More 737 News

I don't think I've ever flown a jet that that "stowed by 80" was a requirement. Reverse idle, maybe, but not necessarily stowed.
It’s not a thing here either, unless you’re flying with captain “why would anyone want to layover in downtown?” “The airport hotel has a fine cheeseburger!” “I DON’T TAKE PUBLIC TRANSIT”.

If you put a gun to my head and said “name the average Vref of the 737 or I’ll kill you” I’d probably die. We have way too many different variants and loads. But 140’s sounds about right much of the time. Easily into the 160’s with gusty winds and the appropriate additive though. I did learn a neat thing in recurrent this year. Your V2 speed is pretty close to your TO GW, if you move the decimal place 3 left. Not an exact science, or even something that could qualify as a rule-of-thumb, but more of an observation that one can use to sanity check the V speeds
As a Pax who flys, I've got a question: So, even with a 15-20kt gusting headwind, you're saying in a pax-max 8, 123-132kt GS via foreflight is too slow? I kinda thought so. Especially since the engines kept going from idle to somewhere close to Max over and over during 8 mile final. The max power was applied after FF GS read 123. Seemed a bit late, but, you know, I'm picky.

It's my runway until I'm done with it. So they can go fly their tower. I'll turn off when I'm good and ready.

Oh, I don't disagree at all - don't misunderstand me. I just think the sarcasm coming from those towers would be utterly hilarious.

Stowed before beginning to roll backwards. That works :)

1712867739960.jpeg

It's my runway until I'm done with it. So they can go fly their tower. I'll turn off when I'm good and ready.

On the contrary, unnecessary dilly dallying on the runway isn’t kosher either though. Exit when safe to do so. But I’d expect someone who slowed to 10 knots, then continued to roll 7000 feet to the end exit, and caused numerous go arounds, wouldn’t be able to use the above as their defense.

On the contrary, unnecessary dilly dallying on the runway isn’t kosher either though. Exit when safe to do so. But I’d expect someone who slowed to 10 knots, then continued to roll 7000 feet to the end exit, and caused numerous go arounds, wouldn’t be able to use the above as their defense.
Don't be hyperbolic Mike. You know what I meant. I'm not slamming on the brakes to make a turnoff, nor am I racing down the runway to rush off at the end only to slide into the grass. (see IAH incident)

I don't rush, ATC desires be damned.

Don't be hyperbolic Mike. You know what I meant. I'm not slamming on the brakes to make a turnoff, nor am I racing down the runway to rush off at the end only to slide into the grass. (see IAH incident)

I don't rush, ATC desires be damned.

Absolutely, I was just asking, because I have seen the guys who will leisurely do the extreme end of idiotic stuff like this because they think have the I own the runway idea. In fact, that was the response of one dope who did just that to ATC, as I’m making my go around behind him. And it wasn’t the next exit or two or even three, it was slow roll to the one that was convenient to the gate area he was headed to.

But yeah, exit consistent with what is safe. Don’t jam the brakes, but also don’t dilly dally. And for the ATC side, don’t have arrivals so tight that there isn’t some flexibility for someone who may not be able to reasonably make the same taxiway exit that others have been doing all day.

Virtual airline had several brake seizures. One was in DEN. Hot day, windy, one TR deferred. Used flaps 15 for winds and used AB 3. Reverse on only one engine. Landed, cleared runway, had to hold for a while, parking brake on. Brakes seized. Couldn’t move, had to to tow in.

Another, LAS. Hot day. Landed 26L with AB 3 and made A5. Full stop to hold short of 26R. Brakes seized. Tow in.

If you make A5 at Vegas on a hot day, that’s just dumb.

So virtual airline put above clarification on AB usage and techniques and best temps.

The 757/767 is not the 737. We don’t have landing speeds approaching the sound barrier. We also have twice the amount of main gear wheels, and thus brakes, as the guppy.

A fairly heavy 757 landing at Autobrakes 3 barely warms up the BTMS. We use AB3 all the time on this fleet at widget.

Sucks you can’t try 0 or AB1.

3 isnt really necessary unless contaminated, strong crosswind, or short runway. Especially on a hot day!

Do you not have HUDs with roll out info on landing? Full reverse on the -900ER initially shows a deceleration to the equaivajet of AB 3 anyway. As you slow, the effectiveness is less and it shows an AB2 decel level.

On the screen it shows…

MAX

With a > carrot symbol.

