Oh Japan....

D
Are they Portuguese, or Catholics? Anjin sama hates the Catholics!

I visited the Nagasaki Peace Memorial and was surprised to find that many of the American and European tourists there were touring Christian landmarks. I was somewhat ignorant of Nagasaki’s history prior to my visit.

Answering the question, I haven’t seen Americans at the Hiroshima memorial but saw some as the Nagasaki memorial and they were quiet and respectful.

I recall once being on the USS Arizona Memorial, after being advised on the boat ride out in a few different languages that this is a grave site and silence is akin to respect. Once we got off the boat and onto the memorial the majority of the Asians in the group treated it as if they were at Diamond Head next to Waikiki noisily trying to take pictures of fish. Zero respect paid at a very somber place. It is what it is.
Hmm, Ive been out to the Memorial many times and not once have I witnessed that behavior from Asians or anyone for that matter. Maybe it was a bad day.

I'm married into a Japanese family (my wife is half) and I'd be pretty shocked if people you saw acting crazy were mostly Japanese. Anything WWII I've found is still semi taboo... Those that would visit a pearl harbor site I can't imagine being anything other then completely respectful. Went to Hiroshima with my wife last year and for a half Japanese women whose grandfather was a US marine in WWII and relatives that served on the other side it is quite the emotional experience. My wife broke down and had to leave listening to a Japanese dad pretty eloquently explain the atomic bombs to his younger son. Definitely an experience that you don't forget and puts a lot of things into perspective when dealing with everyones "problems" in our current age.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEP
I never said the people I was at the memorial with were Japanese, I said they were Asian. Maybe it was just bad luck for me.

Every time I hear some moron make cartoonish “let’s roll” affirmations around 9/11, I think about what happened to my friend Leroy that day and I just want to slap people.
Every time I’m at the training center I take a second to look at the plaque with his and the other names from that flight. I just can’t even imagine…

Back