SWA pulling out of four cities

If the primary purpose of these businesses was truly to turn a profit, then we’d let them fail when they don’t. But explicitly or not, we all recognize that they play a way bigger role in society than making a profit for their shareholders. That’s not a bad thing, but we should just openly admit it and they should be run and regulated with that in mind.

I'm not sure what argument you're making here. What is it you want openly admitted? That "we" think Boeing should be nationalized? The "run and regulated" part of your last sentence is confusing to me.

I'm not sure what argument you're making here. What is it you want openly admitted? That "we" think Boeing should be nationalized? The "run and regulated" part of your last sentence is confusing to me.
He thinks people are dumb and the government is smart.

Last time I flew UAL through IAH, I swore I would never spend another dollar on their brand. A couple years later, I gave in on my promise to never fly that airline again. But through DEN. Totally great service. Houston is a trash bin. Literally the worst customer service city in the entire world. Laziest people and culture I've ever encountered anywhere. I'd stretch that statement to the entire state of TX, but there are some pretty good small town eateries where the service is still great.....not at the airports though....NOT AT THE AIRPORTS

Last time I flew UAL through IAH, I swore I would never spend another dollar on their brand. A couple years later, I gave in on my promise to never fly that airline again. But through DEN. Totally great service. Houston is a trash bin. Literally the worst customer service city in the entire world. Laziest people and culture I've ever encountered anywhere. I'd stretch that statement to the entire state of TX, but there are some pretty good small town eateries where the service is still great.....not at the airports though....NOT AT THE AIRPORTS
I try to avoid United. No matter the hub.

Tell me you haven't been to Memphis without telling me you haven't been to Memphis.

Tell me you haven't been to Memphis without telling me you haven't been to Memphis.

The old terminal in MEM got a pass because of the perpetual BBQ marination that greeted you as they cracked the cabin door. It served to tingle the sensations, whet the appetite and ready you for Corkeys or Interstate.

MEM without that seems sad.

Absolutely, if the major airlines and Boeing are so important to the national economy and in Boeings case, national defense, that we won’t allow the normal rules of capitalism to apply to them, then my preferred course of action would be to nationalize them and run them as infrastructure. If not that, then at least something akin to re-regulation where they don’t get to, say, start/end service, make big staff cuts, etc without regulatory approval. Oh, and labor unions would get seats on the board of directors and ownership stakes. So in the end sure, they’re allowed to turn a profit, but making money every single quarter is no longer the guiding star.

I know it’s unrealistic, but you did ask.

Of course I also think any airline route under about 500 miles should be replaced with a nationalized high speed rail service so that’s another unpopular opinion 😛

Last edited:
Of course another permissible alternative would be anti-trust regulations with teeth so that no company can ever be allowed to become too big to fail.

Of course another permissible alternative would be anti-trust regulations with teeth so that no company can ever be allowed to become too big to fail.

Unfortunately that has the side effect of many small competitors who are so cut-throat, nothing ever gets done and no one ever moves up the tech tree.

Look at AT&T. They had government sanctioned immunity, but because of that, they had money to burn on "big science", and invented trivial things like the transistor and the laser. Bell Labs, at one point, was the pre-eminent facility of its kind in the entire world.

You don't get there with a 2-3% margin.

The trade off is they, or their proxies, were required to provide phone service to practically the entire continent to whoever asked, at a reasonable, but not rock bottom price, including places that barely had electricity.

Airline regulation is sort of the same thing. The folks who started the whole thing knew that the current state of the industry in the 20's-30's, marginal operators barely scratching out to break even would never advance the cause. Regulation prevented wanton competition, keep fares and margins high, advance the cause of the industry. In return, they had to serve every crossroads that had an open field.

I suspect this will repeat itself when we get into no-kidding space transport.

Unfortunately that has the side effect of many small competitors who are so cut-throat, nothing ever gets done and no one ever moves up the tech tree.

There are other ways to deal with this, though. No one is suggesting that, for example, the government shouldn't sign contracts with these competitors, even massive contracts. With, of course, severe and strict oversight.

Back