and they had the tests graded for us and ready to go. The test results were handed back and I recieved a 94%. Everyone passed and good times were had by all.

Unfortunately those good times came to a blood-covered-brake-grinding halt. After much jubilation a couple guys came into inform us of our schedule set up for the next phase. First off we were informed that we would be on nights for the first 3 weeks after the remainder of this week. Usually, I would be thrilled as I wanted a change of pace. However we were told less than FIVE DAYS EARLIER that we would be on days. Because of this I told my wife next weekend would be a great time to come down and bring my son who I haven't seen since August 18th. Nights would make that trip useless because she would arrive (driving) less than one hour before class and I would be forced to leave. The solution: convinced her boss to let her come down this weekend while we are still on days.

But wait, there's more. No really. After the initial shock of the sudden change I continued to flip through the schedule while they were talking about what classroom and all that stuff. Arriving at the last page I noticed that we had things schedule two weeks beyond the scheduled end of class date found not only on my F.O.L. but also on my perdiem paper work. Surely, this had to be a mistake. No it wasn't. Now this wouldn't bother me all that much except for my aformentioned son and the fact that this bumped up our leave date from December the 19th to DECEMBER 30TH. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that means no Christmas at home. All because they have too many people and not enough intstructors/class space.

The morale of the story; it ain't official until the day it officially starts.

Thanks everyone for the info!! I will be sure to leave the laptop home then... sorry to hear about the "family fiasco" that you're experiencing. I was afraid something like that would happen to me...now I know to just expect it. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old back in Utah that will not be seeing their dad for Christmas. All for the "greater good" I suppose, but it still sucks!!

Luckily I learned at a young age that family (especially wives/partners & kids) REALLY get in the way of your own progression.

I say that to say this. I urge you all to utilize every measure of birth control out there simultaneously and under no circumstance get married (you can, however, propose marriage to keep the 'supply' going, just don't say "I Do").

Thank you, that is all. Carry on.

mugenfan:
Sorry to hear the bad news, but thanks for the updates. What was your schedule like for the basics portion? Were there other basics classes that had a different schedule than yours? What will your schedule be like after the first three weeks for the remainder of your time there? I'm going to be arriving Oct. 2nd - sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

So with that said, what do they tell you as far as catching a flight back home when class finally IS over. Have they said wait until a week before ? It seems like the final class date is so unsure that we'll be paying $$$$ to get the hell out of okc.

Luckily I learned at a young age that family (especially wives/partners & kids) REALLY get in the way of your own progression.

In other words, be selfish and screw starting a family...just be as self-absorbed as you can. That may work for someone who is gay and was never going to have kids anyway, but for most of us, starting a family is as high on the priority list as career progression is. They are not mutually exclusive.

I say that to say this. I urge you all to utilize every measure of birth control out there simultaneously and under no circumstance get married (you can, however, propose marriage to keep the 'supply' going, just don't say "I Do"). You're an idiot.

Thank you, that is all. Carry on.

I never said that my family was hindering my progression. If anything I have more encouragement to do the best I can. I got a little boy at home that needs his dad to bust his ass and make a living.

Jerrod:

We were on days 4 out of the 5 weeks we had basics. There were quite a few different basics going on at the same time, but I don't think any of them were lined up to the same time frame we were on. From here on out the schedule basically goes a couple weeks on days, couple weeks on nights vice-versa. It goes back and forth.

So with that said, what do they tell you as far as catching a flight back home when class finally IS over. Have they said wait until a week before ? It seems like the final class date is so unsure that we'll be paying $$$$ to get the hell out of okc.

Apparently if you booked the flight through the FAA via AmEx they will change it, no problem. As far as if you booked it your self, I'm not sure. Believe it or not, I don't fly.

Back