What you wished you'd known before taking the AT-SAT

Honestly, if you can, review the green air traffic control book to get a really good sense of what to expect from the ATSAT. The Jeremy Justice games help alot too. Basically, you can't study for the exam, but you can familiarize yourself with the nuances of it, giving you more of an edge than someone who is cold off the street. I know it helped me, particularly through the ATC scenarios. I received a 95, but never got a PEPC.
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Were your geo. prefs really limited?

I had studied for a few weeks for this exam using the Prep CD and Math Prep and I wish that i hadn't. I can honestly say that if i went in there blankly i would have scored higher than I did. I was over analyzing the math as i was taught to break problems down but after the first couple of questions i realized that it was just simple math and i didnt stress from there.

From speaking with one of the instructors he informed me that the highest weighted portion of the AT-SAT is the personality test at the end and the scenarios is the lowest weighted. I crashed a couple of planes and still scored a 95.

So the biggest piece of advice i can give to you is to not stress it, it will be easier than you think.

I had studied for a few weeks for this exam using the Prep CD and Math Prep and I wish that i hadn't. I can honestly say that if i went in there blankly i would have scored higher than I did.

I guess this proves it depends on the person. I felt way better about the test because I studied first. Ironically I got a 95 as well, and felt like the pre-test study probably benefited me to the tune of 5-10 points (very rough estimate) There's no way to say for sure, but I really felt more confident about it at least.

I was over analyzing the math as i was taught to break problems down but after the first couple of questions i realized that it was just simple math and i didnt stress from there.

Yes, it's simple math, probably 4th-6th grade level.

From speaking with one of the instructors he informed me that the highest weighted portion of the AT-SAT is the personality test at the end and the scenarios is the lowest weighted. I crashed a couple of planes and still scored a 95.

Our instructors said multiple times the personality section was not part of the score at all, so who knows.

So the biggest piece of advice i can give to you is to not stress it, it will be easier than you think.

good advice

Telling you the personality part isn't weighted is probably the only way to get accurate results. If they told you it was heavily weighted everyone would try and answer how they think the FAA wants, not honestly.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Were your geo. prefs really limited?

NY/NJ, not limited at all, and 6+ years education (masters) and work exp.

Also, like I said, preparation for the test helps you familiarize yourself; it really shouldn't hurt your score. Also, how can one really put a numerical grade to a personality test? I can see how the test could raise red flags for some answers, and also see how it can create a pretty distinct profile for the test taker, but I cannot see how they could say someone has a 7 personality and someone has a 10 personality. It isn't a dating service.

what is the personalities portion of the test? one of those tests where you answer questions with strong agree, agree, neutral, disagree, etc.?

and is there an aviation related section on the test? such as should as study stuff pertaining to ground, local, stuff like that? seperation?

what is the personalities portion of the test? one of those tests where you answer questions with strong agree, agree, neutral, disagree, etc.?

and is there an aviation related section on the test? such as should as study stuff pertaining to ground, local, stuff like that? seperation?

The test does NOT require any knowledge of aviation / air traffic.

Wow thanks to everyone who did (and may yet) respond here. I didn't mean to come off as overly "stressed out" however lol just wanting to pick the brains of those who have taken the test before, I just don't want to get blindsided by anything I suppose. Even though I am doing my best to prepare myself one never knows.............-

My wife is a FEBOT and has helped me with the "inside scoop". The CD helps, but don't depend on it completely. The Letter Factory gives you an idea of what to expect, ATST is slower on the test than the CD. Scan is pretty accurate. Dials, analogies, math aren't anyhting you can really study for...

It's an aptitude test, not a learned skills test. Do VRAs take the test too?

Thanks for correcting me. See, when I came in 22+ years ago, you have to know something about aviation. It was on the test. That way when we went to our facilities we didn't ask idiotic questions like when a new hire was asked at the tower the other day, "what kind of plane is that" (a B747 , and easily recognizable) the trainee said "fixed wing". I realize it is an aptitude test and we have had to dumb down the system because of the affairs the FFAA has put us in, but come on "a fixed wing".

Just make sure you dont stress, get a full night's rest and click that sticky about "All you need to know about the AT-SAT", important stuff in there. practice your math and I heard the end of the AT-SAT with all the questions is the most important. Also pray :)

I know there is a lot of this stuff already on here but I just wanted to reiterate a few myself.

First, thanks a ton to everyone on this forum. I took the AT-SAT yesterday and have been reading this forum for a long time.

Now, as far as the test goes, here are a few things that I will reiterate:

1. The proctors (Robinson Aviation) people DON'T care what you wear. Make yourself comfortable! They did an incredible job making all of us feel comfortable and went out of their way to help us get lunch and what not.

2. If your driving from a distance, get a hotel room at the hotel they are testing. This is the smartest thing I did (being I had six hour drive). It eliminates a lot of stress.

3. I know this is hard, but don't stress yourself out. Your not competing with everyone else in the room, your only competing against yourself. Stressing causes no good....

Also, to each his own with the green book. My advice, don't kill yourself practicing and studying. I don't think it would be valuable as the test runs slightly different than the software. However, I found it VERY valuable to at least know whats coming.

As far as the test itself, the dials, math, angles, and scan all were faster than I thought they would be (meaning they were relatively short). The letter factory goes on FOREVER and asks different questions (nearly impossible) than the software. The ATST I was fearing, but ended up being my favorite part of the test. The analogies were as difficult as everyone makes them out to be, but you'll get through.

I took the test yesterday so if you have any other questions, ask them while its fresh.

It's very easy to get stressed and a little freaked out when you get there. They scan your ID and make you pick up a disc with a number on the down-side of it to choose your computer. All in all it was a great experience. If I could tell you one thing about the test, it's TAKE YOUR BREAKS!!

I think that they stress it enough that you take your breaks, but go outside (if it's not raining, obviously). The fresh air will help you clear your mind. It is not a difficult test at all. Answer the personality questions honestly and forcefully. Don't hang in the middle on a lot of your answers--be sure of yourself. That's the whole point of tests like those anyways.

Be confident, focus, and take your breaks. You'll do great!

Uh, nope. VRA's shouldn't be taking the atsat. Maybe if they applied OTS but not if they're hired under a VRA announcement they shouldn't. Applying under a VRA announcement assumes you have prior ATC experience so what would be the point in taking the atsat?

HD

Thanks for correcting me. See, when I came in 22+ years ago, you have to know something about aviation. It was on the test. That way when we went to our facilities we didn't ask idiotic questions like when a new hire was asked at the tower the other day, "what kind of plane is that" (a B747 , and easily recognizable) the trainee said "fixed wing". I realize it is an aptitude test and we have had to dumb down the system because of the affairs the FFAA has put us in, but come on "a fixed wing".

HAHAHAHAH

Logical, on one level - sure as hell aint a blimp

I wish I would have know that people would be blurting out swear words....every so often..after crashing a plane into a wall.

I was on the section before the simulated atc..and I hear OH Shiat on my right. Then...30 seconds later I hear it on my left...

it was like turrets syndrome everywhere...

If I could tell you one thing about the test, it's TAKE YOUR BREAKS!!

I think that they stress it enough that you take your breaks, but go outside (if it's not raining, obviously). The fresh air will help you clear your mind.

Be confident, focus, and take your breaks. You'll do great!

I think that's great advice as well. Even if you don't feel like you need a break take one! You don't have to take the full 15 minutes, and you can take more than the schedule tells you to. Its nice just to get up and stretch! Time is on your side, so use it!

Back