Basic's Class Info That I Can Share

Something new I learned this week........When you get to charts don't expect to get your own copy. We have to share those as well. One (vfr and ifr chart) per pair.

Also, the dress code is business casual. You never know when the FAA will walk in the room.

Make sure that when you first take your receipt for housing to the travel office that you pay for the proper amount of housing. The day before your report date counts as your first day. So for example.......

My report date: August 19th
FAA Perdiem starts: August 18th

15 days from the 18th was September 2nd. On the receipt those 15 days must be itemized, include the landlord name and address, and the method of payment. They tell you to expect it in two weeks. I've been told closer to 5 days.

Something new I learned this week........When you get to charts don't expect to get your own copy. We have to share those as well. One (vfr and ifr chart) per pair.

Also, the dress code is business casual. You never know when the FAA will walk in the room.

Make sure that when you first take your receipt for housing to the travel office that you pay for the proper amount of housing. The day before your report date counts as your first day. So for example.......

My report date: August 19th
FAA Perdiem starts: August 18th

15 days from the 18th was September 2nd. On the receipt those 15 days must be itemized, include the landlord name and address, and the method of payment. They tell you to expect it in two weeks. I've been told closer to 5 days.

Thanks for the tips again! I was wondering about when the per diem started... I was planning on heading out to OKC 2 days before class, but I guess it'll now just be one.

you will get it when you go through basics, but pm me an address and ill send you a copy

Got it Thanks!!! You da best!!! Started looking at it last night. Question...do they do each section in 1 day? I noticed the 1st file says 7 hours....Is there a test at the end of each section or at the end of the week before the final big one at the end of Basics? Thanks. I might marry you for giving me something useful to do with my time other than chase Hurricanes...although that is fun, it could also prevent me from going to the Academy, you know if I'm dead and all....ha ha ha :laff:

Got it Thanks!!! You da best!!! Started looking at it last night. Question...do they do each section in 1 day? I noticed the 1st file says 7 hours....Is there a test at the end of each section or at the end of the week before the final big one at the end of Basics? Thanks. I might marry you for giving me something useful to do with my time other than chase Hurricanes...although that is fun, it could also prevent me from going to the Academy, you know if I'm dead and all....ha ha ha :laff:
no problem. sorry there was no case with it. as far as the lessons go, the instructors try to teach the lessons in the allotted time (if it says 7 hours, then they will probably spend about that amount of time on it) some are shorter than that. most are about 4-6 hours long (including breaks and whatnot) and yes there is a "test" at the end of each lesson (tests are more like quizzes, the scores are not recorded) let me know when you get a class date

no problem. sorry there was no case with it. as far as the lessons go, the instructors try to teach the lessons in the allotted time (if it says 7 hours, then they will probably spend about that amount of time on it) some are shorter than that. most are about 4-6 hours long (including breaks and whatnot) and yes there is a "test" at the end of each lesson (tests are more like quizzes, the scores are not recorded) let me know when you get a class date

will do and thanks again!!!:)

A little bit of good news about the per diem stuff:

They said I should expect to wait two weeks for the payment to post. I actually turned it in Tuesday and It got deposited this morning. Most people in my class that turned it in on tuesday also got it today.

Hey Mugenfan, thanks for all the info -

So how much time per day / week do you anticipate studying outside of class? I know basics will probably be different than the rest of the training, but I was just curious.

Other than studying, how do you keep yourself occupied?

- just wondering how many titles from my collection of paperback romance novels I should pack.....

Hey Mugenfan, thanks for all the info -

So how much time per day / week do you anticipate studying outside of class? I know basics will probably be different than the rest of the training, but I was just curious. Average about an hour a two a night. Before a block test I run through all the lesson tests in one shot (about 70-80 questions) and grade it. There is no studying for me on the weekend at this point. It may happen as it is getting more difficult.

Other than studying, how do you keep yourself occupied? anything that keeps me out of the apartment. More often than not I'll just drive somewhere random. Be sure to talk to people in your class, they are just as bored at home as you are.

- just wondering how many titles from my collection of paperback romance novels I should pack.....all of them

Just wanted to say thank you for your information. It's really cool that you get on here and let us know what it's like for you. Mucho appreciated!!!

Would one of you guys who has the lesson plan cd be willing to send me a copy?!? I'd love to be able to review this information ahead of time...and I'd be forever greatful!!! :eek:

Would one of you guys who has the lesson plan cd be willing to send me a copy?!? I'd love to be able to review this information ahead of time...and I'd be forever greatful!!! :eek:

If ya'll want to PM me your email addresses then I will send them to you. Mind you it's about 10 email full of PDF files. I already sent them to esw2005 so it's not a prob at all!

I've got it where you can download it if you want. Might be little easier then emailing it. PM me if you want me to send you the link and password.

guys, in all honesty....you will have PLENTY of time to go over this stuff in basics. if anything you will find yourself bored and trying to fight to stay awake by going over the stuff before you get there

guys, in all honesty....you will have PLENTY of time to go over this stuff in basics. if anything you will find yourself bored and trying to fight to stay awake by going over the stuff before you get there

I've been told if you have any sort of aviation background you can pretty much breeze through the basics course. Even with that said, it never hurts to read ahead and know what to expect. You can disregard my PM, I was able to get them from Lalexf. Either way, thanks and good luck.

I know I have only just finished the first week, but basics is pretty basic. With everything you discuss, they'll go off on a tangent telling a story, or giving more detail, but they'll finish up with "but you'll go into more detail about that later. You don't need to worry about that right now"

Basics is very basic, but informative as well. Even though they say they are still working on the tests and lessons to get them better, the information is organized very well, and the class moves just fast enough to keep you interested and a little challenged, but slow enough to be able to keep up pretty easily.

So far it does not seem like basics is really anything to worry about. I hesitate to say this, because I don't want to fit in THAT group, but it kind of validates the complaint of current CPC's that say the academy doesn't really weed out the bad seeds. I can kind of see their point.

Oh, and the instructors rock. They're good people. Much better than any other college professor I ever had...

Back