Basic's Class Info That I Can Share

I know I have only just finished the first week, but basics is pretty basic. With everything you discuss, they'll go off on a tangent telling a story, or giving more detail, but they'll finish up with "but you'll go into more detail about that later. You don't need to worry about that right now"

Basics is very basic, but informative as well. Even though they say they are still working on the tests and lessons to get them better, the information is organized very well, and the class moves just fast enough to keep you interested and a little challenged, but slow enough to be able to keep up pretty easily.

So far it does not seem like basics is really anything to worry about. I hesitate to say this, because I don't want to fit in THAT group, but it kind of validates the complaint of current CPC's that say the academy doesn't really weed out the bad seeds. I can kind of see their point.

Oh, and the instructors rock. They're good people. Much better than any other college professor I ever had...
Just curious, who are your instructors?

no we got a guy by the name of mike bender. he was pretty cool. he knew SO much. cant tell you how many times he went off on a tangent about something

no we got a guy by the name of mike bender. he was pretty cool. he knew SO much. cant tell you how many times he went off on a tangent about something
Yeah, we had Mike for Tower Visability in phase 2. He's pretty cool and like you said he does go off on tangents occasionally.

I had Jack as an instructor. Pretty good guy. Not positive, but I think he worked all three types of ATC (Tower, Tracon and Center) - I'm positive he worked tower and center. He'll tell lots of stories about Hawaii and the San Francisco areas.
I wonder why Jack isn't paired with Rich anymore. When I went through Basics, Rich was our Lead and Jack the A-Lead.

I've been told if you have any sort of aviation background you can pretty much breeze through the basics course. Even with that said, it never hurts to read ahead and know what to expect. You can disregard my PM, I was able to get them from Lalexf. Either way, thanks and good luck.

That's not true. A clean slate is a lot easier to teach then it is to re-teach someone. As a matter of fact, some of the guys here that have aviation backgrounds are having to retake some of the block tests while people with no experience continue on.

Justin538, just wait. It'll get more in depth. When you need to memorize aircraft based on a picture, memorize the contents of FAR's, and memorize the stipulations and characteristics of airspace classes you'll start to get challenged. Not a bad challenge, more of a "keep-you-on-your-toes" challenge.

Then again, if you are going into tower/tracon, they don't seem to spend as much time on that type of stuff with you guys.

I guess that's why us en-routers make the big bucks. :laff:

come on now. we all know enroute is just so pilots have somebody to talk to between airports (where the real work happens)

So the en-route/terminal feud continues with the new generation?:)

Hey there mugen....quick question....when did you start? I am trying to figure out when we will get paid first, roughly. My dad is loaning me money and I am guessing about the 3rd week I should be able to start paying him back??? Just curious. I saw that you got your per diem last week and I believe that was about a week after you submitted your reciepts. Thanks for your advise. See ya soon!

Hey there mugen....quick question....when did you start? I am trying to figure out when we will get paid first, roughly. My dad is loaning me money and I am guessing about the 3rd week I should be able to start paying him back??? Just curious. I saw that you got your per diem last week and I believe that was about a week after you submitted your reciepts. Thanks for your advise. See ya soon!

I started on the 19th of August. I got my paycheck on 9th or september. The next one is 23rd of september and continues every other tuesday there on.

The per diem can be turned in 15 days after the day before your class date. Then expect it to be direct deposited between 5 days and two weeks.

I'd tell your dad to expect the money about a month or so in.

yeah they say it could be there in about 3 days but i havent talked to anybody who has had money in their account in less than 5 days. it would be safe for you to tell him a month. then if you get it sooner you can surprise him

So the en-route/terminal feud continues with the new generation?:)
its all in good fun. i respect what enroute does.

its all in good fun. i respect what enroute does.

I got respect for you guys too. It seems like a lot of info that we get told seems to end with

".....but you don't really need to get into that since your enrouters."

Makes me wonder how you guys end up having to know more than us yet you leave sooner.

That's not true. A clean slate is a lot easier to teach then it is to re-teach someone. As a matter of fact, some of the guys here that have aviation backgrounds are having to retake some of the block tests while people with no experience continue on.

Justin538, just wait. It'll get more in depth. When you need to memorize aircraft based on a picture, memorize the contents of FAR's, and memorize the stipulations and characteristics of airspace classes you'll start to get challenged. Not a bad challenge, more of a "keep-you-on-your-toes" challenge.

Then again, if you are going into tower/tracon, they don't seem to spend as much time on that type of stuff with you guys.

I guess that's why us en-routers make the big bucks. :laff:

Umm I don't know about the aviation background of the people in your class but as far as I can see basics is private pilot ground. There are some new things like radar and seperation stuff but all the other stuff should be review for most private pilots. It makes me wonder if those guys are being too cocky. I'm an instructor and I still make sure to study every night even if it is review.. After all they are paying me to be here its my job to make sure I do my part. But so far the majority has been stuff on a private pilot level or less. I do think the FAA really does care about the quality of training. They have people evaluating the instructors and the courses they really make sure you know whats going on. I will also say I think a pilot has a leg up in the basics course but I think I will be at a disadvantage come Tower Cab class. I have learned "pilot phraseology" instead of the proper stuff. Which means I just have to study hard and break some habits that I might have. Oh and by the way I love en-routers someone has to work in the basement:)

Umm I don't know about the aviation background of the people in your class but as far as I can see basics is private pilot ground. There are some new things like radar and seperation stuff but all the other stuff should be review for most private pilots. It makes me wonder if those guys are being too cocky. I'm an instructor and I still make sure to study every night even if it is review.. After all they are paying me to be here its my job to make sure I do my part. But so far the majority has been stuff on a private pilot level or less. I do think the FAA really does care about the quality of training. They have people evaluating the instructors and the courses they really make sure you know whats going on. I will also say I think a pilot has a leg up in the basics course but I think I will be at a disadvantage come Tower Cab class. I have learned "pilot phraseology" instead of the proper stuff. Which means I just have to study hard and break some habits that I might have. Oh and by the way I love en-routers someone has to work in the basement:)
a good portion of basics focuses on a good portion of stuff you learn as a private pilot. it was all a review for me till we got to ifr high and low altitude charts, and approach plates.

a good portion of basics focuses on a good portion of stuff you learn as a private pilot. it was all a review for me till we got to ifr high and low altitude charts, and approach plates.

Makes me wonder how you guys end up having to know more than us yet you leave sooner.

we dont spend as much time doing non radar. we do tabletops for like 2 weeks, then we spend the rest of the time in the tower cab simulators which is radar

we dont spend as much time doing non radar. we do tabletops for like 2 weeks, then we spend the rest of the time in the tower cab simulators which is radar

Did you guys spend about a week on weather? That stuff was so dry. I have to retake a block test tomorrow because I missed 4 instead of the required 3. It's the first one I had to retake. I was pretty mad when I got the results back this morning.

Back