That > symbol will touch 3 with full reverse, as you slow, the > symbol will show next to 2. And continues decreasing towards 1 as you slow.

Another thing I’ve seen some FOs do is hit the brakes as soon as we touchdown with full reverse out. That sends the decel carrot (which would have been at 3 anyway) towards MAX, and even below the screen which means they’re commanding a decel rate even beyond what AB MAX would. 100% guaranteed shuddering brakes on arrival to gate.

And the -700 approach speeds are much less than a -900ER or MAX9. I don’t fly the -700 much, but when I do it reminds me of the A319.

A319 = -700
A320 = -800/MAX8
A321 = -900ER/MAX9

Sucks you can’t try 0 or AB1.

3 isnt really necessary unless contaminated, strong crosswind, or short runway. Especially on a hot day!

Do you not have HUDs with roll out info on landing? Full reverse on the -900ER initially shows a deceleration to the equaivajet of AB 3 anyway. As you slow, the effectiveness is less and it shows an AB2 decel level.

On the screen it shows…

MAX

With a > carrot symbol.

That > symbol will touch 3 with full reverse, as you slow, the > symbol will show next to 2. And continues decreasing towards 1 as you slow.

Another thing I’ve seen some FOs do is hit the brakes as soon as we touchdown with full reverse out. That sends the decel carrot (which would have been at 3 anyway) towards MAX, and even below the screen which means they’re commanding a decel rate even beyond what AB MAX would. 100% guaranteed shuddering brakes on arrival to gate.

This is why people don’t take you seriously. It’s a completely different aircraft. The 757/767 is not a 737. wHy doNt u fLy a cOmPletEly dIfFeReNt aIrCrAft ThE sAmE???!1!1!1! You’re trying to compare AB3 on your crap guppy vs something that’s in a different universe.

The 7ER fleet at Widget is a glorified 6-pack. We have an EADI, EHSI and analog altimeter/VSI/airspeed indicator. We have to manually set speed bugs in this fleet.

The brakes on these aircraft are incredibly effective and they take a LOT to heat up. It is a non-issue.

I’ll give you another example. I landed in SXM with an 8 knot tailwind in the 757, autobrakes 4. STILL didn’t see anything higher than 4 out of 9 on the hottest wheel on the BTMS. And still didn’t use full reverse either.

I’m sure your knowledge is good on the guppy, but you’re speaking out of your ass here on an aircraft you have literally zero experience with.

This is why people don’t take you seriously. It’s a completely different aircraft. The 757/767 is not a 737. wHy doNt u fLy a cOmPletEly dIfFeReNt aIrCrAft ThE sAmE???!1!1!1! You’re trying to compare AB3 on your crap guppy vs something that’s in a different universe.

The 7ER fleet at Widget is a glorified 6-pack. We have an EADI, EHSI and analog altimeter/VSI/airspeed indicator. We have to manually set speed bugs in this fleet.

The brakes on these aircraft are incredibly effective and they take a LOT to heat up. It is a non-issue.

I’ll give you another example. I landed in SXM with an 8 knot tailwind in the 757, autobrakes 4. STILL didn’t see anything higher than 4 out of 9 on the hottest wheel on the BTMS. And still didn’t use full reverse either.

I’m sure your knowledge is good on the guppy, but you’re speaking out of your ass here on an aircraft you have literally zero experience with.

This is a 737 thread and I was referring to the 737. I never brought up the 757/767 and have no clue about those airplanes. Someone made a comment that at Widget, the 737 requires AB 2 or more, no choice of AB 0 or 1. That was my commentary. Unless that was for the 757/767 then I apologize. I don’t mean to make any commentary on that fleet because I’ve never flown it, I’ll defer to you and others on that one.

This is a 737 thread and I was referring to the 737. I never brought up the 757/767 and have no clue about those airplanes. Someone made a comment that at Widget, the 737 requires AB 2 or more, no choice of AB 0 or 1. That was my commentary. Unless that was for the 757/767 then I apologize. I don’t mean to make any commentary on that fleet because I’ve never flown it, I’ll defer to you and others on that one.

Apologies, I thought you responded to someone earlier in the thread who’s on the 757.

Pray for a short captain if you’re ever gonna take the second Guppy jumpseat.

I've sat behind the captain on long flights while Jumpseating in my 20's. My knees would go on strike if I tried that nowadays.

Back